Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OMG!!!! Freya is driving me crazy. Does your dobie lick all the time? If she isn't licking she is scratching. It's weird because one of my dobes doesn't lick or scratch at all (or at least not in front of me) and the other licks herself all the time. Not necessarily in one spot. It could be her legs, her back, her butt, the air, the sofa, me. She will lick her paw so long that the sofa will have a wet spot. Am I missing something here? She eats Taste of the Wild food and she only gets plain milk bones for a treat. Oh look....she is licking her self now. Please help!!!!!! :help_up_2

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
For both itching and licking....

Does it seem obsessive?
or
is it just calm and relaxed bodily licking/itching?

With no specific spots of focus?

If you tell her to stop does she listen?
for how long?
If not what does she do?

How long has she done this?
Has she been checked by a vet for any skin or possible back/nerve issues?

Reactions: bean

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it seem obsessive?
or
is it just calm and relaxed bodily licking?

If you tell her to stop does she listen?
for how long?
If not what does she do?

How long has she done this?
Has she been checked by a vet for any skin or possible back/nerve issues?

It seems obsessive. She has done it ever since I brought her home, which was a year ago. She just made 1 on March 16. She will sorta stop when I tell her to. It is quit funny, because she will look up at me with those puppy dog eyes and stick her tongue out like "I'm sure he didn't see that".

I'm not sure how long she will go on, I know I have waited at least 5 minutes for her to stop and then I just get tired of hearing that wet licking sound.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Dobermans are a breed prone to OCD behaviors. How much exercise does she get daily? What do you provide her to stimulate her mind?

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
So she has done this since a pup then?

From the rough limited info so far it sounds like an ocd behavior at this point that may still have an underlying cause i.e. back pain or nerve tinglings, skin infection of some sort, or plain stress/ocd behavior.

Has she been to a vet about it?
ever created a sore from her licking?
Does she have any coat problems? (bald spots, dry skin, etc...)

Hopefully others will chime in but the more details the better!

Reactions: bean

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dobermans are a breed prone to OCD behaviors. How much exercise does she get daily? What do you provide her to stimulate her mind?
I let her and Dish out of the back yard to run in a 5 acre field. they play until they just come lay down by me. It could be an hour or it could be 2 hours. they run and play until they are foaming at the mouth.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So she has done this since a pup then?

From the rough limited info so far it sounds like an ocd behavior at this point that may still have an underlying cause i.e. back pain or nerve tinglings, skin infection of some sort, or plain stress/ocd behavior.

Has she been to a vet about it?
ever created a sore from her licking?
Does she have any coat problems? (bald spots, dry skin, etc...)

Hopefully others will chime in but the more details the better!
She has always done it. I got her when she was 9 weeks old and she just turned 1 in March. When I took her to get spayed I told the vet and she told me that it was probably the treats I was giving her. She told me to give her treats with no flavor, like plain milk bones. I did that and she still does it. Her coat if beautiful, very shiny, no bald spots, or dry skin that I can see. She did get Demodex when she was little but that was treated. I wonder if that has something to do with it.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
She could have allergies, a skin infectio or demodex is possible though usually accompanied by coat problems (bald spots, dry skin, etc..) it could be an ocd habit.

Does she lick less when she has had a more eventful and tiring day?

What variety of totw is she on?
You could try switching to treats that are high quality just the same as totw brand food as the milkbones may be causing her an issue, evo makes some called wild cravings (it is literally their foods in treat shape and size) but they are grain free high quality treats unlike milkbones which don't tend to be made up of the greatest things.

I suggest a vet visit to rule out any skin issues or allergies in which case I would say it is an ocd habit (which it may also be at this point on top of an allergy or infection since she has been doing it so long)

In the mean time and long term assuming it is ocd, keep her busy, and do not allow her to lick herself...redirect instead. Try puzzle toys and bones like nylabones, going for walks, short 5 min training sessions and lots of praise/treats when she lays down calmly and doesnt lick herself, reinforce the right redirect the wrong

ETA: she runs in a field? does she lick more after?
she may have some form of pollen/grass allergy, you could try wiping her down with a hypoallergenic wet wipe like a baby wipe when she comes back, all of her body, feet, face, etc... and see if that helps as well.

·
Why is the rum gone?
2,263 Posts
Griff licks his butt like it's his job. I really do think he's addicted to it. He usually goes at it right before he settles down for a nap. His day? Get up, go outside, eat breakfast, lick butt, morning nap, whee my human's home from work we go for a walk/run/whatever, training, lick butt, take nap, eat dinner, evening nap, lick butt, evening trip outside, lick butt, bedtime.

I hauled him into the vet when I first realized the wet spots on the couch were not, in fact, from little dog drooling in her sleep. The vet took skin scrapings to test for problems (he hated that), checked his anal glands (he REALLY hated that), but he checked out healthy. He does have allergy issues sometimes, but those typically show up with licking and scratching around his legs. Benadryl does not stop the butt licking.

We've come to the conclusion, after ruling out medical causes, that Griffin uses his own butt as a pacifier. I taught him 'stop licking' so he won't do it in front of me, and life's good again.

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Lexi has OCD with licking as well.
I was curious how long she would lick the top of my head one day and it lasted easily a few minutes without stoppage. She doesn't have any certain areas to lick and it's usually just with people. Unless she is cleaning herself.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
It could be an OCD thing - certainly Dobes are known for it. However, I would try eliminating some things from her diet and see if it helps.

For one, I think that Taste of the Wild is on the recall list - so you may want to look into that to make sure her food is not on the recall list. It is a decent food - but you may want to try something different and make it grain free with a different protein source. Then, get rid of the milkbones!! I don't know what your vet was thinking - I don't think taste is what is making her lick! Find a grain free treat - I buy mine in bulk at the feed store - both salmon and turkey.

It is worth trying to rule out food issues before just chalking it up to OCD - also other posters asked about exercise and just plain social outings - dogs get bored and need mental AND physical stimulation. It might help.

Good luck to you -

Reactions: Sam1491

·
Registered
974 Posts
I have the same issue as River does. Odin is certifiably obsessed with his backside. It must be the cleanest part on his body with the way he goes at it. We have recently changed his food though and now he isn't quite so bad. Otherwise he isn't too bad with licking and never does it in one specific spot (unless its his bum).

However, the noise makes me freaking loopy. I'm like "AAAAAHHHHHHH" because of the noise and Odin just looks at me, with his tongue frozen in a half lick, giving me a face that says "what?". Its a very cute face but I have never known any other dog to have such a noisy, annoying lick as he does.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sometimes I take them walking around the college and sometimes I take them skating (they love that; they pull me while I'm on skates). I guess i'm going to have to keep a log as to when she does it and what has happened in the last 30 minutes to see if I can track a pattern. Zeblar, I feel your pain. It is such a sloppy sound. I love it when she looks up at me with those puppy dog eyes and her tongue is hanging out like "what am I doing wrong?"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts