Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay Lexus finally did something worthy of a brag session!!

Well, I took Lexus to the ball park today to run before I went out for the day, and when I pulled in, I didn't see anyone or anything in sight. I walked about halfway back to the woods with her, which would bring us close to the second fenced in baseball diamond. And cut her loose to run. And boy did she RUN!! Ran and roughed up about 15 Canadian Geese! (apparently the geese didn't get the memo- IT'S WINTER TIME)

Now to fully appreciate this, Canadian Gees are Lexus downfall, she LOOSES her mind when she sees them! And I can't exactly get some geese to hang around long enough while I desensitize her to them either! So it problem isn't really something I'm able to devote too much time to correcting. I kid you not, she tries to chase them when they are so far up in the sky all you can see is the V pattern! Whining the whole time. The one and only time she has not responded to a recall in nearly her two years was when she spooked some last spring, she followed them right in the pond. (that was fun....:mad: )

Back to my story, she gets about 15 geese in flight, as soon as I see them start to go, I start recalling her, not yelling just giving her a firm come front command coupled with a happy voice calling her name, she ran full circle away from the geese and bolted back at me full steam! She ran up to me so fast she sprayed mud and pea gravel on my pants with her sliding stop! Needless to say, COOKIES fell from heaven for her!!

I was so proud of her!! About a week or so ago, she stopped chase of a rabbit when I recalled her and I was so pleased at that (cookies fell from heaven again!), but for her to recall from GEESE! I mean WOW!

The ball park I take her to is pretty secluded, and as good a place as any to run off some steam, but I wasn't enthusiastic about wading in the pond again to get her!

I think the key with this is that we are not often (next to never) in a situation where there is any option but to respond to the recall, and the best of the treats are always reserved for the working recall. Nearly always fenced in or on the long flexi, and that is why now when it was important she responded to me, that we were thankfully successful.

Sorry for the ramble, just proud of my girl! Here is a pic of her in this park last winter.....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Congratulations on a job well done. I think Canada geese are too fun to pass up. Lyric chases them too when we're on the golf course. I just let him. LOL. It makes him run and build muscles and he'll never get one, so what the heck. But Lexus is a good dog to mind you so well.

Beautiful photo!!!

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Great news.....A great recalll always feel good.....Most be a very proud dobermom........

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awwwh shucks, thanks everyone!!! Love the animated goose picture by the way!!!

·
Registered
323 Posts
It is nice when they do it right isnt it? I miss the weather like that, it looks like a beautiful place to play and train. Are those fence posts running thru the snow?

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Molari said:
Are those fence posts running thru the snow?
I think so, maybe old markers or something? They are only on the line where the mowed part ends and the rest is grown up and brush-hogged to keep up on it in the summer. I love taking her there, it is deserted this time of year and I usually run her inside the fenced diamonds, but when there is that much snow I take her back aways in the woods to run too.

It is a great place in the spring and summer to train too, but I keep her on her long line, It's great to have the space to really work her, but there are kids playing and other dogs there for distractions at the same time.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Congrats!

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
It is fantastic to see results like that, makes all the training time so worthwhile.Just been to dogster to check Lexus's page she is soo pretty and about the same age as Tia(18 months on the 11th of Dec) so i can relate to these breakthroughs in training (now a recall from roast chicken!!)Keep up the good work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts