Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here, so please go easy on me.

We have been looking for a black male puppy for a while now.
We live in San Diego CA, but are willing to travel up to 10 hrs drive.

It's important for us to get the puppy from a reputable breeder. We are not planning to show him, but we are very active and we include our dogs in a lot of activities.

Here are some stumbling blocks that we had breeders refuse to sell puppies to us:
- We have 3 kids (11,13,16). They have been around our dog and the neighbor's Dobermans most of their lives.
- We have a 8-yr old male Lab. He gets along with absolutely every dog, including our neighbor's intact Dobermans.
- We don't want to crop the ears. I have been literally yelled at for this.

I am not ready to give up yet. Please help.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hi igord. I have 13 and 16 year old kids, a 10 year old male black Labrador and a female dobe and it's all good here. Sounds like the problem is that you want a male and I've read consistently here that you shouldn't keep two males. Not something I have experience with but definitely sounds like something you should avoid.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I also wanted a non cropped puppy, so wound up going the rescue route since finding a reputable breeder near me that would leave a puppy natural was not possible.

I think your biggest issue however is the other male dog in the house. Same sex aggression is SO common in this breed that most breeders will absolutely not place a male puppy in a household with another male dog. Rescues will also be resistant to placing a male puppy in a home with another male dog.

Rescue groups might have older dogs that are mature and known dog safe, but I really don't see you getting a puppy very easily :(

Supporting the kind of breeder who WOULD be willing to overlook the SSA possibility would mean they likely also followed none of the recommended health testing. So once again, I think looking at a reputable rescue is your best bet to add a Doberman to your family.

·
Got mutt?
13,643 Posts
Welcome to DT.

I'm not sure if anyone (other than DT forum members) has mentioned same sex aggression to you? It is very common in Dobermans, especially males, and not something that training and/or neutering can "fix", so you would be hard pressed to find a reputable breeder willing to sell you a male pup. A male/female pairing is best for a typical family. I know you say your Lab gets along with everyone, including the neighbor's Dobes, but (and it's a big but) that's no guarantee that a male puppy you buy won't grow up to be intolerant of your Lab.

Ears... personally, I love natural ears (heck, my preference is a "factory orginal", aka, completely natural dog), but it's difficult to find a good American show line breeder who is willing to leave a dog uncropped. Jesseran is one, and I know there are a few others that have been mentioned, but most (99.99%) breeders are going to crop. A working line breeder might be more willing to leave a dog uncropped, but some working line dogs are "too much dog" for the average owner.

Probably the best places to start looking are on the DPCA breeders list DPCA | The Doberman | Breeder Referral and the UDC breeders list UDC Breeder Directory

You might have a better chance of finding a nice, uncropped bitch if you are open to adopting a rescue. Yes, health is a gamble with a rescue, but it's also something of a gamble with a well-bred dog, as well. A breeder can do every available test on their breeding dogs, and still have an issue come up in a puppy.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
I know my breeder left a puppy uncropped. I'm not sure of the circumstances and she won't be breeding until next year but you can reach out to Von Luka. Is there a particular reason why you want uncropped? Is it something you might be willing to budge on to get a healthier Doberman?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We can definetly go with a black female.
Natural ears are a must though. We love everything about the breed except the look of the cropped ears.

Are there any reputable breeders who are willing to be flexible on cropping?

·
Registered
9,574 Posts
We can definetly go with a black female.
Natural ears are a must though. We love everything about the breed except the look of the cropped ears.

Are there any reputable breeders who are willing to be flexible on cropping?
I can't think of any reputable breeders that I'd want to send you to in California who would be willing to leave a puppy uncropped for you. But you might call Marj Brooks (she's in NorCal--Manorie Dobermans, she's in Santa Rosa, e-mail [email protected] phone 707 539-2050

She's been breeding for a long time and may know of a breeder within that 10 hour drive you specify who would leave a puppy uncropped.

Jesaran (who someone already suggested) is Kathy Davieds, DVM but she's in Virginia--that's clear across the country but she will leave a puppy uncropped and in fact is the breeder of the only two uncropped AKC Champion bitches (there are 3 uncropped males--the standard asks for a cropped dog so you just don't see many uncropped dogs or bitches in the show ring ). Her phone number is 540 929-4999 and e-mail is [email protected]. It's possible she might be able to suggest a breeder on the west coast who she knows to be reputable and who might consider leaving a puppy uncropped.

You are much more likely to find a breeder who would sell a bitch to you. As others have said the fact that Dobes are known to often be same sex aggressive (more common in males than bitches) a good many breeders simply won't sell a male to someone who has another male in the house.

Even though your lab gets along with the intact male Dobe next door it doesn't mean another male will also get along with the your lab. AND--this is really important to remember--there are a number of male Dobes who will get along with and play with other males--intact or neutered when they are only visitors. If it is a dog who live in the same house many of those same dogs are NOT tolerant of another male that they are living with 24/7. You also didn't say how old that intact male is--often immature males will get along with males but sometimes by the time they are mature--2-3 years old that no longer works.

Good luck in your quest.

·
Got mutt?
13,643 Posts
Jesaran (I spelled it wrong earlier) is one that has been recommended. Their contact info is on the DPCA link I gave earlier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts