Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 2 Dobermans (one female and one male) and I'm trying to figure out how to get them to listen to me. Most of the time this is when i let them outside and when i am calling for them to come in. They look back and run the other way.They listen to my boyfriend and my son but not me. Is this a female thing or what? Any info would be appreciated since i am new with this.

·
Premium Member
8,442 Posts
First do you work with them on commands and do you mean what you say when you give a command. What I mean by this is that when you say sit, do you mean sit the first time or do you repeat yourself mutiple times. A dobie just like a kid knows how many times it takes before mom really means what she saids. If that is not the case then work with one at a time and have something that is of a high value to each of them. It may be food or a toy. Begin with a short leash and call their name having the high value treat ready to give as soon as they begin to move. Increase with longer leashes. How long will this take, until they have it mastered. Work on it daily for a few minutes a day always ending on a high note. I highly recommend attending a dog obedience class, these classes are not for the dog so much as it is for the owners. Good luck.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Its common for some women, to talk too softly and have a sweet voice...and dogs can truly sense this.

Just get your man face (game face) on, like when your SO needed a verbal bath...and taken to the cleaners...lol...comes with practice.

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
I highly recommend attending a dog obedience class, these classes are not for the dog so much as it is for the owners. Good luck.
I second this. Also, when you call them, YOU have to be more exciting than ANYTHING else in the world at that point. Don't say come, come, come, come, over and over again or it will just become background noise, and the word come will be what we call a "poisoned" word. One firm "Dog's name, COME!" will suffice, then you can make a great deal of whistling, clapping, cheering to get them to come to you, saying anything you want but the dog's name and the word come. One girl in our class randomly yelled out BANANA and the dog came running! Strange, but effective! If they do come to you, no matter how long they took, praise them like they won the lottery!! If they WON'T come, go and get them, but as you walk back to the house, praise them as if they are walking to the house themselves to come to you.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
You've really got to work with one dog at a time-respect has to be earned on an individual basis.

It's definitely true women have an automatic disadvantage due to their smaller size and higher pitched voice. None of this is insurmountable, tho, you've just got to learn to be more forceful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts