Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know any info on a virus called Lepto? Kohl was diagnosed with Kidney failure (he is only three) but it might also be Lepto. Our vet said that it was brought to my city by eight dogs from the Katrina rescue. It is cureable (thank goodness) but I am not sure what it is and the web isn't really helping. Our vet said that she will have some info for us on our next viset but I can't wait that long.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Oreokitty said:
Does anyone know any info on a virus called Lepto? Kohl was diagnosed with Kidney failure (he is only three) but it might also be Lepto. Our vet said that it was brought to my city by eight dogs from the Katrina rescue. It is cureable (thank goodness) but I am not sure what it is and the web isn't really helping. Our vet said that she will have some info for us on our next viset but I can't wait that long.
I found this link on the web: http://www.labbies.com/lepto.htm hope it helps.

This also looks like another good link: http://www.berner.org/pages/orthopedics/leptospirosis_2.php

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Also, If you Google: canine leptospirosis, it looks like you get some information there.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
lepto is not a virus, its a bacterial infection, often spread in water. it can cause renal failure (i am currently treating a dog that we suspect we pulled through acute renal failure due to L. ictero) - what happened that your vet suspects this?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kohl was diagnosed with Kidney failure our vet thought that Lepto was the cause. If it is then he can be some what cured. He is on pills for it right now because we didn't want to wait for the results to come back which would have taken three weeks. I am so hoping this is the problem and not kidney failure. What symptoms did your dogs have?

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
it's not my dog, its a patient - this dog went into acute renal failure - vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, not eating. it shouldnt take you three weeks to get lepto titers back, antech gets them to us in under a week.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Hey Kim

doberkim said:
it's not my dog, its a patient - this dog went into acute renal failure - vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, not eating. it shouldnt take you three weeks to get lepto titers back, antech gets them to us in under a week.
OreoKitty lives in Canada. Maybe there is a difference with the labs in Canada or something?

OreoKitty, maybe you could tell a little about Kohls history?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We got Kohl when he was six months old. He has always LOVED water. I mean he would drink two (four cup) bowls in less than five mins. This is our first dog so we thought that he was just thirsty. Till the peeing in the house started and we couldn't break him of it. He just didn't seem to be able to hold it as long as other dogs. Now skipping to January 2007.. Kohl still loved water and was always taking really LONG pees right after. His pee was yellowy but clearish. We weren't concerned about this. Then we started to notice that he was loosing weight. We brought him to the vet and she said that he has only lost about a pound and not to be concerned. Then he started throwing up in the mornings. We were told by another Dob owner that his dogs do this often that it was because the acid in their tummies are too strong when they don't eat all night. Okay made a little sence.. We noticed that again Kohl was loosing more weight so we brought him back to the vet and this was in May. He had lost about 7 lbs since January. We really didn't notice because we are with him everyday and we know he eats all of his am and pm feedings. Our vet put him on antibiotics because at the daycare there was a flu like bug going around. Well didn't work. That weekend we went to my brothers house and he recommened taking Kohl to his vet. His vet is the one who told us that Kohl is having kidney failure. We of course took Kohl to our own vet for a second opinion. She said that it might be Lepto.. We got the results back and it isn't Lepto. We are getting it done again just to be sure. Anything is better than kidney failure.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We had it confirmed the second time that it is not Lepto..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts