Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Again not sure where to ask this lol. So I'm asking here ;) Since Bruno is still a puppy.

When do they normally start to lift their leg to pee? Weird question maybe, sorry lol. I'm just curious because we were told to get him fixed after he's mastered that. I'd like to get him fixed ASAP. But want to wait till he's learned to lift his leg. Is it just something that takes time? Very's from dog?

I'm new at this dog owner stuff. So please forgive the silly questions LOL :)

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
You were told to not get him fixed until after he's mastered the art of hiking? LOL that's a new one to me :)
I've only had 2 male dogs, one was neutered at a young age (8wks was standard when we were here last time) and hikes his leg with the best of them but we've never had a problem with him "marking" his territory. Petri on the hand wasn't neutered until around 9 months (just a few weeks after I got him); he marks EVERYTHING! and has been virutally impossible to housebreak because of it. Now I can't say that he'd be any different if he had been neutered before he became sexually mature, but he might have been.

There is dissenting opinion on when the best age is to neuter though. Talk to your vet about it and get his opinion. I'm of the opinion, the sooner the better but it's just my opinion and is not at all medically based.

If he's 5 months now, he may start hiking his leg and marking territory. Do you really want him to get into that habit?

On the other hand, I have a friend with an 8yr old unneutered male GSD that never hikes his leg, he never has either. So if you're waiting for that, you might be waiting a long time :)

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL WOW @ 8yrs :/

I was just told it's better to do it then. Because he'll know how to hike his leg? I dunno.

I will ask the vet tho. Because I would like it done sooner then later. I also don't want him to mark his territory around the house LOL. But I do want him to hike his leg to go pee LOL He just looks funny squating (but if that's the way he wants to do it, I'm okay with that lol).

·
Registered
357 Posts
i think they start hiking legs about 7 months.. my cocker didnt get fixed til he was 2.. and my pit/boxer 1 and 1/2..They hike there leg out side ONCE in a great while..but its mostly squat or mini hike lol..

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
As Tracy says there is some debate as to the best time to neuter, it is all a matter of what you chose. There is the idea that the sooner the better, or there is the train of thought to let them mature physically for about a year or two.

I will tell you that my rescued aussie, we got him when he was about a year and a few months old, and had his neuter scheduled for about two weeks later, and now he is about 6 years old, and still squats to pee :) Unless he is out of his yard, then he must lift his leg to mark everything he can reach.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
the golden retriever that Duchess grew up with is 2 years old...and still pees without his leg up...lol and our male lab coco pees with his leg up only when he is marking his territory or whatever...

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Cody mostly squatted. and Apollo does both, it all depends. If you are very worried LMB, you could always find him a male role model to take Bruno on his walks LOL. the neighbors might object tho....

cc

·
Registered
107 Posts
My dog was neutered at three months (shelter pooch), and he started lifting his leg around two years old. He doesn't do it all the time and still pees trips quicker.

I think a lot of dogs start around one year or so... At least so I've heard. *shrug*

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Spirit started to hike when he was about 4 months. He is still intact and has NEVER marked in the house.. He does mark the yard, sometimes the girls when they go to pee and do not move quick enough..
One time at the trainers.. He had to go really really bad and long.. well, he had his leg way up taking a nice lonnnggggg pee when a bird landed on his leg that way up in the air.. the trainer said he almost peed himself laughing... He didn't know who was more surprised.. Spirit with the bird on his leg or the bird with a "tree limb" that moved.. LOL
Now my daughters dog Frodo never lifts his leg to pee..
Heck, sometimes even my girls lift their leg to pee.. So who know!!LOL
I guess each to their own style!!!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LMAO @ A bird landing on his leg. How funny is that?? Would have made a great picture hehe.

I guess I'll just wait it out and see. After reading some of the things that come with getting him fixed. I dunno if I'm ready yet :/ I'll have to talk it over with the vet and my husband I guess :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts