Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought Lucan was a little young for this but I have never owned a male (dog that is!):biggrin55 . He's done it several times today and it was actually on the step of or deck, he didn't even make it out to the backyard.
He starts his first obedience class tomorrow morning so I will let you know how he does.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
What a man!...Petey is 6 months today....and starting to mark everything on our hiking trail....by peeing like a girl! I don't expect him to life his leg for a another few months. I've only owned male dogs, and they take a long time to lift their legs, but once it starts.........they do it everywhere!

oxc

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Thank goodness Buddy does not lift his leg he never has been around other males it is better that he does not do that. Hard to keep them from doing that in the house always thought better to clean the floor than the furniture.
Patches Mom

·
Premium Member
10,274 Posts
Thank goodness Buddy does not lift his leg he never has been around other males it is better that he does not do that. Hard to keep them from doing that in the house always thought better to clean the floor than the furniture.
Patches Mom
Hey Patches Mom,

There is NO reason that a male should pee in your house or anyplace else that you believe is inappropriate--training is the answer.

I keep nothing but males and haven't had a bitch living full time with me since the early 60's. NONE of my males lift their legs in my house or anyone else's house--nor do they pee on things at dog shows even though the temptation might be be great since a lot of other folk let their dogs pee on trash cans and in door ways.

I've found that usually a male puppy will try hiking their leg someplace they shouldn't (house or other inside space) about the time they learn to lift their leg--since they aren't very adept at the whole leg lifting routine at that point I've found that pushing them over (toward the leg they have lifted) and saying "NO" works fine--I've never had a male try more than once in a location where they've been corrected and they all learn the "No--inside" command--which means for them that they can not pee there (where ever there might be).

As for the question of is it common for a puppy to start leg lifting at 13 weeks. Not common but it does happen--I've known a few Dobes that started earlier than that. A lot of small dog males (small terriers and toy breeds in particular) who start the leg lifting as early as 8 weeks.

Most of my Dobe males as well as the Afghan and the Aussie started to lift their legs at around 5-6 months but I've had a few that were nearly a year before they did and a couple who were much younger.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I hear you it is cute when the little man starts lifting his leg. Yes I agree with dobebug nip it in the bud and let him know marking and squirting are inappropriate. One good pee that is it outside. I have said this before and I will till I die if one just lets them twiddle diddle where ever then they become in my eyes a dirty dog.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Petey is starting to look like he will be joining Lucan soon! On our hike today, twice I saw him go up against a tree, looking like he was going to lift it! My baby is growing up!

Carol ox

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Your boy is growing fast. :)

Our last dobie didnt lift his left until he was almost 2. It was so funny, me and my husband were outside and my husband looked over just in time to see Magnus lift his leg. My husband threw his arms straight up in the air and screamed, "YES". You would have thought that he had just hit the lottery or something.

Our current boy, Titus started lifting his leg much earlier that Magnus. He started around 8 months.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts