Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tara was one of the sponsor dobes at Dobe Rescue, she had issues that made her very difficult to rehome, but I became very close to her, I used to walk her down the lane and just sit with her in the grass, rubbing her ears and tickling her tummy. Her health started to deteriorate late last year and me and Gerry talked about maybe bringing her home, it would be difficult as she wasn't great with other dogs although Abbie had struck up some kind of a friendship with her.We had started to talk it over with the kennel maid, to see if they thought it could work. She picked up slightly before Christmas and we decided to hold off until after Christmas, when things would be less hectic. We visited a few days before Christmas to give her her present which she loved, and we sat and cuddled her. I told her to behave and that I would see her in a week and that I loved her.On Christmas Eve Tara died. :cry: We got the call on Boxing Day, when we were at my mums. She fell asleep in her bed with her kennel mate Forrest by her side.
I have been putting off writing this thread, seeing it written down makes it real. I miss her so much, I know she didn't live with us, she wasn't even my dog but she was so so special to me. I feel so bad that she never came home, I don't think I can ever forgive myself for that. I hope she is at peace now and I hope she knows how loved she was. I wrote her a poem I hope you don't mind me sharing it.

They said that you were nasty
I knew that wasn't true
They didn't look quite deep enough
To see the real you

They never saw the Tara
Who would cuddle up so tight
The Tara who would lick your face
Whose eyes shone with delight

They never got to know you
As a dog so brave and strong
They saw you as a bad one
How could they be so wrong?

I can only say I'm sorry
That you never did come home
But wait for us at Rainbow Bridge
You'll have a family to call your own

When the time comes we will look for you
And shower you with love
In the meanwhile send us rainbows
So we know you're safe above.

Sleep tight baby.

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
:cry: Very nice poem, it sounds like she went peacefully in her sleep. At least you gave her the love she deserved. She was a very pretty girl.

Reactions: 2dobesuk

·
Premium Member
4,267 Posts
I hope you know that Tara is up at the Bridge talking to all the other furries about these wonderful people who gave her love and how she can't wait to run to meet you when you come back to her. What a lovely memorial to her. She knew she was special to you.

·
Premium Member
9,163 Posts
So sorry to hear that she did not make it long enough to come home with you. The times you spent with her were special, and at least she had a bed and food - which is more than so many have.

It is easy to get attached to rescues and foster Dobes. I fostered a special needs puppy over 4 years ago and she died at age 3 of an incurable disease - her adoptive family loved her so much and tried so hard to keep her with them for a little bit longer. It was heartbreaking and as her foster mom, I felt like a breeder must when a puppy they bred dies young. I still get tears in my eyes when I think about her.

My condolences.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I am sorry that she didn't make it for you. She knew that you cared for her and will be waiting for you and the bridge.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
So very sorry for your lose. Tara knew you loved her and I am sure she enjoyed every single minute you spent with her. Don't be hard on yourself. She will be waiting for the ones who loved her.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.