Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Have you seen pedigree on them and health testing?
Can't wait to see pictures of the puppy.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have seen his pedigree but not the Dams yet hence me asking the breeder!
I will see all of the documentation prior to picking the puppy up.....otherwise I won’t be picking the puppy up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,321 Posts
I have seen his pedigree but not the Dams yet hence me asking the breeder!
I will see all of the documentation prior to picking the puppy up.....otherwise I won’t be picking the puppy up!

Do yourself a big one and ask for it now! The breeder owes you that information and should be able to talk you through it as well. This is an unhealthy breed and you don't want to buy a puppy from parents that aren't fully health tested! This doesn't mean a "clean bill of health" from the vet, it's much more. You can look in the puppy and breeder forums there are some great sticky threads on what to look for. Good luck!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right, I’ve asked! He’s probably getting fed up with me asking so many questions but they are important questions

·
ಠ_ಠ
6,561 Posts
Um...yeah, i'd be VERY concerned about their failure to provide that information prior to now.

Don't let them wiggle away from that. Ask for the bitch's registered name. Ask about titles and health testing, as well.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
They should have offered them prior to this. Don't ever feel bad for asking questions of a breeder. If I were a breeder I would want a customer to inquiry about all the accomplishments, testings and photo of parents. You as a breeder are proud of what you have done and all the work laid out to assure you of a healthy gorgeous puppy.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
They should have offered you this information prior to this. As a breeder you want someone that inquires about your puppies to ask all these questions. The breeder should have done so much to assure a healthy, beautiful litter, that they are proud to offer this information, almost before you had to ask.

Shoot, I wrote a much better response, but DT tossed it and said 'data error'. Now I can't remember and am in a hurry.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I totally agree with you! The issue is we are dealing with an importer who is effectively a middle man and having to ask the breeder on my behalf.
We shall see. Trust me, if I am not happy we won’t be going through with getting the puppy from him!

·
ಠ_ಠ
6,561 Posts
Yeah I totally agree with you! The issue is we are dealing with an importer who is effectively a middle man and having to ask the breeder on my behalf.
We shall see. Trust me, if I am not happy we won’t be going through with getting the puppy from him!
Okay, stop. Don't go through a broker. NEVER go through a broker. Deal directly with the breeder.

Who IS the breeder?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We can’t do it another other way in the UK because cropping and docking is illegal!

·
Got mutt?
13,596 Posts
Find a breeder who's dogs you like, and deal directly with them, not through a broker who brings in dogs from whomever they can buy from. I've been wondering why you said that you *might* know who the sire was, but hadn't a clue about the dam.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Don't get discouraged ....remember everyone here wants you to succeed in getting from a credible breeder.
Did you contact a broker to find a puppy for you?
Can't you deal directly with a breeder to ask these questions and then let a broker or whoever the law in UK requires to bring a dog in?
I obviously do not know the import laws there.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Am I discouraged to be honest. Importing is complicated and time consuming to the UK and it seemed more sensible to have a broker do the leg work to find us a suitable puppy.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He has sent me the health results but they are quite basic....I will contact the breeder directly and cross check

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
DAM : HD-A
SIRE: HD-B, vWD N/A, DCM N/N, B LOCUS B/B, Narcolepsy N/N

Any advice here?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts