Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With me luck!

They will be testing me on everything they taught over the last 5 weeks.

Starting with a front to a heel, walking up to the first pylon with the dog on my side. Into a sit, down, and back to a sit. Continue to the next pylon with the dog at my side, then a sit stay, I walk out of sight and call her to me, and then get her to go lay down on a mat.

So, I will fashion up the stinkiest treat possible and give it to her at the end as we are working on phasing out the treats as often.

They are evaluating based on enthusiasm, focus and of course obedience to my commands.

Hopefully we pass and move on to advanced classes :)

If we do, there's another guy that I've been hearing about who has worked with dobes and has his own, that has a lot more experience then the current guy I've been working with. So I may chose to do the advanced classes with him.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
She looks so cute with her graduation cap. I love her tail too. Cute name. LOL

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Congrats Lexi & Dave...milestone's are always fun to achieve...she is cute in her grad photos and hat.
- glad your taking the advanced level next, OB training is such a solid foundation

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all.

I met a gentleman at the dog park that I go to, he trains dogs on a professional level.

I was wondering if anyone has experience working with "K9Dojo" around the Toronto area.
He gave a short demo with his GSD, which I must admit was very impressive...however, I'm not sure I'm ready to sink $1,200 on it....as I want Lexi to listen and obey better outside, but I don't need her to be a robot.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Dave L...$1,200.
- what goals, objectives (action plan, & proficiency level) and time line (# of hours) ...is KPDojo contemplating, for your Lexi ??
- a potential customer, needs to understand, what they are paying for exactly and true expected results
Done right, a happily motivated canine thinker & not a robot IMO, can result...and I stress the word CAN.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
She looks so cute in her cap! Congrats!

I understand what you mean by not wanting a robot. Since doing the formal OB class with Kyrah which was way strict for me. i learned she knows when I am going into that mode. I didnt go back to that class and went to rally. I just took it slow and I have kept up doing the exercises with her. She isnt a robot...just knows when I want to do those exercises. If that makes any sense. So IMO it really boils down to what you want to do with Lexi.

Kyrah and I enjoy going out a couple times a week. I guess it has become a habit...LOL we have been going to classes once or twice a week since she was 12 weeks old. Granted there are times we have missed more than a week or so. We get a little stir crazy if we miss too many classes. I am not sure if she thinks its her job or its just something that she is used to. Anyway I surely couldnt afford that at $1200 a pop. She just made 3 in May. I try not to think of how much I have spent on classes & things since having her. :D I joined the club, pay dues & field fees and do volunteer hours. Now I get to go to OB classes for free and agility classes at a disount. The OB we go to is more for an outing. I go to the Rally since it isnt to strict and really some of us I think go to visit. :)

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Thanks all.

I met a gentleman at the dog park that I go to, he trains dogs on a professional level.

I was wondering if anyone has experience working with "K9Dojo" around the Toronto area.
He gave a short demo with his GSD, which I must admit was very impressive...however, I'm not sure I'm ready to sink $1,200 on it....as I want Lexi to listen and obey better outside, but I don't need her to be a robot.
Sounds sketchy if you ask me. I have never talked to a professional dog trainer who stated they needed $1200 to begin training...

·
Small Handful of Woman
1,783 Posts
Congrats Dave!
Never heard of K9Dojo.
We have had good experiences with "Who's Walking Who" in the GTA.
Good luck with the next level!

Reactions: Dave_L

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds sketchy if you ask me. I have never talked to a professional dog trainer who stated they needed $1200 to begin training...
I haven' talked to the trainer directly yet about pricing. I asked a couple who had used him as a trainer. Maybe they paid for the full package.

I am going to ask him what he would charge to train a couple off leash things like recall, heeling and focus.

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DAVE. You have your industrial pierced? Rad.
z
Huge congrats! :)
AMANDA! Long time no see :)

Indeed I do. I've had it for many years

and thanks!

Although I'm thinking they would have passed just about anyone. Lexi did the best, but there was other dogs that strayed off the course who still passed...

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Congrats Dave!
Never heard of K9Dojo.
We have had good experiences with "Who's Walking Who" in the GTA.
Good luck with the next level!
Interesting. I'll look into that.

I was very, VERY impressed with the demonstration from K9dojo when I met the trainer at the dog park. It's just so very expensive!!

·
Small Handful of Woman
1,783 Posts
Interesting. I'll look into that.

I was very, VERY impressed with the demonstration from K9dojo when I met the trainer at the dog park. It's just so very expensive!!
AND it was a GSD.
I'd be asking to see him with a Dobe.
My hubby has taken several OB courses with Roxy, and took some time off with her just to work on recall before getting into anything more serious.
She's coming along, but is still young...and so is Lexi.

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Doesn't look like I will be switching to K9dojo.

I asked for a price on off leash recall, heeling and focus. All outside work. Nothing more, nothing less. $950.
$315 for each of the 3, is basically how I'm seeing it. Seems quite steep.

Which leads me to ask...what kind of money have others here sunk into training?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts