Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We get our pup in about a week so I have begun to get ready for the arrival. I have been doing tons of research on what dog food to purchase. I keep coming back to Taste of the Wild.

When I checked with my vet, she said she does not like it for puppies because its an "all stages" food. She says I need to get a food that is made especially for puppies. She also says she is not a nutricionalist (sp?)

TOTW comes in 4 varieties. 2 have 32% protein and the other 2 have 28% protein. Could anyone suggest what I should do?

Do I go with a puppy food? Do I go with TOTW and if I do, for a puppy would the higher protein be better or less protein better?

·
u mad?
6,502 Posts
Most vets are not nutritionalists though it's nice of yours to actually admit that since most don't. TOTW is a wonderful food for dogs of any age (note All Life Stages). I don't see any reason not to give it to a puppy and I know many people who's dogs have been on TOTW since they got them at 8 weeks or so.

·
Registered
463 Posts
My vet also advocated to stay away from All life stages foods because it doesn't give the puppy the "appropriate" nutrients for their growing.

I listened to my breeder instead and have my pup on Canidae all life stages and she is doing wonderful ;)

·
Paralibrarian
6,223 Posts
When I had Elka on puppy food, her bones grew too fast in her front legs and she knuckled over. When I switched her to adult food (and later, too much later to credit it for this) TOTW, the problem thankfully fixed itself.

It could be I had her on the wrong puppy food, I don't know. What does your breeder say?

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
If the protein count is too high it can be just as bad as feeding a puppy food which designed to increase growth rate. That is not good for puppies. The 28% TOTW is better than 32%

Too high a protein can cause several problems - pano being one.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
If you're going to say this, it would be better to phrase it as an opinion or a theory. There is no science to support higher protein levels causing problems (pano, or anything else) for carnivorous animals who are designed to thrive on a diet of protein, fat and micronutrients.

No one really knows what causes pano.

·
Registered
16,117 Posts
I havent raised a litter in a long time, but just observing on here, I have noticed the pups that turn up with growth problems are being fed a cheap inadequate food. Once the quality is bumped up the pups self correct. About pano, it is my understanding and experience that too many calories, overfeeding, is what causes or at least contributes to causing it. Also been my understanding to feed an all life stages adult food to a pup if you are not going to feed a large breed puppy food. All life stages foods are supposed to be puppy food. I would email a company if I was considering feeding their puppy food and asking them if it is formulated for slow growth of large breed puppies. I still recommend Innova Large Breed Puppy, has grain, and Acana, grain free. Adding a little raw meat to the diet is always a good thing to do.

·
denormalized
5,846 Posts
If you're going to say this, it would be better to phrase it as an opinion or a theory. There is no science to support higher protein levels causing problems (pano, or anything else) for carnivorous animals who are designed to thrive on a diet of protein, fat and micronutrients.

No one really knows what causes pano.
I feed raw and was told that the actual protein content in raw meaty bones is much lower than 28%, more like 23% or less. Due to the fat, moisture, calcium/phosphorus from the bones, etc.

·
Banned
74 Posts
If the protein count is too high it can be just as bad as feeding a puppy food which designed to increase growth rate. That is not good for puppies. The 28% TOTW is better than 32%

For someone with so many posts and titles I was hoping you'd offer more knowledgeable information.... Misha is doing amazing on 38% Orijen and my vet agrees.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I feed raw and was told that the actual protein content in raw meaty bones is much lower than 28%, more like 23% or less. Due to the fat, moisture, calcium/phosphorus from the bones, etc.
I feed raw, as well. What you've written is both true and irrelevant. You cannot compare the nutrient profiles of wet and dry foods to one another. A diet based on raw meaty bones is basically dinner and a drink of water all in one, and the only way to compare it to a dry food is to remove the moisture content in both and compare the dry remainders of the two foods. A raw diet probably averages 60+% protein and 30+% fat, with the balance made up of vitamins and mineral content... much higher protein and fat than any kibble.

You can take a piece of beef and toss it in the blender with some broth and turn it into baby food, or toss the same piece on the grill, or put that piece in a dehydrator and make jerky... the nutrient content of the baby food and the steak and the jerky are quite different, but they are all the same food... yes?

Dry matter basis is explained better here: Dry Matter Basis… the Only Fair Way to Compare Dog Foods.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I feed raw, as well. What you've written is both true and irrelevant. You cannot compare the nutrient profiles of wet and dry foods to one another. A diet based on raw meaty bones is basically dinner and a drink of water all in one, and the only way to compare it to a dry food is to remove the moisture content in both and compare the dry remainders of the two foods. A raw diet probably averages 60+% protein and 30+% fat, with the balance made up of vitamins and mineral content... much higher protein and fat than any kibble.

You can take a piece of beef and toss it in the blender with some broth and turn it into baby food, or toss the same piece on the grill, or put that piece in a dehydrator and make jerky... the nutrient content of the baby food and the steak and the jerky are quite different, but they are all the same food... yes?

Dry matter basis is explained better here: Dry Matter Basis… the Only Fair Way to Compare Dog Foods.
She did throw in the ditty about "due to fat, mositure, minerals, etc etc", but thank you for a great explanation of why the comparison of the two diets is pointless.

OP, the high protein % has nothing to do with growth abnomalities. If you are going to feed kibble, you are fine with any of the suggestions, TOTW, Acana, Orijen are all good foods.

·
Premium Member
8,738 Posts
Maybe consulting a canine nutritionalist (sp?) would be a good idea - it couldn't hurt.

I feed raw so I have no insight to commerical dog food. ;)

FWIW - dogs are like people. . . some do well on certian diet, while other do not. You have to do your homeowrk and find out waht works for your pup. I might buy the small version of the bag dry food just in case it doesn't agree with the pup. I had one that had horrible poop on Innova and did great on Wellness Core - the protein difference was about 3% or so if I remember right (that was about 4 years ago). Anyway - Vader will not touch any pork with a 10 foot pole, I have no idea why. . . he eats everything else.

·
Registered
551 Posts
OP, I just wanted to throw something in the mix. Some vets reccommend certain kibbles from companies that they get financial gain or support from. And through no fault of their own, vets get surprisingly little education about nutrition in school. I would always take it with a grain of salt. Although your vet does sound like an honest one.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Jenny;970788 FWIW - dogs are like people. . . some do well on certian diet said:
This is so true! Find out what works for your pup. I've fed raw to some, high end kibble to others and I did have one dog that did the best on a crappy grocery store brand (I do NOT recommend this type of food in ANY way but it is what worked best for him!).

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have had my Gia on TOTW since she was 10 wks old. I have a thrEe year old witha allergies and it has helped so muCh she no longer need meds. I have a 9 year old dog also and she seems to be so much more agilE on it. My Dobe is doing great with a beautiful coat. I would recomend it highly!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have had my Gia on TOTW since she was 10 wks old. I have a thrEe year old witha allergies and it has helped so muCh she no longer need meds. I have a 9 year old dog also and she seems to be so much more agilE on it. My Dobe is doing great with a beautiful coat. I would recomend it highly!
Is one flavor better than others? Meaning for health reasons and if the dogs seem to like one more than the other?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OP, I just wanted to throw something in the mix. Some vets reccommend certain kibbles from companies that they get financial gain or support from. And through no fault of their own, vets get surprisingly little education about nutrition in school. I would always take it with a grain of salt. Although your vet does sound like an honest one.

She's a great vet. She didn't recommend anything brandwise beyond me using a puppy food. She doesn't even sell dog food in her office.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.