Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd never heard this before and now I'm worried. Chaz, in his thread about his dear Mavis, mentioned something about a possible link between the large chests and heart attacks (or other problems?). My Storm has a huge chest and well sprung ribcage. Is she more at risk than a smaller-chested Dobe to have a heart attack?

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
is the heart problem the cardiomyopathy??? I don't know anything about it...but that is a heart condition that I think Dobes have...until some other people respond....maybe try reading up on the cardiomyopathy...Im not sure though. I also heard that the bigger chested dobes are more prone to bloat too.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
LapDog said:
is the heart problem the cardiomyopathy??? I don't know anything about it...but that is a heart condition that I think Dobes have...until some other people respond....maybe try reading up on the cardiomyopathy...Im not sure though. I also heard that the bigger chested dobes are more prone to bloat too.
It's felt that dogs who have deep briskets but are narrow in width are at increased risk for bloat.

The dogs I've personally been involved with who have had cardio did NOT have large, overly deep chests..in fact, just the opposite. Other dogs I can think of who were known cardio victims really extend throughout the spectrum of structural possibilities.

I've never heard any cardiologist or legitimate researcher promote the idea that any particular structure carries any increased risk.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts