Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
sandy2233
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just spent the last 10 days stressing over the fact that this beautiful 2 1/2 year old companion of mine is another victim to CAH. Emily lost 10 lbs after her shows at Greeley, Co. She has been going thru dog food like most people change underware. In Sept. 2010, I ran a panel on her and ALT was elevated but vet didn't feel that it was a problem at that time. I had been conversing with him that she was picky about her food and that she just didn't quite seem to be her wild crazy self. It was in the summer (hot) and we just chalked it up to that. We ran this last panel 10 days ago and I cried til I couldn't cry anymore. I work at this clinic grooming and through DT, knew that this is a fatal disease. We shared how bad this is and since it was his first case, he was going to make phone calls and do more research. He started her on pred and prilosec for her stomach ulcerations. Over the surgery table, he was trying to be kind and he knew that I knew things were not good.

Fast forward to today. New blood work shows elevated levels down quite a bit, enough to do a happy dance. He feels the meds and the SD Liver Diet is helping and we will redo panel in another 10 days. In his opinion, becase she is not jaundiced at all, and we caught this so early, that she might have a fighting chance to manage this disease

Thanks for reading this long rant. I haven't even had the energy to read all the threads because I've been so bummed about this dx.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Oooh Sandy, I am so very sorry to hear this dx. However, Murreydobe has a cah girl that is doing fairly well the last I read. With care, your girl could live for quite a few more years. I would put her on another food. Get with Murrey about Emily. I think she feeds Honest Kitchen. Good luck and (((hugs))) to you and Emily.

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
You have a support team here. Hopefully catching it early and quick stabilisation will have really positive results. (I really believe it's the secret to maintaining many years of relative health with this disease). Good luck, we're cheering you on!

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Oooh Sandy, I am so very sorry to hear this dx. However, Murreydobe has a cah girl that is doing fairly well the last I read. With care, your girl could live for quite a few more years. I would put her on another food. Get with Murrey about Emily. I think she feeds Honest Kitchen. Good luck and (((hugs))) to you and Emily.
My bitch, Razzle was 3 when she was diagnosed with CAH in Sept. 2008. She'll be 7 in May. At the time of diagnosis, tho, she didn't show one single symptom-no weight loss, no vomiting, no excessive drinking and peeing, etc.
Under ultrasound her liver appeared perfectly normal-no mottling or ragged edges, etc. The only way we caught there was a problem was through routine bloodwork.

Almost 3 1/2 years post dx, she still hasn't displayed one single symptom. Liver still appears normal under ultrasound, etc. The only problems she's ever had weren't due to the liver itself, rather the result of long term use of pred and those were managed with a decrease in dosage.

So caught early enough, you *can* extend lifespanfor a significant amount of time with early diagnosis and treatment.

It probably would be helpful if you gave your girl either Sam-E and Marin or Denamarin (combination of Sam-E and Marin). These supplements are really good for liver support.

Razzle is fed Keen, which is a dehydrated diet made by a company called Honest Kitchen. It's midrange-low protein (but not really low), it's very low copper and also low sodium, which is important if you're giving a dog pred. Grains are a good thing for liver dogs, and this diet has oatmeal, which is excellent. The downside to using this food is the price.

Do you know Emily's vWD status? Clotting ability is affected by liver function, so a dog being vWD affected and having liver disease isn't a good combination. This is especially true when it comes to doing liver biopsies, which are risky at the best of times. However you can't know if the dog is storing copper without a biopsy. One of the common drugs used to treat copper storage is prohibitively expensive, I sure wouldn't give it unless the dog had been biopsied and found to need it.

Good luck with your girlie!

·
sandy2233
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My bitch, Razzle was 3 when she was diagnosed with CAH in Sept. 2008. She'll be 7 in May. At the time of diagnosis, tho, she didn't show one single symptom-no weight loss, no vomiting, no excessive drinking and peeing, etc.
Under ultrasound her liver appeared perfectly normal-no mottling or ragged edges, etc. The only way we caught there was a problem was through routine bloodwork.

Almost 3 1/2 years post dx, she still hasn't displayed one single symptom. Liver still appears normal under ultrasound, etc. The only problems she's ever had weren't due to the liver itself, rather the result of long term use of pred and those were managed with a decrease in dosage.

So caught early enough, you *can* extend lifespanfor a significant amount of time with early diagnosis and treatment.

It probably would be helpful if you gave your girl either Sam-E and Marin or Denamarin (combination of Sam-E and Marin). These supplements are really good for liver support.

Razzle is fed Keen, which is a dehydrated diet made by a company called Honest Kitchen. It's midrange-low protein (but not really low), it's very low copper and also low sodium, which is important if you're giving a dog pred. Grains are a good thing for liver dogs, and this diet has oatmeal, which is excellent. The downside to using this food is the price.

Do you know Emily's vWD status? Clotting ability is affected by liver function, so a dog being vWD affected and having liver disease isn't a good combination. This is especially true when it comes to doing liver biopsies, which are risky at the best of times. However you can't know if the dog is storing copper without a biopsy. One of the common drugs used to treat copper storage is prohibitively expensive, I sure wouldn't give it unless the dog had been biopsied and found to need it.

Good luck with your girlie!

I do know M's Vwd status. She is a carrier. I was told unless I was going to breed her (which I knew I wasn't) I had to make sure the male was not a carrier also. (She was sold with limited registration) She came thru her spay and ripping open her side on a corner of a lawn mower trailer with no problems. I will look into the Harvest Kitchen. I have done some research on it but at the time I did Emily was doing well on Natures Variety. But we have since gone thru lots of dog food. Wellness, Natural Balance, Fromm, Natures Variety. The vet and I have talked and depending on the next couple panels, the biopsy is an option at this time. I was not aware of the ultra sound and he is very good with that piece of equipment so I will discuss it with him. I appreciate your comments very much.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Oh my! I am so sorry. I hope the fact that his trouble have been diagnosed early will help him and you. I will pray for both of you.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Ah crap, babygirl.

I'm so sorry. All crossables crossed the next panels come back better and better.

Vibes to you guys.

Reactions: sandy2233
7 Posts
As a precaution would it be a good idea to use honest kitchen
For a dode that may or may not have this CAH as I am waiting for a breeder to have pups and want the very best for the dog and to prevent future problems
Will be greatfull for any advice
Please ignore my name as its for those bad breaders out there

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
As a precaution would it be a good idea to use honest kitchen
For a dode that may or may not have this CAH as I am waiting for a breeder to have pups and want the very best for the dog and to prevent future problems
Will be greatfull for any advice
Please ignore my name as its for those bad breaders out there
Honest Kitchen is quality food, they make several different formulas. I'd feed it to all of my dogs, not just the "sick" one if it wasn't so danged expensive. But it costs more each month to feed HK to one dog than it does to feed two other dogs kibble.

CAH is a hereditary disease, diet isn't going to protect any dog with the "right" genes from developing the disease. All diet can do is possibly minimize the symptoms.

·
Good Gracious, Gracie!
1,943 Posts
I am so sorry you have this diagnosis. Every best wish and hope that Emily is able to go happily down the road for a long, long time yet with good treatment.

·
Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo),TKI,TKN, CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron 1
18,346 Posts
I am so sorry to read this. Emily is in my thoughts and prayers. Just put Baron on Denamarin because his ALK. Phosphatase number has been high the last 2 blood screenings. My vet gave me the tablets and I just ordered the chewable kind because they have to be given on an empty stomach and I hate throwing pills down his throat. Listen to Murreydobe. She is the best and a wealth of information on this subject.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts