Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was looking at a post showing growth of puppies in general. and i'm kinda concerned my dobe is so big i might need to watch for issues. he is 5 months old (as of about 5 days ago) and weighs 65.8 lbs. He's very lean...photo below, so it's not a fat thing. He also hasn't started getting proportional yet (GIANT feet still) and is uber clumsy. Does anyone have a baby that was/is this big and is there anything i should watch out for. Even the vet keeps thinking he's 8 months or older...

maybe i should just look into a stable :roflmao:

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
what kind of food and how much does he get a day.?
Is he doing excessive exercise per day?
My first dobe got tall fast and then fillled out. Clumsy as old heck.

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Hahaha give him a few months and he'll need a stall!
(kidding)

I also wonder about the food. Also, do you know the size and weight of his sire and dam?

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Flirt, female, was about 62 lbs at six months. She is unfortunatey a big girl, the height of a male at 27.25". I'd keep an eye out for pano, but then again not sure if there is anything proven you can give to deter it. Feeding good quality good can't hurt.

At her first show at six months. So was the correct size girl in front of her :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
he's eating purina one large breed puppy, 3 cups or less 2x a day. he gets the food for 20 mins in an puzzle jug and then i pick it up if anything is left. the vet even says he's perfect build he's just HUGE. you can even see the outline of his ribs. he's taller than the 2 year old that goes to his daycare. i did meet both his sire and dam. the female is 75 lbs and the male 90 both lean. i don't know how tall they are measurement wise but they are able to lay their head on my stomach at 5'5" on all fours by just leaning, so they are kinda tall. i have a photo of them. (just fyi before someone gets starts another lecture i already fixed my male to prevent the propagation of albino dobermans, he will be contributing to the breed with therapy work)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Flirt, female, was about 62 lbs at six months. She is unfortunatey a big girl, the height of a male at 27.25". I'd keep an eye out for pano, but then again not sure if there is anything proven you can give to deter it. Feeding good quality good can't hurt.

At her first show at six months. So was the correct size girl in front of her :)
the vet did warn me about this, and i have been making sure to keep him active and lean and i've been giving him a puppy multivitamin to support joint health.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You do not need to feed Large Breed Formula to your pup, Dobies are a medium breed.

Bright boy being able to help with the dusting at 5 months old, mine didn't do that till a year and a half.
i was advised to go large breed puppy through 6 months (since he would be over 50 lbs as an adult) and then to switch him to an adult food. apparently the large breed is higher in protien and lower in fat too...at least that's what the bags say.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
i was advised to go large breed puppy through 6 months (since he would be over 50 lbs as an adult) and then to switch him to an adult food. apparently the large breed is higher in protien and lower in fat too...at least that's what the bags say.
This is advice I have not heard (though that doesn't mean it's not good advice, someone else can chime in on that). It is, however, good to grow dobes slowly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is advice I have not heard (though that doesn't mean it's not good advice, someone else can chime in on that). It is, however, good to grow dobes slowly.
who knows? my vet could just as easily be talking out his hind parts. the growing part i kinda thought...he averages 5-10lbs most weeks and i don't want him to grow too fast...don't really know how to stop him. he's about the size of a young adult female in height and weight. i love him for his personality not his size or otherwise so it doesn't really matter if i have a standard/big/small etc i just want to do my best to make sure he's healthy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts