Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for a doberman and I need some questions answered before I go and look around.

Im used to pitbulls and I know there different as night and day so anything will help.

ears and so forth

I also heard its bad to adopt an older doberman especially with younger children because you dont know there disposition and its crucial when there in puppyhood.

what is paper thin ears what am I supposed to look for in ears

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I don't neccessarily agree that it is bad to adopt an adult Dobe when you have children. All reputable rescues will have their dogs temperment tested prior to adoption. They will help you pick a dog that is most suitable for you, your family and life style. Puppies are a lot of work, (trust me, I'm going through puppy stage now LOL) and an adult dog from a rescue that is good with kids, out of the crazy puppy stage and is stable would be ideal for someone looking for a pet.

Yes, Dobes and Pits are VERY different. I got my Dobe, Chihiro, with my old Pit, Storm in mind. Chi certainly presents challenges that Storm never did! But on the flip side has been much easier to train certain things to.

I'm not an ear expert but I think a thicker ear leather is what you should look for. Thin ear leather will not stand as easily as thicker, I could be wrong here and I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in soon. The aftercare for a Dobes ears is much different than that of a Pit. I know we never had to post or tape Storm's ears. But a Dobe's ears need care for several months after they've been cropped to help them stand properly. (one of the reasons why I chose not to crop my pup)

Kudos to you for deciding to do some research before bringing home a new pup. We are all here to help, offer advice and relate our own stories, just ask away :)

If I can stress nothing else it would be to go through a reputable breeder if you choose not to rescue. The DPCA (dpca.org) has a breeder referral and make sure you read this http://members.execulink.com/~korevaar/buyingguide.htm
before you even think about going to look at a litter :) The pups you see in pet shops or out of an add in the paper are cute but in the long run you will find that a pup from a reputable breeder is much better off than one who is not. A reputable breeder can guarantee health (this breed is plagued with many genetic problems) and temperment, a reputable breeder will have the pups ears cropped and help you with the after-care, and a reputable breeder will help you throughout the life of your pup: these are all very important things to consider. AND certainly things I wish I had considered before I purchased my pup from a not so great breeder...

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
When we decided to get Duchess we knew someone who shows Am Staff Terriers, him and his wife told us about a great well known breeder of Dobermans (she owns the stud) that actully just had a litter! Lucky us! and right around where we live. So we contacted the breeder and talked to her back and forth about price and other things such as...putting up a fence...even though we have a good size kennel run that is connected to the house with a roof over it and a doggie door so she can go potty. We set up a time that we could visit the puppies. We got to then meet the other breeders who owned the mom. We got to meet and socialize with all the girl puppies since they knew we wanted a girl. They all had different color ribbon collars. We didn't get to pick out one yet. We just wanted Duchess as a pet...not for show. So we didn't get to take one home until they determined which ones would be more show quality than others...We took pictures...and talked...about the ancestors...training, gave them a deposit...etc. When we went back when she was 8 weeks he already had her ears cropped and the cup on her head. The breeder flew someone in to do the ears and it was included in the cost. WHen it was time that we could come and pick out a puppy...we picked the Pink puppy right away which was duchess. :) We then took Duchess home. A week later she got to take the cup off...That is when everyone came to the breeders house with their pup...and picked out an AKC name...filled out that paperwork...and meanwhile the breeder took Duchess stitches out...and put on the Posts instead. Since she was the Pink puppy...she got Pink gauze wrapping stuff lol. The breeder has a training facility...and so every week on the same day we would take her posts off in the morning...and then go to puppy class. After puppy class...our breeder would repost all of the puppys that came to get their posts done. AFTER 3 MONTHS OF POSTING, DUCHESS'S EARS STOOD!! We were sooooo lucky!!! Each one was so different on when their ears stood. Duchess's littermates that were there were show crops...and so they took longer...and actually didnt stand until around 10 or maybe a couple more months! SO it does take time. Dobermans love to train...till this day we take her to obedience or agility once a week (she is a year and 8 months almost) Any questions we had at all the breeder answered...and problems with the posts she fixed as soon as possible, even if they came to her house.

Just thought a little story...might help...lol I might have gotten alittle carried away with story time. haha...but to make that long story short...a good breeder should be a part of the process the whole time through posting as much as they can...I don't know if you are far away from the breeder it is probably different...we might have been lucky to have a breeder, trainer, and ear poster all in one. hehe. :)

We got duchess through a breeder b.c we wanted to raise her through puppyhood...and the whole genetic diseases...and temperment. She's great!
I would love to rescue a dobe...or maybe you should look into fostering. We have a local Doberman Rescue...I don't know just a thought...
You'll find that dobes are silly, intelligent, nosey (mine smells around for anything), Stubborn at times (when she has something she knows that she shouldnt have she will not let go for the life of me!! haha), Loyal, Gentle, Graceful, huggable big lap dogs!!!! (thats where I got my name)

·
Extraordimary
4,923 Posts
TracyJo said:
I'm not an ear expert but I think a thicker ear leather is what you should look for. Thin ear leather will not stand as easily as thicker, I could be wrong here.
Yes, I'm afraid that you are wrong.

While the biggest key to getting ears to stand is always going to be the skill of the cropper and the skill and diligence of the person posting the ears, thin leather is much easier to get to stand than thick ears.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I'm pretty sure Paper Thin Ears dont have a high Success rate of Standing properly. I posted a Thread on this not that long ago and every Response said Thin Ears were more trouble. Besides that it just makes sense that they would be Harder to work worth thats what I think atleast.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
MaryAndDobes said:
Yes, I'm afraid that you are wrong.

While the biggest key to getting ears to stand is always going to be the skill of the cropper and the skill and diligence of the person posting the ears, thin leather is much easier to get to stand than thick ears.
Well, there ya go... You learn something new everyday :) Thanks Mary...
I would imagine that a thicker ear leather would offer more stability... but on the flip side, they are heavier... Is that why thinner ears stand easier?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts