Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Seeking Euro Pup
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These questions may seem novice, but here it goes...

I am looking for a European Doberman. I have read a lot of old threads on here already and know Im going to get a lot of backlash for this... but in my personal preference I like the Altobello appearance. I was previously looking at King of Black Shadow in Cali, and Britton Farms in Texas. I have read good and bad reviews from buyers about both places, and seen a lot of bad (puppy mill) type comments from other people on this forum.

That being said... does anyone know of any other reputable breeders that I can receive a similar looking dog from? I am dead set on the Euro type, and prefer a weight at or over 110. I am from Massachusetts but am willing to ship or import from anywhere.

My dog would just be a pet so a larger than standard one would be fine for me so long as its healthy.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Larger than standard and healthy do not go hand in hand.

95% of those euro dobes you are looking at (the ones from Britton Farms and King of Black Shadow, giant horrible puppmills) are obese. As in fat. They aren't healthy in the slightest. They put fat on them to make them look bigger.

The larger the dog is outside of the standard the more health problems they are likely to get. Joint issues, growth issues, tendon issues. Larger isn't better.

With that being said, I don't know any reputable euro breeders in the states. I'm sure someone will chime in though.

·
Pro Snake Wiggler
2,288 Posts
110 is over standard by quite a bit. Is there any particular reason you want such a large dog? The breed is a medium breed, and from reputable breeders you're way more likely to find medium dogs than overlarge.

There are plenty of Euro show breeders from around the States, though those who are reputable tend to be much more moderate than the look of the Altobello dogs. I have a Euro show (mostly) dog and he is definitely NOT the Altobello type- I'm not really a fan of their kennel or of most of their produced dogs, to be honest. They are involved in many sketchy bad reports, they do not fully health test, and they brag about how they produce hundreds of puppies per year. There are some nice dogs from the kennel, sure, but few and far between compared to the hundreds produced and you can bet that none of the nice dogs are sent across the world to a place they'll never be seen by the kennel again (or never bred, in your case!)

Why don't you tell us more about what you'd like to do with your dog? Is he just going to be an active family pet, or were you looking to work him or participate in sports?

·
Got mutt?
13,766 Posts
Welcome to DT.

If you are wanting a Euro-line dog from a good breeder, your best bet would be to check out the UDC's breeder list. UDC Breeder Directory You want to buy a puppy from someone who titles their dogs in conformation and/or performance, and does all the recommended health testing on breeding dogs, not someone who just brags about how big their dogs are.

You might also want to become familiar with the FCI standard for Dobermans, which isn't that far off from the AKC standard in terms of height and proportion.

FCI:
"SIZE AND WEIGHT :
Height at withers : Males : 68 – 72 cm. (26.77 – 28.35 in.)
Bitches : 63 – 68 cm. (24.80 – 26.77 in.)
Medium size desirable.
Weight : Males : about 40 – 45 kg. (88.18 – 99.21 lb.)
Bitches : about 32 – 35 kg. (70.55 – 77.16 lb.)"

AKC:
"SIZE, PROPORTION, SUBSTANCE

Height at the withers: Dogs 26 to 28 inches, ideal about 27 1/2 inches; Bitches 24 to 26 inches, ideal about 25 1/2 inches. The height, measured vertically from the ground to the highest point of the withers, equaling the length measured horizontally from the forechest to the rear projection of the upper thigh. Length of head, neck and legs in proportion to length and depth of body."

There are plenty of oversized Euro dogs in rescue, from the exact type of breeder you mentioned you had looked at, if you are interested in getting a rescue dog.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Rosemary gave you great advice! Personally I would speak to someone that has champion Euro Dobes in the U.S. Even if I purchased from Europe as they are who I trust! Marienburg has some great dogs!

Iceman has a lot of experience, you may want to private message him.

I would personally stay away from any breeder that's selling champion lines that isn't competing with their dogs. I promise you you WILL get what you pay for in this breed!

Best of luck in your search!

·
Bazinga!
4,534 Posts
I have an all euro boy and he is completely within standard!

While I understand you think bigger is better. That's not the way it is. Euro Dobes tend towards heavier bone than most (not all NA breeders).

Breeding outside the standard tells you that the breeders do not have the dogs best interests at heart.
In a breed already plagued with issues, bigger is most definitely not, Not better.

If you're truly intent on an oversized dog rescues often have quite a few as their breeders don't care what happens to them after the sale has gone through.

Please do your homework before purchasing. Euro does not mean an over sized dog!

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
My boy is 95lbs, and I can't imagine what he'd look like with another 15-20. He'd be a hippo.

IMO if you truly want a dog that large, you'd probably be happiest with another breed.

·
Super Moderator
21,713 Posts
Just be cautious about anyone who sent you something privately and isn't willing to post what they said here in public. We do have some people who join and never really contribute to the forum because they aren't actually helpful members who uphold what this forum stands for and they PM people information about poor quality breeders.

Just a warning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts