Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you have dogs who enjoy SOAKING your couch?! Both Bentley and Max will literally soak a good chunk of a couch cushion by licking it. I wonder if they are doing it to cool it down so it's more comfortable to lay on? Or perhaps they think micro-fiber tastes good? Every time I come home from work, I can tell you exactly where Max has been!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Rachael nurses on stuffies and after she's had one for a while, it REEKS. I would be using one of those nasty tasting sprays to discourage this, or you might need to invest in a steam cleaner!

Sometimes, licking fabric is indicative of nausea... but, this sound more like a simple habit than anything. If they were doing it to cool down (which kangaroos understand, but I doubt dogs do), I would think that they would just opt to lie on the cooler floor.

To ask about whether or not food gets spilled on the couch from time to time is too obvious, so I won't even go there...

·
Registered
463 Posts
ugh yes.... bed, couch, carpet, blankets, pillows. Its weird and gross lol. Whenever I catch her though I tell her to leave it.. and then usually redirect with a stuffy or something.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whenever I tell him to knock it off, I can see Bentley GLARING at me from the corner of his eye! It's quite funny, but he'll knock it out when I tell him too. I know food occasionally falls on the couch, but honestly never where they sit... maybe it's just some strange habit lol :p

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
When it's allergy season chase will get itchy and will begin licking the carpet. That's the only time I have seen him lick something for long periods of time.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Couch, sheets, pillowcases, blankets, duvets, all get a good licking from Toby every now and again. He will stop when we tell him, but the look of hurt on his face is a killer, you just know you have hurt his feelings.

Ho hum.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Couch, sheets, pillowcases, blankets, duvets, all get a good licking from Toby every now and again. He will stop when we tell him, but the look of hurt on his face is a killer, you just know you have hurt his feelings.

Ho hum.
I know that look... the look that says "omg my world just crumbled... why can i not do that!!!! I iz sad now.."

·
Super Moderator
21,897 Posts
Excessive licking can also be a sign of anxiety. There are some studies that suggest it's a self-soothing behavior.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I have found it to be allergy related with the only two dogs I have had that did it. Parker is one of them and I have found, with him, it seems to be an itchy chest. He can't reach it to lick, so he licks the couch, carpet or I have even seen him stand and kind of make licking motions with his tongue for a bit. He stops when I give his chest area a good scratch for him.

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,606 Posts
Coco is also a licker at times especially the couch or her bed. She seems to do it when she is really tired and falling asleep. To me it seems like self soothing for her. She stops when we tell her to. :butfly:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts