Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you use listerine on your dogs?
I remember long ago it was used in the shop as a final rinse on some dogs but thought of it again after reading Storm's regime on that great site about caring for a dilute.
Chi stinks, she always has - bad enough that she gets a bath at least 1x a week. I know that bathing her that often is horrible for her skin and coat but she really stinks and the between bath wipes just makes her smell like a sweet/flowery stinky dog. She also has seasonal allergies and gets bumpy.
I figured the listerine would work well to cut her odor and keep her bumpies clean to reduce the chance of infection.
I mixed the water/listerine solution tonight, sprayed it on her, brushed her with a rubber curry and then kind of toweled her off so she wasn't drippy. Her coat is soft and shiny (I know, it's not supposed to be soft, it's soft like clean and healthy, not dry and brittle :) ), doesn't stink (does smell mediciny but better than stinky dog) and there are no flakies. I just wonder if anyone knows how often it safe to do this? Every other day or so? Once a week?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I've never used the listerine, but have heard of others that do. Not sure how often you can use it. I would think once a day if needed.

I'm just wondering why she stinks? Does she have an active skin infection? Dobermans shouldn't stink. Peaches is the dirtiest dog I have owned. She gets in the back yard and rolls on the grass and dirt to scratch her back, but she doesn't stink. Can you tell where the odor is coming from?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It comes from all over and always has. I've talked to the vet - was concerned about an infection - none to be found, he says she's fine, she just stinks. Her smell reminds me almost of dirty cocker ears (as a groomer, I know you're familiar with that smell) not as pungent but just as distinct. It got a little better after I switched her to Canidae but not a whole lot... I wonder if maybe the humidity here has something to do with it... But she's in the house about 22 hours of the day in the A/C. I have to wash the throw blankets on the sofa and chair every few days and should probably buy stock in Febreeze as much as I use it on the furniture to keep the odor at bay...
I had myself 1/2 convinced her thyroid test would come back showing thyroid dysfunction and maybe that would explain it but nope, her thyroid is text book perfect....

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
TracyJo said:
Do any of you use listerine on your dogs?
I remember long ago it was used in the shop as a final rinse on some dogs but thought of it again after reading Storm's regime on that great site about caring for a dilute.
Chi stinks, she always has - bad enough that she gets a bath at least 1x a week. I know that bathing her that often is horrible for her skin and coat but she really stinks and the between bath wipes just makes her smell like a sweet/flowery stinky dog. She also has seasonal allergies and gets bumpy.
I figured the listerine would work well to cut her odor and keep her bumpies clean to reduce the chance of infection.
I mixed the water/listerine solution tonight, sprayed it on her, brushed her with a rubber curry and then kind of toweled her off so she wasn't drippy. Her coat is soft and shiny (I know, it's not supposed to be soft, it's soft like clean and healthy, not dry and brittle :) ), doesn't stink (does smell mediciny but better than stinky dog) and there are no flakies. I just wonder if anyone knows how often it safe to do this? Every other day or so? Once a week?
My parent's dobe is the same way Trac, she maintains that "houndy" smell. I don't know how else to describe it. It doesn't come from anything in particular, but her coat always has an odor to it. She's an inside dog, and doesn't spend time outside to roll in dirt, or yuck, so it isn't that. She'll get a bath and within a few days, the same odor will be back. It isn't eyewatering, just noticable.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I heard of that too. I know that some show people use it before they go into the ring. They dilute it half water and half listrine in a spray bottle. I don't see a problem if you use it like that. Maybe someone else have a differant idea.

·
Premium Member
8,959 Posts
I've used listerine in a spray bottle diluted 1 part listerine to 3 parts water. Just spray her down (don't get in the eyes) and wipe off. Make sure you use the regular listering - not the blue stuff.

That is weird about the smell. Most Dobermans have little to no smell. I wonder if anyone else can shed any light on that. If she gets bumps it is most likely a staph infection - has she been on antibiotics? Most people will recommend a 30 day series of keflex ( I think) for staph. It is really hard to get rid of and a week to 10 days will normally not get rid of it.

·
Registered
986 Posts
As someone who lives in a year-round humid climate (So. Fla.), I would discount the humidity theory completely. Given that Chi is otherwise healthy and infection-free AND the fact that you noticed a distinct difference when you changed food, I would lean toward food being the culprit. It could be as simple as one single ingredient that was in both foods you fed (i.e. maybe chicken?). The other explanation is that she just has the stink gene. How is her breath?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Tracy, Nash had a "stinky" dog odor, kinda like a wet dog smell but Da'Kari never smells. I did notice that when he stunk the most was after he went outside and ran and played. I was also giving him a bath about once a week but I know that isn't good so I started asking around and was given the listerine mix suggestion. I do 1 part listerine 3 parts water also and use it about once a week. It helped but not completely until I changed their food to Canidae and it helped tremendously with Nash. He hardly ever smells now but when he does I brush him down and do the listerine spray. Before the food change it was pretty unbearable.

How long has Chi been on Canidae? Maybe it will take a little longer to work or maybe there is something in the Canidae that doesn't agree with her. It works for Nash but some foods work with one that won't work with another.

·
Registered
891 Posts
There is another mixture you can use, I can't think of it right off the top of my head but I will ask my Mom. We had one Dobe that had the same ordeal your speaking of and it was a skin condtion as well (I'll have to ask that too), but all my other Dobes rarely required a bath. Grace has had 2 in her 4 yrs and PeeWee the same in her almost 2 yrs. They roll and dig in dirt too.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Our guy used to have that kind of a smell. He used to have all kinds of problems with his skin (flakies, itchies and bumps) and coat (thin from all the itching/scratching). During our search for a food that worked for him it got better with some kibbles, then we hit the jackpot and found a kibble that worked beautifully for him. No more smell, no more problems with itchies/scratchies, bumps or flakes!

·
Registered
891 Posts
sundobe said:
Our guy used to have that kind of a smell. He used to have all kinds of problems with his skin (flakies, itchies and bumps) and coat (thin from all the itching/scratching). During our search for a food that worked for him it got better with some kibbles, then we hit the jackpot and found a kibble that worked beautifully for him. No more smell, no more problems with itchies/scratchies, bumps or flakes!
What kind of kibble Sundobe??

·
Registered
166 Posts
Dogs also tend to stink worse when they are bathed too often. It's like a negative feedback cycle. You bathe them because they stink, but it breaks the skin down and makes them stink worse and a lot quicker, so you bathe them again..............

If it's not a food allergy or skin infection, I'd tough it out and let her stink for a while and see how it goes. :win2k:

·
Registered
986 Posts
Also TJ, have heard of some adding chlorophyll to the dog's water, which is supposed to act like an internal body deodorizer (think baking soda in the fridge). It can be bought in tablets or liquid (drops) at the health food store and elsewhere I'm sure, and is supposedly harmless to dogs. Also, you can buy chlorophyll plants for them to chew on outside if you're so inclined. Anyway, it's something to consider.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Oh, I forgot to ask, do you add any yogurt or cottage cheese to the diet. These have enzymes that can help the skin and coat. I give Maggie a big tablespoon a day of gottage cheese. She loves it!

Worth a try anyway.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
You can try adding APV (apple cider vinegar) to her water bowl or meals.

I bath mine all the time and they do not smell.

I know when mine had that smell, not bathing was not an option, as he would stink up the whole house, it wasn't horrible, but was very noticable.

My boy like sundobe's used to smell all the time, but we found the right food for him and got his ear infections under control and now it is a problem of the past thankfully!

I used the Listerine mix during his smell time, only made him worse. Nothing seemed to cover it up.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
I agree with the food people, My dogs have done great on Solid Gold, no more stinky puppies. The only thing that stinks is their breath right after they eat, and that only lasts about 10 minutes. Also, my moms Chihuahua used to stink really bad, found out, she needed her teeth cleaned! No more stink.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
PeeWeesMama said:
What kind of kibble Sundobe??
Innova EVO

I should also mention, it virtually eliminated his nasty gas too. Now he only gets bad gas when hubby caves and spoiles him with too many goodies.

Reactions: PeeWeesMama

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
THANK YOU Ilovemydobie :D

Also, When I was in Texas I ran out of food for Rom and Piper and was not able to get the Solid Gold where my mom lives. (I brought a 33lb bag!!! You would think that would be plenty) I searched high and low for ANY Super Premium Kibble, because I was not going to feed them any crap food, and I finally found a specialty pet store with Innova and California Natural, I opted for the Innova, and I just bought a big bag of it, for the month or so they were on it, they loved it and I still feed them the Innova Health Bars, they love those too.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
I am sorry to go off topic tracy but when i saw this post on the home page with the title Listerine i thought "how the heck do you get Chi to gargle with Listerine" doh! stupid me.
:largegr: :help_up_2 :help_up_2 :emo11:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts