Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone on DT:
My family and I are looking for a companion Dobe for Kira Hime, yes must be a Dobe and a female!

I have been calling around shelters, (visited two dobermans yesterday with no match made unfortunatly) checking classified adds, calling breeders, leaving messages asking if they have a returned Dobe for adoption. I have spoken with "A FEW" rescues but I am also expanding searches.

I would be willing to travel for a meet and greet (yes, I will be bringing Kira) for about 2 hours one way or one more if YOU ARE CERTIAN YOU HAVE THE ONE! As 6 hours to just turn away right after I get somewhere would really be well... you get the idea! I live in Melbourne Florida next to the Space Center.
;)

What we are looking for:
*Young female between 1-3 years old, I would consider a bit younger but ONLY IF HOUSE TRAINED!
*Likes to play (romp) not a fragile delicate girl please! Kira is built like her daddy, a "BrickHouse!" Topping off at standard height, 70lbs. of muscle and a strong thick bone structure.
*Other dog friendly; as we have several fur friends in the neighborhood we play with OFF LEASH!
*CAT FRIENDLY; we also have two Siamese cats one is 12 and the other turned 14 this March! We love them and Kira gives them enough hell! :screama:

** I would really appreshiate a dobe who walks nicely on a leash as Kira has forgotten some of her basics and I am doing more work with this! However this is not a requirement just a silent wish!**

*** HEALTHY PLEASE, unless you know of a Dobe who is in a shelter and no medical history is known... Please consider what we are looking for is a long, happy life as part of our family and a compainon. ***

What we already have in our Dobe Girl and home:
*Kira has just turned one this past December.
*She's very sweet, shy at first Doberman but loves everyone after a few good tail sniffs and about 10 minutes and the shy-ness disappears!
*Kira is not dog aggressive at all! REALLY a soft, loving BABY!
*She sleeps in a king sized bed with us and has free range threw the house at all times, she's never crated either.
*We have a tall PVC fence and a back yard big enough for sunbathing, a tussle and use as a restroom! (we pick up poop) Not to much running room, but yes there is plenty of play room!
*I spend 2 hours either taking her for a hike or to the dog park. We throw balls and have several fur friends and a Dobe pack (I call often) who like to chase each other around and play tug. As long as no pittbulls show up, questionable dogs or too many pups we enjoy our time here SO MUCH!
*We will be doing agility but, I don't plan on doing this with both dogs myself. I will be investing in some equipment for use at home but just for practice.
*We will be investing in a doggy door as Kira has become nurotic :p and loves going in and out with all of the nice cool weather we've been having!
*She takes another long leashed walk in the evening with Daddy.
*We own our own house too.

Some other important information you might want to know:
*Yes we can afford another Doberman!
*I work at night, my husband works during the daytime so the Dobe would only be left alone during routine chores.
*No I have no small children, and will never have another child! Two 16 year old teenagers.
*I wouldn't be against a doberman who uses a crate, it just wasn't Kira's thing!
*Yes she is on heartworm preventitive meds, and has all her shots (she's due in April.)
*I never hit and don't believe in it!

If you got threw all of this I want to say thank you and sorry about the spelling errors :thanx:

Please call around if you know of a Doberman in need of a home or if you think your breeder might have a Dobe returned for adoption.

Also I wanted to mention we are not looking to pay $$$ for someone to sell us a Dobe, or we would just purchase another puppy from our breeder or another breeder. We are trying to extend our hand to a family who needs to re-home their loved pet or a Doberman in need.

And yes I know about Petfinder...

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!

I WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER BREED OF DOG HAVING OWNED A DOBERMAN PINSCHER

·
Banned
3,463 Posts
Is Kira spayed? IMO, from looking at your wishlist and things that you are looking for, you'd be better off adopting a dog from a REPUTABLE rescue and not directly from a shelter. If the dog comes in as a stray, the shelter will know very little if nothing about the dogs habits. Even if the dog was an owner turn in, I wouldn't trust it because sometimes the owners will lie. I'd stay away from Craiglist too and just focus on REPUTABLE rescues. There are PLENTY of Doberman's in need of good homes in Florida and there are quite a few REPUTABLE rescues in the state (however, there is one that I would stay FAR away from- PM me if you want the name).

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is Kira spayed? IMO, from looking at your wishlist and things that you are looking for, you'd be better off adopting a dog from a REPUTABLE rescue and not directly from a shelter. If the dog comes in as a stray, the shelter will know very little if nothing about the dogs habits. Even if the dog was an owner turn in, I wouldn't trust it because sometimes the owners will lie. I'd stay away from Craiglist too and just focus on REPUTABLE rescues. There are PLENTY of Doberman's in need of good homes in Florida and there are quite a few REPUTABLE rescues in the state (however, there is one that I would stay FAR away from- PM me if you want the name).
Sent you a PM :thanx:

·
Super Moderator
21,913 Posts
Well, I'm going to go ahead and say that I honestly think you should wait. You mention "Kira has forgotten some of her basics" and she's still just a year old. I strongly recommend people wait until the first dog is more mature and very solid in their training before bringing in another dog.

I'm really glad you want to rescue, and I think if you wait a year you'll be in a much better position to adopt. That's just my opinion, but most people here on DT also recommend waiting until your dog is at least two years old. If you do decide to go ahead anyway, I second Astra's recommendation to work only with a reputable rescue.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I'm going to go ahead and say that I honestly think you should wait. You mention "Kira has forgotten some of her basics" and she's still just a year old. I strongly recommend people wait until the first dog is more mature and very solid in their training before bringing in another dog.

I'm really glad you want to rescue, and I think if you wait a year you'll be in a much better position to adopt. That's just my opinion, but most people here on DT also recommend waiting until your dog is at least two years old. If you do decide to go ahead anyway, I second Astra's recommendation to work only with a reputable rescue.

The "basics" I was refering to was only her leash walking. "Unfortunatly" the other family members let her act like a "jackass" ie. sled dog while they walk her. I never (vary rarely) have her on a leash when we do our exercise so it's not really a problem for me but, it is a problem and I don't like her position to pull straining herself.

I have broken down and finally bought a pinch collar already training her in the house. I've come to the conclusion that either myself or my husband are the only two to "walk her" until she gets back to her rythym. No, I will never let the teenagers walk her with that collar just encase you were worried :nicejob:.

:huepfenicon111:On a different note, I would like to anounce the happiness of bringing home a new family addition today! Kira Hime will be getting a new brother from our local shelter! :huepfenicon111:B]

He is a four year old, beautifully croped and docked, black Doberman named Mako! He was an owner surrender last Thursday who has won over the hearts of Kira and my family! Wasn't exactly what I was looking for (really wanted a female) but, has already rested his sweet head on Kira's back with the return of kisses from her at the pound. He's a thick boned Dobe whose underweight at the moment by about 15lbs. I would guess. A few inches taller then Kira and has the sweetest face and personality, not one bark or growl or any sign of intrest in aggression within the walls and metal fences of madness at the shelter! WALKS BEAUTIFULLY ON A LEASH!!! Already bottoms up playing with Kira Hime! Today he is being nutered, will be coming home around 3 this afternoon. Heartworm negitive and has well taken care of teeth! Seams not affected by cats at the shelter and hopefully stays this way as this would be the only possiable problem I would hope to avoid...

I sure hope he likes to sleep on the floor! As I have "Happily" already given up ampel amounts of space in my bed to be used as a pillow most nights to one spoiled Dober girl!

OH HAPPY DAY!

·
Super Moderator
21,913 Posts
On a different note, I would like to anounce the happiness of bringing home a new family addition today! Kira Hime will be getting a new brother from our local shelter!
Good luck with the new addition, and please share some pictures when you can.

Reactions: HerMewMew

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Good luck and take it slow! Remember he is brand new to your world and there is usually a honey-moon period with new dogs. If he is that underweight he might not feel 100% just yet, especially with just being neutered. I would do some reading here for some insight and I would not give a new dog such free-reign in the house, esp when it comes to sleeping as you are already making him king of the castle!:

Establishing pack structure with adult dogs

One more thing...if there is no proof that the owner kept up with HW prevention and had annual HW tests done every year, I would re-test your boy again in 6-7 months. I never take the first test for HW as gospel when it comes to shelter/rescue dogs. There have been times where we've pulled negative dogs from shelters who end up actually being HW positive months later when the worms finally show up on a test.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes thank you ZeldaRules!
I have been doing tons of reading!
Every bit of HELPFULL advise helps!
I will be taking him to our regualr vet as well!
I also will be looking threw the DT topics for helpfull ideas to get him back into his healthy weight.

I will be taking a lot of photos of my new boy but, will probally not get back to wasting much time on the computer for a while! I will get some up this weekend! We are very excited to save another life!

·
Banned
3,463 Posts
HerMewMew, I'm not going to lie- I wasn't exactly thrilled to see that you had adopted another dog, especially since you had gotten him from a shelter. I agree with MeadowCat and think that you should've waited longer before adding another dog to your home. I tried to be very polite in my first post to this thread in reccomending that you go to a reputable rescue if you were going to add another dog right now, because I knew that a REPUTABLE rescue probably wouldn't adopt another dog to you right now if you were honest with them about your current dog Kira and based on the fact that she is not spayed. I do not think that adopting a dog directly from a shelter was the best decision on your part and I am waiting to see how this plays out. I hope that you are good at reading dog behavior and that you know how to properly introduce a shelter dog into your home. Doberman's are one of the breeds that I do not like to see adopted directly out of shelters. My wish is that they could all be taken in by REPUTABLE Doberman rescues that would take the time to properly evaluate them and place them in the right homes, homes that would give them their best chance of becoming their forever homes.

I am not picking on you, but I hope that you have really thought out this decision of adopting this dog. Now that you have adopted him, I hope that you realize that should you not take the time and dedication that he will need to become a forever member of your family and things don't work out, this boy will have a huge strike against him should you return him to the shelter. I would ask that if for some reason things don't work out, and again I'm going to be honest and say that I don't have a whole lot of faith that they will, that you contact a REPUTABLE Doberman rescue before returning him to the shelter.

I do wish you luck with your new addition and really do hope that things work out and that Mako becomes a forever member of your family :) PLEASE, if you have any questions or issues, don't hesitate to post them to DT. There are many people on this forum that are willing to help and the main goal is to make Mako's transistion into your home and Kira's as easy as possible. Good luck :)

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
ASTRA; Thank you for your negitive words of wisdom and forthsight...

I was never dishonnest with any rescue about Kira not being spayed and also don't feel my decisions for my home situation should be baised on someone else's opinions without current knowledge of the way my home works daily.

Your right I don't fit the PERFECT MOLD for a rescue to adopt to me, which is fine by me. I was either going to adopt one from a shelter, find one whose owner had fallen on hard times or purchase another puppy from Kira's breeder hopefully before May. I looked very carefully at the ones I met and honestly didn't expect to find one so quickly...

Mako was not what I was looking for but Kira fell in love with him instantly and him as well with her! Bottoms up within the first 10 minutes play, play, play at the pound and his head on her and her licking his face.
Barking, madness, scary people, fearfull place and yet Mako didn't even flinch at anything.

I have listened to people tell me that you can't have two females, I know of plenty who do. I've listened to people tell me Kira will turn into some sort of "aggressive" Doberman, well that will never happen. I've hurd no two males in the same household, also it can be harmonous I have a friend with a few. Also no open bowl feeding, Kira has an open bowl. Dobermans should be crated, Kira's not in a crate ever. I was also turned down by 2 "Reputable Breeders" in search of my first Doberman, I guess to other Doberman people think I shouldn't own one. YES I GOT IT, I UNDERSTAND COMPLETLY I DON'T FIT PERFECTLY!

Funny because I have Kira Hime now for over a year and she looks abused or mistreated, or somehow retarded becuase I am her owner?

I am not speaking out against anyone whose cared for this breed longer then I am old. I know there are plenty of DT members who are on a respectfull "expert level" which I am not.

I could go on and on if I needed to about what's commonly preached & how it can differ but, the main point here is...
Mako is safe from the pound in a loving home with his sister Kira and his two Siamese'ES!:D

Not all dobermans are the same, everyone is different no matter how close the mold is.

Also if anyone feels the need to "educate me" with there hypithical words, you will not be getting a reply. I have a new family member in the household who had surgery yesterday and he deserves a warm welcome with attention. Plus I type really slow.

INTRODUCING MAKO, a 4 year old pound puppy:baby:

·
Banned
3,463 Posts
Mako is very handsome. Please keep in mind that introductions to both humans and other animals should be done SLOWLY- think baby steps. I would also keep a close eye on Mako's surgery site because looking at the one picture that you posted the area looks very swollen to me.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mako is very handsome. Please keep in mind that introductions to both humans and other animals should be done SLOWLY- think baby steps. I would also keep a close eye on Mako's surgery site because looking at the one picture that you posted the area looks very swollen to me.
Yes Mam, it is swollen... I called the vet already twice today and he has some medication now for it now and they suggested an ice pack if I can...
I will be keeping a very close eye on it.:thanx:

·
Super Moderator
21,913 Posts
I agree with Astra. With new dogs, especially when they come from a shelter situation, they may appear to be comfortable but on the inside they are a little bit terrified. Everything is really new and it can be overwhelming for them.

I would try to let him have a lot of time without interaction from either you guys or Kira. Ideally, if you can crate him for a couple of hours at a time, he can then observe what's going on in the household without being forced to interact. That will give him a much better sense of everything and help him get comfortable. If you aren't going to crate, you can use a baby gate to keep him in his own room. He can see out and watch, but again, doesn't have to interact.

Just take everything really slow. I'd also highly recommend brushing up on your "dog language" reading. Two dogs is a whole different ballgame, and it's so helpful to be able to see the small signs of stress in either dog before things escalate. I highly recommend Turid Rugaas's book, "Calming Signals," and you can also find a good Kikopup video on the topic here: How to communicate with a dog in their own language- dog training dog communication - YouTube

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Doberman's are one of the breeds that I do not like to see adopted directly out of shelters. My wish is that they could all be taken in by REPUTABLE Doberman rescues that would take the time to properly evaluate them and place them in the right homes, homes that would give them their best chance of becoming their forever homes.
QUOTE]

Astra; I also know of and have met this beautiful Male Doberman who is still in the Shelter in Cocoa Florida... TWO REPUTABLE RESCUES HAVE ALREADY BEEN TO THIS SHELTER AND TAKEN TWO OTHER FEMALE DOBERMANS WHO SHOWED UP AFTER HIM...

Since you do not like to see Dobermans directly adopted from shelters into familys who would love them, such as what my family and I have done with Mako...

I encourage you to extend your hand threw the REPUTABLE RESCUES you speak so highly about and figure out why he has been overlooked twice and left to sit in a hollow, unloving, shelter for over a month now?

Maybe you could network him and have him pulled, I would have loved to bring him home with my family but, unfortunatly he wasn't a perfect match for us... Central Brevard Humane Society
1020 Cox Road, Cocoa, FL 32926 321-636-3343

Kieser
Animal ID 15412765
Species Dog
Breed Doberman Pinscher/Purebred
Age 7 years 1 month
Sex Male
Size XL
Color Red/Tan
Spayed/Neutered
Declawed No
Housetrained Partially
Location Adopt Kennel
Intake Date 2/11/2012
Adoption Price $200.00

This handsome boy is Kieser. He was too active for his previous family, so they brought him to the shelter in February. Now this loveable boy is looking for a better match. Kieser is so friendly! He gets along great with other people, and is even affectionate to cats. Kieser will never turn down a car ride! He is a quick learner, and would love some guidence to improve his manners. Come meet this playful boy! He could be perfect for you!

·
Banned
35 Posts
Doberman's are one of the breeds that I do not like to see adopted directly out of shelters. My wish is that they could all be taken in by REPUTABLE Doberman rescues that would take the time to properly evaluate them and place them in the right homes, homes that would give them their best chance of becoming their forever homes.
QUOTE]

Astra; I also know of and have met this beautiful Male Doberman who is still in the Shelter in Cocoa Florida... TWO REPUTABLE RESCUES HAVE ALREADY BEEN TO THIS SHELTER AND TAKEN TWO OTHER FEMALE DOBERMANS WHO SHOWED UP AFTER HIM...

Since you do not like to see Dobermans directly adopted from shelters into familys who would love them, such as what my family and I have done with Mako...

I encourage you to extend your hand threw the REPUTABLE RESCUES you speak so highly about and figure out why he has been overlooked twice and left to sit in a hollow, unloving, shelter for over a month now?

Maybe you could network him and have him pulled, I would have loved to bring him home with my family but, unfortunatly he wasn't a perfect match for us... Central Brevard Humane Society
1020 Cox Road, Cocoa, FL 32926 321-636-3343

Kieser
Animal ID 15412765
Species Dog
Breed Doberman Pinscher/Purebred
Age 7 years 1 month
Sex Male
Size XL
Color Red/Tan
Spayed/Neutered
Declawed No
Housetrained Partially
Location Adopt Kennel
Intake Date 2/11/2012
Adoption Price $200.00

This handsome boy is Kieser. He was too active for his previous family, so they brought him to the shelter in February. Now this loveable boy is looking for a better match. Kieser is so friendly! He gets along great with other people, and is even affectionate to cats. Kieser will never turn down a car ride! He is a quick learner, and would love some guidence to improve his manners. Come meet this playful boy! He could be perfect for you!

I don't know you but I really like you. Thanks for speaking your mind.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts