Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just reading a little bit about this, and i was wondering how many years apart your pups would need to be to avoid this type of thing? 1 year? 2 years? more?

i'm just curious, i won't even be getting my first for a while :(

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Personally I think 3 years apart is best, especially if the one you have is a male. They are so slow to mature. Also Dobes don't live long lives so the further they are apart in age the better chance you have of not losing them too close together. I'm sticking to one from now on...its such a nice easy way to live having only one sweet well trained dog, for once my life isn't full of chaos. :p

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I think littermate syndrome is a terrible worry that should be avoided like mad- but IMHO I think its less of a worry past about a year of age for the older puppy. There is, of course, other reasons to wait though! A dog's temperament isn't necessarily done developing until two years or later, and some dogs can develop dog aggression up until that point, I think it's really important to wait until a dog's temperament is done changing to be sure that the new addition fits.

And last, but not least, it is devastating to lose a pet, and I really believe that anyone should consider what it would be like to lose two of their babies at the same time because they grew old together. I'd always keep dogs a few years apart for this reason if the other reasons weren't there.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,732 Posts
I like about 3 years between dogs--but not necessarily to avoid littermate syndrome. I want the older dog to be well trained so I can trust him to listen and obey--as an example for the puppy, and as an aid for when I have my hands full of puppy.

Two dogs pulling on the leash
Two dogs crashing past me in the doorway
Two dogs snatching something forbidden and running off without dropping it
Two dogs teething
Two dogs mouthing and jumping up on me
Two dogs with incomplete potty training

No thanks--I like to get the first through all those problem stages before I start on another dog.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts