Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help!

My 5 month old looks so bored when I stack her its scary. She is so animated and lovely in her "self stack" when she is on alert at the park.. at home she hunches slightly (no matter how I place her), her tail is just kinda limp and her expression oh she looks so bored!

I have tried all different types of food and squeakies but she just never looks happy. I try and make show training as fun as possible but she just doesnt seem into it... what am I doing wrong? any tips? please help!

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
You could be trying to train for too long at a time, putting too much pressure on her.

Some dogs just resent being hand stacked. Thunder's mother, my bitch Murrey, told us when she was about 14 weeks old that she knew far more about being a show dog than we ever would..she was right! :)

If you tried to hand stack her, not only would she roach her back up, she'd move her paws from where you placed them EVERY TIME. Left to her own devices, she'd stack herself perfectly. So she was shown from her first show at six months to her last as a veteran bitch free baited all the way.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Make it a game. Train in smaller pieces. Move one foot reward PLAY. PLAY PLAY. Repeat. Repeat repeat. If you know how to shape with a clicker, shape the free stack, etc. Pair high value treats and FUN with show training.

I play "find it" with my dogs. Toss treat find it ok. So I set one foot, CLICK TREAT then say find it, toss treat and I have them running back in forth across me. Then we stack one foot again. Play find it.

Reactions: Amelia_

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
What types of food are you using? My boy will completely ignore me for low value treats, no matter how fun I make it. He will work for liver, but nothing gets his attention like cheese does.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! I literally dont even do it in blocks, maybe whenever I feel like giving her a "treat" I use liver and cheese oh my she goes nuts for cheese! she is also a big clamper, she lets me stroke her tail sitting down but as soon as I hand stack her its clamped, its like she hates the process (cause she allows family and strangers to go over her no problems). I jump around (per Michelles DPCA articles) and generally do try and make it fun she just does not like it. Murrey do you think I should just focus on getting her to free stack instead?

She has an app with the chiro just to rule out any issues of discomfort. I will try " find it " thanks ADARA. She is only 5 months 10 days old, do you think she could change as she grows or...? I kind of need her ready before our Specialty on 2 June, although in Minor Puppy the dogs are allowed to be less than perfect.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
My two cents - puppies get to have fun when I show them no matter what. I don't care if we don't win because of it. I refuse to rush them. So I would stop focusing on 'being ready' for the show - maybe it tenses you up a bit? Not sure about your personality but I would put too much stress on myself that way. I don't care if we make idiots out of ourselves in any puppy class as long as we have fun. Now my goal is to have a happy trained puppy but that doesn't always work out that way :) I'd rather them be a handful than shut down.

·
formerly eventermal
3,498 Posts
My boy was a tail clamper when he was a baby. I worked very hard to get him to give his tail, especially becase its about one joint shorter than it should be. Have you tried working with her while she eats? Just sit there and tickle her tail as she goes to town on her food. I think that made the biggest difference with my boy, because I wasnt worried about where his feet or head were, and it was just me petting him.

He still has moments when he doesn't want to give me his tail, but overall, he is very good about it.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I refuse to rush them. So I would stop focusing on 'being ready' for the show - maybe it tenses you up a bit? .
I totally agree with this! I think this is the kind of thing that feeds on itself, too.

I don't handle, but my best advice at this point in time would be to give this puppy some time off from show training. Keep socializing as always, but other than that, leave her be, don't be trying to stack her. Let her be a puppy for a couple of months, then see where you're at. They have the rest of their lives to be show dogs.

·
Premium Member
10,274 Posts
I do a lot of "kitchen training". The dogs tend to be underfoot in the kitchen if I'm doing anything in there and it gives me an opportunity to to do some 10 second stacks. Or get ears up. Or tickle a tail up.

Ten second stacks are just that--no collar, no leash--bait ends up being whatever I happen to be doing in the kitchen--so it might be a piece of mushroom or a tiny piece of cheese. And I don't even try to make the stack perfect--I show the puppy the thing in my hand and move a foot or maybe two and give what ever I've got to the puppy and turn them loose. Sometimes they eat it, sometimes they don't but they don't have enough time to be bored.

Ears are with something I think the puppy will really like--I show it to them and invite them to move foreward into something that at least resembles a stack. And give them the treat when their ears are up.

I play with tails all the time--so the puppy is totally used to having his tail played with--occasionally if he's really interested in what I'm doing I drop a piece of something on the floor and run my hand down his back while he's engaged in trying to get whatever I dropped in his mouth--and tickle his tail up--although often his tail is already up at that point.

And I don't make any kind of a big deal about it.

As an ongoing training method eventually you can put this together into a stack with ears up and tail up and I generally just drop a piece of something on the counter so the puppy is looking up for it--that way they are still interested and no hanging in their collar.

I might do this stuff many times a day but I never do it for very long at a stretch.

Puppies burn out fast with making them be absolutely still for two or three minutes while you try to manipulate thier legs, ears and tail. Keep it very short and reward heavily for even seconds of a puppy standing still in something that is more or less a stack.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
thanks for the responses, I might just leave her be. She may be more attentive (stand better) in the ring with other dogs around her. I do tickle her tail and say tail up whilst shes eating or sitting on the couch with me (mixed responses but I dont push it). I havent attempted to use her show collar and lead this is happening just when making her stand in the kitchen/around the house. I never allow myself to get frustrated or tense or at least I dont think I do.

my other girl was the opposite, wouldnt keep four feet on the floor in the kitchen but when Barbara Alexanders daughter got a hold of her she performed so well.. maybe its just me!

I only fret about having her ready because all the interstate breeders will be in showing their "perfectly trained" dogs, I really have no chance unless she is a little prepared and I dont want to seem like a fool to anyone I may get a dog from in the future. Last year my eldest girls breeder Barb took her in, she is usually ok (wasnt trained the best as I had no idea what I was doing) well nope not this time, it was bloody embarrassing and when Barb gave her back to me she said "Did I really breed this feral"? I do not want to be unprepared again and I've already entered so I'd love to be able to go and show what a nice dog Jezebel is, but I want to be semi - ready. Even if she is naughty on the day, going in with some confidence would be nice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts