Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a quick question. It is dangerous if i let my dog sleep in my bed like 1 time a week or she can think that she is the master because she sleep in my bed? Can i also take her only 1 time a week or she gonna cry in her crate when i dont take her in my bed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Once you allow her to sleep in your bed on a consistent basis, your asking for trouble. She will then think she can get in the bed whenever she wants. It's not a problem when they are puppies as they dont take much space but when they become 80 pounds and decide to sprawl out, you will find there's not much room for yourself lol

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I think as long as she is invited up and gets off when told that's fine. When she is told off she has to do it by herself, if you push her off or pull her of she is not going to get the concept. You can grab her by the collar and use the word off or down and gently put resistance until she takes a step forward and gets off by herself or point and direct her where to go.

Odin is allowed on the furniture but he has to get off when told.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I agree shadowolf, the only problem I have seen, at least with mine, is even though he listens when is told to get off, he will still try to be sneaky sometimes at night when I'm sleeping and crawl into bed when he's not supposed to.

·
Registered
106 Posts
funny

I agree shadowolf, the only problem I have seen, at least with mine, is even though he listens when is told to get off, he will still try to be sneaky sometimes at night when I'm sleeping and crawl into bed when he's not supposed to.
That is hillarious...how does a doberman "be sneaky"...my boy used to sleep with me everynight...yes he was a big lug and space was a premium, but I wouldn't have wanted it any other way...he was the best cuddler! He would let me and my husband move him around, reposition him, he didn't care as long as he could be with us. But then again, we have a california king bed so there's lots a room....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Haha, maybe I'm more a deep sleeper but I've woke up plenty of times and haven't been able to move because he has snuck into bed

·
Registered
188 Posts
They do like to stick their legs straight out as they get older. haha. I have had a number of nights sleeping with dog paws in my back. There's also been times when we went to bed and Jasper stayed out in the living room alone and we'd wake up to find her in the bed and no recollection of her getting in. Jordan's breeder was asking me the other day if we were ready to take on a third dog yet, I joked back that we didn't have a big enough bed for another dog!
Everyone has their own beliefs on these types of topics and some people are completely against dogs in their beds and/or on their furniture. For me, I love being able to snuggle up to my dog in our bed when we want to but they also know, when we tell them off they need to get down. I think consistency is the most important key and when you give a command, no matter what it is, make sure you follow through.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
In general, I don't buy into the whole "doing xxxx will make your dog think he/she is your master". I don't believe you have to show "dominance" at every turn. If you are fair, and consistent, you will be fine. I've said in other posts, but if you haven't seen, I do kind of my own variety of nilif. Every priveledge is earned, from having a run of the house, to being trusted off leash, to open access to toys, and being allowed on the furniture. Once these priveledges are earned, I let them be, so long as good behavior is kept. What we did with the bed and furniture, at first, it was a big no-no. After a while, it became a reward for good behavior, by invite only. After more good behavior, allowed whenever. Our girl now has free run of the house when we're home, always, and when we go to work we use a baby gate in one of the "spare" bedrooms, and I say "spare" loosely, because it's pretty much Dakota's bedroom lol

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can i put her crate in my bed room ? and she sleep in her crate next to my bed ? Because for now she is sleeping in another room with her crate.

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
Can i put her crate in my bed room ? and she sleep in her crate next to my bed ? Because for now she is sleeping in another room with her crate.
I think a lot of people do that, and it helps. Your doberman wants to be close to you, and if you're going to crate, in the same room can be enough.

We've let Elka in bed since she was reliably house trained. She has a "move" command for if she's crowding or laying somewhere uncomfortable, so that she'll either shift, or get up and wait to be directed. She also has "off", which is useful in so many ways. When it's 6 degrees in the winter, it's nice having that Doberman heating pad!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
My guys sleep in my bed when I want them to. Joe wants up if the girls aren't there but normally he prefers his crate (I don't lock him in). Taylor and Charley Girl always slept with me but Charley started taking her half in the middle so I now have them back in their crates which is fine with them. About 5 or 6 a.m., I invite them up and they all three jump in my bed. I think you should do what YOU want to do and what YOU are comfortable with. If you love cuddling with Roxy, go for it.

In an ideal world I think consistency is perfect for Dobermans. I'm not the best at self control nor consistency for myself otherwise I could stay on a diet and exercise religously. So far my dogs are pretty good. They pretty much do what I ask. (Except maybe Taylor baby and she and I are a work in progress.) I do think it is good that a Doberman learns they can sleep where told to sleep and eat where and when they are told. That way if a schedule is off they aren't stressing as much. I think stress is very bad for a Dobe's health and attitude.) Didn't mean to get so wordy.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Both of my Dobes are allowed in our bed, and on some furniture in the house. Usually, when we need to them to get off the bed, we simply say "Off" and point to the floor and they hop right off.

My girl usually sleeps in her own bed at night but our boy has made himself right at home on our bed. There have been a few instances where I sort of "pushed" his behind to get him to move, and with *protesting*, he would move. At that point, I immediately told him "OFF" in a firm voice and he lost his bed privileges for a few nights. 99.9% of the time, he's good about moving when we need him to.

He knows where his bread is buttered. :)

And we've trained both of them to stay off of our leather furniture in the main living room, but they have free reign of the other furniture in our house. Never had any issues.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I would say it depends on how old your puppy is and if she is crate trained yet or does she roam free at night. I would definately move the crate into my room. If she is old enough that she doesnt cry in her crate then I dont see any problems. But do realize that the first night afterwards may be a hard one. She may do some whining and you will need to be strong b/c if you give in each night will get worse and worse with the whining. If she roams free you may need to go to bed a little early for training purposes.

Kyrah sleeps in her crate next to the bed with the door open. She has had so many different sleeping places since she came home. She sleeps pretty much where I tell her to go to bed. But it normally includes me being somewhere close. She gets to sleep in the bed with me if hubby is gone. She never sneaks into the bed with us. But when we went on vacation and my oldest daughter came to dog sit and slept in our bed. She kept trying to sneak in the bed and daughter told her no everytime. Then Kyrah decided to wait till she was sleeping and snuck in the bed. She did it our first night back from vacation and was quickly told "off!" She hasnt done it again.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would say it depends on how old your puppy is and if she is crate trained yet or does she roam free at night. I would definately move the crate into my room. If she is old enough that she doesnt cry in her crate then I dont see any problems. But do realize that the first night afterwards may be a hard one. She may do some whining and you will need to be strong b/c if you give in each night will get worse and worse with the whining. If she roams free you may need to go to bed a little early for training purposes.

Kyrah sleeps in her crate next to the bed with the door open. She has had so many different sleeping places since she came home. She sleeps pretty much where I tell her to go to bed. But it normally includes me being somewhere close. She gets to sleep in the bed with me if hubby is gone. She never sneaks into the bed with us. But when we went on vacation and my oldest daughter came to dog sit and slept in our bed. She kept trying to sneak in the bed and daughter told her no everytime. Then Kyrah decided to wait till she was sleeping and snuck in the bed. She did it our first night back from vacation and was quickly told "off!" She hasnt done it again.
She is doing perfect at night in her crate she is not crying anymore at the begening she was crying alot alot alot. I had to sleep next to her for 1 week to show her that crate it fun and secure and now she is realy good.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Its your actions, your consistency, your communication of desired expectations, love & respect shown, and fairness with the dog...that determines YOU to be the "Master".

Our dog is Daddy's girl while she loves and adores my son and wife to.
When our Amy was little, she started in my sons bed and waited till he fell asleep.
Then jump off his bed (usually 30 minutes later), trott down the hallway and up onto the parents bed.
And I couldn't fall asleep, till our dobe, ended up on our bed with her dad...lol.

My wife goes to bed before me. Every night she kisses our Amy goodnight plus gives her a belly rub (on the leather couch), while the dog then waits till I get off the computer, at night.
Lately, my wife asked Amy if she wants to go to bed with her Moma (a few nights), and it is so funny...Amy then puts her head between her front paws and pretends she is now sleeping.

When I crawl into bed, like clock work, Amy will stand in the center of the bed, while I get covered up...so she is not flattening the bed sheets.
Then she plops down between us, and 99% of the time her head will rest on my ankles or knees...at first.
Dobe using me as a human pillow for a few minutes, is so neat...and that she ends up in the exact same position, every time.
So for the next 5 minutes, I give her pats with my hand and little love picks, with my fingers.
Its so cute to hear her sigh and I also repeat my version of the sigh...before long she is in a deep sleep and rarely moves much / unless she gets chilled and wants under the blankets.
She tells us if she wants covered up, if she stands up and paws the bottom of my pillow.
Her desire to get all the comforts of home, is one of my ways of thanking her for being a good girl...she might be spoiled, but still knows Dad is her leader.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts