Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lena developed diarrhea beginning Sunday afternoon. We figured her belly was upset from all the liver she had eaten and the excitement of being shown over the past three days by my daughter. To top it off, Monday morning she got into my son’s left over Halloween candy. (Leave it to a 14 year-old to have a large bag of candy hidden in his room. Now mind you, he wasn’t eating the candy, just saving it.) So in addition to everything else, by Tuesday afternoon, Lena was passing candy wrappers.

Last night was miserable. Lena got me up every hour or so to go outside. (I wonder if my neighbors noticed me in my boxers following Lena around the yard with a flashlight.) I found blood in her stools and towards morning she had a couple of bouts of vomiting. My wife became convinced Lena was obstructed and I ran to the vet’s first thing this morning. At the vet’s, she threw-up some more and lost control of her bowels multiple times.

I spoke to the vet around lunch time today and will be picking Lena up soon. The x-rays were clear, only showing air in her colon. The vet had put her on SC fluids (rather then IV due to her VWD status), metronidazole, and metoclopropamide. I’ll have to ask what tests were run. The plan is to keep her on the metronidazole for 10 days and give her a dose of Pepcid tonight and again in the morning.

I’m optimistic that the worst is behind us! Any thoughts are welcome.

Phil

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Hope Lena is better soon. Did they suggest any diet to start her off on, such as I/D or boiled hamberger and rice. After vomitting and diarhea episodes my vet has suggested the bland diet to start off and gradually back to their old food.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Poor girl - Hope she feels better. That dosen't sound like much fun. Please let us know what the test show.

PS - I too have carried a flashlight at night checking poop.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Poor little darling, I hope the worst is behind you now. I have to agree with Dobes4us about the bland diet for a few days......if she feels like eating much at all that is.

Get well soon Lena, and keep us posted.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Good luck with everything. I have had a few scares with Princi as well, I know how you feel. My prayers are with you.

Naveen

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Medi Cal - Gastro Formula is excellent for upset tummies. It is a very bland diet yet ******* really liked it when she had diarrhea. It comes in both canned and kibble. Also, I have used pedalite in her water to replace lost minerals. Probably will be fine in a few days once all those candies are out of her system. Hope she feels better. :)

·
Registered
821 Posts
Get well soon Lena. You also might want to get some Fast Track to keep on hand. It works wonders for the runs. It puts the good bacteria back into their GI track. Here is the web site with the best deal:www.mooreagrisales.com
I give it to mine 2 x a week to keep things running great!

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Wishing her the best. Sending lots of hugs and licks to her.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts