Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday evening I played with Loki on our bed, using a dry bone, in a new way. Just sort of playing "paw on the bone" while he laid there. He liked the attention and human/ dog play, which I realize now doesn't happen very much. Our interactions are more affectionate, one to one hugging and talking than playful.

Less than 1/2 hour later, my hub and Bella were quite concerned, Bee was barking in a strange way and lo and behold:

Loki had stripped the newly made bed of the down duvet, bottom sheet, mattress pad, feather bed under pad and a sheet under that too! He had successfully and quickly scraped all that stuff on the mattress itself up to the head of the bed.

We went hiking in the wet weeds today and Loki got dyed green. Old photo.

Share a story
Dog Collar Working animal Liver Dog breed

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
update just crazy... my fault

We have 7 houseguests for 3 nights + more family coming this last Saturday. So I had met a Rover host for Bella and Loki to go to Sat. and was quite frazzled. Got them in the car with the back windows proper height.... got to gate called hub to make sure he opened it for guests.... punched it to get past GSDs at their gate which of course gets my passengers excited..... both of whom lowered the windows and leaped out at 25mph.... due to my distraction not using child proof button back seat windows!!!!:(

Thankfully they are both ok. I picked them up right away. Some road rash on Loki and Bella's leg granuloma opened a bit and she was in pain. The Rover host was very understanding and facilitated a refund We boarded up the bedroom entry area (no door) so they could rest in there.... they have been amazingly good and flexible with everyone and the stars of the show, and could have come out except there was a little doggie guest for a while.

I feel so guilty and had ptsd for quite a while right in the middle of our family reunion/memorial.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
29,840 Posts
At least it was entirely an accident...probably. Though I wouldn't put it past them to have figured out how to open the windows and just to be biding their time for a good escape opportunity.

One time my now ex lowered the back car windows with Capri in the back as he pulled into the driveway. There were deer in the front yard so he stopped the car to point out them out to Capri---Look Capri, DEER!! (I mean, like who would do that?) She promptly jumped out of the car window and took off after them.

I'm glad yours are OK. It's things like this which lead to gray hair.

·
Registered
43 Posts
That's scary, so glad they are both ok. Heading out now to check my windows, who would think it, I haven't.
We just got back from training where Nello spends a bunch of time in the car, he could have rolled the windows down and hopped out any time!
Thanks for sharing this, your story is kind of a PSA!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It could be real bad if they rolled the window up! 2x my not ex hub rolled it up by mistake on poor Loki, I almost killed him (the man) on the spot....

You'd be surprised how they are keyed into where the window height is and they do claw the armrest back there if it is something exciting outside. Loki the 2 headed dog photo; usually the window is not down that far.

I'm curious who uses dog harness/ seat belts contraptions regularly? We do not use crates. We have a comfortable for them back (4 door Acura, old) sedan seat, doggie quilted hammock type thingy, so they can't get in the front seat.

Bella just got a lot of nice compliments (teeth, coat, weight, energy) and pretty clean bill of health from the vet. I'm afraid this event might speed her into senior doghood.... It's been cool here and she sure definately still loves running with Loki!

Dog Vehicle Hood Carnivore Automotive lighting

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Neo Puppy, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 7 y/o, RIP Eva HADR Rescue Dobe, Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
6,365 Posts
...I'm curious who uses dog harness/ seat belts contraptions regularly? We do not use crates. We have a comfortable for them back (4 door Acura, old) sedan seat, doggie quilted hammock type thingy, so they can't get in the front seat.....
PB- For short trips (to vet & training classes) I tether Neo with harness into back seat of Escape adjusting so he can just stand up and stick nose partially out either window, but not jump out. For long trips to another city on interstates I put SUV crates in back with seats folded down.

Dog Car Vehicle Carnivore Dog breed

·
Registered
7,515 Posts
We used a seatbelt religiously for local trips, and a crate for longer trips or in situations where she'd have to be crated in the car.

My next vehicle is being purchased with future dogs in mind, and will have crate(s) set up permanently.

·
Registered
Scout, Birthday May 30, 2021
71 Posts
Years ago when I had Sasha and Niro, they loved to ride in the car. When we got a convertible we were afraid they would jump out so we got them dog seatbelts. They would ride in the back seat sitting up like people. I still use those seatbelts, Tony, Pilot, Loki used the large one that I had for Niro and now Scout uses the small one I got for Sasha. Who would think I would still be using those almost 40 years later. By the way Loki knew how to open the window and Niro knew how to open the doors. I'm so glad your friends are OK.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts