Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything I read says make sure you contact a reputable breeder for a Doberman to ensure you get one without aggression. Apparently bad breeding can cause an aggression issue from what I understand. How do I find a reputable breeder, preferably in PA near Pittsburgh or even West Virginia. I want a Doberman that can be good around cats. What are good questions to ask about that or about the breeder at all? I have been raised with dog my whole life, and the one dog I have always wanted was a Doberman. However, when I moved away from my parents, I never lived where I could have a dog, so I got 2 cats instead. Now I have a place where I can have a dog and I still want a Doberman. I have researched the dog and understand I need to train and socialize it extensively, and that the dogs are very hyper and known as velcro dogs. I have seen lots of accounts where Dobermans can live with cats and be friendly, and my best bet it to raise the dog with my cats as a pup. My one cat seems fine with a strange dog unless it chases him, then he hides. The other cat’s only introduction with a dog was one of my old ones soon before she passed. The dog was partially blind and very aggressive with other animals, always was since she showed up under our car one day, my cat sat above her and would paw at her head, trying to torment her, but would for the most part stay away and hiss at the dogs. Once they get used to an animal they seem to be okay with them, so my question is what can I do to try and make sure the Doberman is ok with cats?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma!

My red girl was a rescue we got at 18 months, so I'm not going to advise you on breeders or puppy training, other than to say both are important. I will say that even adult dobes can learn to get along with cats - if you can train them well with positive methods and if they have a good temperament. A reputable rescue screens for compatability with small dogs and cats and could help you find a dog, if you go that way.

Until someone with more knowledge of the current breeders and upcoming shows chimes in, here's what you need to know:

You can search the site using either the search bar at the top of the page or just going to google and searching "dobermantalk Pennsylvania breeders" or whatever info you are looking for. Some of the threads have out of date info (like who just had a litter, or whatever) but they will talk abut good places to look and what to avoid. If you see a breeder website online and want to know more, search for that kennel name. There might be a difference of opinion, but at least you can read the discussion.

Dobes are needy and hard work, but they can be worth it.

·
Big Lil pup
6,232 Posts
Dogs and cats.

This is just my experience. Over the last several decades, our boys have pretty much been raised alike. Yet they are all different w/ respect to cats. I have had dogs that would attack a cat on sight, if not restrained (either physically or verbally.) Our boy Butcher (RIP) was the gentlest dog I have ever known around other animals.He was 95 lb. of love. Neighbors cats would come over to our back deck and lie in the sun next to him. Our current oldest does not tolerate cats. He won't chase them, but his demeanor says "Back off!" Our 1 yo. has never had any interaction with cats per se. A few weeks ago, I was walking him, chatting with a woman on the street. Her cat walked up and licked Sheriff on the face! He just kind of stood there... Kind of like...whatever.

All of my dogs have had different innate attitudes towards other animals.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My male was fine with my cat. He was 95 lbs. and very sweet and gentle. They would sunbathe in the sunroom together every day. Just for reference, I had my Dobie prior to the cat. Their relationship shocked me but the cat showed no fear in front of the dog and I think that helped. I think most cats are skittish around dogs which almost "eggs" the dog on.

In my opinion, and as 4x4bike mentioned above, every dog, regardless of breed, reacts differently to cats and you really aren't going to know if it's going to work out unless you try it (given you are starting with a puppy). And you MUST be careful. My Dobie used his paws a lot to show expression and play…one stomp of a doberman's paw could crush a cat.

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
Do watch who you buy from as there are a huge amount of people breeding dobermans just to make money. You want to buy from someone who cares about the breed, the health, conformation and temperament and genetic background of the parents, not someone who throws two dogs together just to make puppies. They may say they know all that stuff, but it is all smoke and mirrors when you start to ask them the hard questions...it is just they don't know what they don't know.

Try doing some reading here to educate yourself BEFORE you start finding breeders. You need to know the correct questions to ask and you need to know what the answers should be when you ask them

A good start, but not a guarantee of excellent breeders.

DPCA | The Doberman | Breeder Referral

Breeders Good and Bad: There is enough here to keep you busy for a good while if you haven't already found this site. It is a lot more education than what the site titles below say.

http://www.dpca.org/BreedEd/articles/45-breedinggenetics/126-breeders-good-and-bad

Genetic diseases to educate yourself and ask breeders about concerning the puppies parents.

http://www.dpca.org/breed/breed_health.htm

Contracts:
:
https://dpca.org/PublicEd/the-doberman/reproduction/breeders-contracts/

Please remember rescue organizations. Rescue dogs can be the best and they really appreciate finding a new home. They seem to know you have given them a second chance and love you for it.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
i would contact the nearest chapter of the DPCA for referrals: http://www.dpca.org/club/DPCA_chapterclubs.htm

there are clubs in Ohio and Pennsylvania. i understand the pickings are very, very slim in West Virginia - i have spoken with someone who claims to be a reputable, ethical breeder in WV but i cannot vouch for her breeding practices. western Maryland has no one that I know of, and western PA has few people i'd consider. contact the breed clubs and ask who's breeding, who's reliable, and go from there.

there is also a rescue that i BELIEVE is based out of the Pittsburgh area: http://www.ddrinc.net/

expect to be on a waiting list for reputable breeders and rescues.

Reactions: greenkouki

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Every dog is an individual. I don't think we did anything special to get boy to respect our cat. We really emphasized the leave it command though. But it really boils down to their temperament and prey drive. He just doesn't go after things. He hangs out with our flock of free range chickens and doesn't bother them. No chasing or attacking. He will annoy the cat from time to time (never roughly, he doberstalks her or sniffs her) but he leaves her alone when asked.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Shadeko is in PA. Pat is a member here as well. Health tests, and breeds nice dogs with great temperaments. Shadeko Dobermans

1 - 9 of 9 Posts