Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any ideas, well besides the satellite dish around his head, to make a dog stop licking?

Max has decided to lick his bandaged leg at any moment he can get at it.....

1 week down, 9 more to go

·
Extraordimary
4,924 Posts
SamHayne said:
Anyone have any ideas, well besides the satellite dish around his head, to make a dog stop licking?

Max has decided to lick his bandaged leg at any moment he can get at it.....

1 week down, 9 more to go
Forgive me for not remembering but it's a back leg, isn't it? If you fold a towel so that it's rather thick and then wrap it around his neck snugly and affix it in position, it may prevent him from being able to bend comfortably around to be able to lick. It's much more humane, IMO, than the Elizabethan collar.

·
Extraordimary
4,924 Posts
This is also one of those situations where a good "Leave it" command comes in handy. Every dog should be taught that from the get-go because it's just one of those commands you're going to need eventually.

·
Extraordimary
4,924 Posts
MaryAndDobes said:
Forgive me for not remembering but it's a back leg, isn't it?
Sorry, just saw that it's a front leg. I would definitely use Bitter Apple or a product like it coupled with supervision and constant reminding to "leave it" along with distraction.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks will try the bitter apple. We did find out, however, Max had a cut between his toes when we brought him in for the surgery. That is healing up as well & the vet said, that is most likely the reason for his licking of the wrap on his foot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts