Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right before I left for the school this morning (10:30) I noticed a little bald patch right before Orson's stub (tail) I had to be to work by 10:50 so I didn't have a whole lot of time for inspection. It appeared to be smaller than a dime.

I worked for 2 hours, went to the bank, got home let him out to do his business and took time to really look at the little spot. Only now it looks bigger, about like a quarter. It is NOT red, NOT flakey, just bald. I checked for fleas (ya never know) and found nothing.

I got on the phone to my vet (this is about 2-2:30) and the receptionist tells me there will be no DR in til monday. (even though my vet is open til 6 on fri and noon on sat?? and there are 2 vets that practice there) Anyway, I tell her what is going on, and that I am afraid it could be mites or dermodex or whatever it's called, and she said highly unlikely, it wouldn't be just one little spot. I explained (I refered to you all as my doberman support group) that I have learned that dobes immune system matures slow and could be prone to this...........but she insisted it wasn't that.

She said to watch the area, maybe bath him (which I did like 4 days ago) and call back for an appointment Monday if I still felt I needed one.
Do you think I should try and find a vet that will see him tomorrow or wait til monday?? And if I do just wait til monday, is there anything I can do about the spot til then?

He hasn't switched foods. He hasn't eaten anything different, because of recent events he isn't left alone unless he is crated :)
He hasn't been bathed in anything different.
No new laundry soap, or softener, No new toys, Nothing new at all that I can think of.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Is the bald spot in an area he can reach to chew?

Whoever answered the phone at your vets has no way of telling if it's mites or not. Only a skin scrapping will show that.

Are you in the midwest? There is a seminar in Lake of the Ozarks this weekend. That may be where the vets are. My boss is off today and tomorrow too.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I manage for him to hold still long enough for a picture. Please keep in mind that this morning it was about half the size.
Not red, Not flakey.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We are in Northern Indiana. And yes, he can reach this area...........but why would he be chewing it?? Any suggestions

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Looks like a hotspot. Does it seem moist? If he's licking it, it could be because he was stung by a bug or it's a contact allergy.

If he's not licking or chewing it, I would wait until Monday to have him looked at.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It doesn't feel totally dry on the spot itself, but the hair is I haven't caught him licking or biting it.
I have read on dogster that sometimes dogs get benedryl, if it is bothering him should I give him some, and how much??

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
It def looks like the start to a hotspot to me. If you have it on hand use an anti fungal cream like canestin and it will help clear it right up. You should wash it with Betadine first, dry it and rub the cream in. If you stay on top of it, it should be gone in a matter of days.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where can I get canestin?? and is that safe for him to lick off if he decides to?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I ran out and bought this stuff for dogs with 'mercaptobenzothiazole' and 'isopropyl alcohol' as the only listed ingredients. It says for "hot spots" associated with scratching, hair loss, redness and irritation. I will use that this weekend, if it is still there monday I will call the vet and get him in. I also bought some doggie hydro cortisone spray incase I see him itching or biting. Any more suggestions or ideas please let me know.
I was afraid of the 'antifungal' suggestion because he can reach to lick it off.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
I just put some on my dog as a he developed a hot spot, it absorbes quickly and I haven't had a problem with them licking it....

·
Registered
323 Posts
If he is crated while you are gone, check his crate to see if the hair is there. He could be rubbing it off. While I agree with everyone that it looks like a hot spot. That is a hard place to reach even for a dog.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Glad to see your right on things Acooper, it's refreshing to see! :)

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
It does not look red or irritated like a hot spot. And if you don't see him licking or bothering with it I kinda doubt it would be one. Just my opinion but I would get him to a vet on Monday...keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good idea Molari, I didn't even think of that.
and Thanks Okie, I feel like a worry wart most of the time, even the receptionist at the Vet office made me feel a little foolish for worrying about it.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Better to be safe than sorry!!

·
Extraordimary
5,075 Posts
FWIW, I don't think it looks like a hot spot - they are usually red, moist and ugly.

It does look more like a spot of demodex, but it could also just be nothing more than a bug bite or other minor irritation that he got working on a bit. Even if it were demodex, these days they say to leave it be and let the immune system kick in on its own if at all possible.

IMO, it doesn't look like a panic situation and I wouldn't be heading to the vet but that's just me. I'd spray some Bitter Apple on it to get him to leave the area alone and keep watching it.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
If his hair is wet he very well could be licking or chewing that area.

First of all the lady at your vets office answers the phone, she is not the vet so dont let her make you feel bad. You are not a worry wart you are the parent of a dobie that is concerned.

Hair loss is not something that you want to fool around with. Whatever it may be when treated early versus later is always better. With that said I certainly dont think that waiting until Monday is a bad idea but if it makes you feel better to go today than there is nothing wrong with that as well.

Please let us know what the vets says.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
His little spot has got me researching the net for different skin/immune products...................Has anyone tried "sea meal" by solid gold? It says it is a supplement used for skin and to boost immune systems. They said it could be given to all pets...........cats, dogs, horses etc....They also a mentioned a product called "missing link" but some complained their dogs wouldn't eat it because it tasted bad????
I was just wondering about anyones experience with these supplements.

·
Extraordimary
5,075 Posts
I've used Missing Link in the past, and I don't think the dogs found it to be unpalatable. But I also don't think it did anything for my dogs. Especially black dogs. I thought it was somewhat more helpful with my red dogs, but apparently not helpful enough to keep buying it - lol.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Is he on flea/tick preventative right now?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts