Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4,856 Posts
leptospirosis is not a virus, its a bacterial disease.

if you want to read up on it, perhaps you can check with the CDC?

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/leptospirosis_g.htm

no, i have not vaccinated my dogs for it, though it is something I have considered. Personally, I would only consider it for dogs truly at high risk for contracting the disease.

· Registered
4,856 Posts
doberlover, you may want t look into the effects of overvaccinating, and research kennels that accept titers. there is no reason to vaccinate every year, and many vaccines are now approved for three year status, minimally. especially having an older dobe or two - there is no reason they need vaccines every year! 1

· Registered
4,856 Posts
yup, thats the problem. we think we know what to do when the titers are high, but we DONT know how to interpret low titers really - are they low because there really isnt much of an immune response or just because there hasnt been a recent challenge.

its something ive been thinking over for awhile - i personally havent vaccinated in over 2 years, and i havent titered either. i am considering titering, but im not sure i will vaccinate if they are low for my own dog because hes NOT healthy.

a healthy animal, i think using the titers is better than vaccinating every year, and its all we have at this time!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.