Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any feedback, positive or negative, on LeGard Doberman's in Alabama. If you're not comfortable commenting on an open forum please PM me. Thanks..

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
They seem honest in their views about health which i like, but i have converted their prices to my currency, and they seem very expensive, for that kind of money i would want top dog as a certainty, which is never possible.

Reactions: marie

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I didn't look too closely at the dogs or guarantees - I did notice the page on ears and care and found it to be pretty informative - I liked the link to the vet page showing the different crop lengths and such. I do have to admit though I was completely turned off by "we take visa and master card" - Makes me wonder if they'll sell their dogs to just anyone who has a high enough spending limit on their plastic....

·
Super Moderator
15,665 Posts
I'm sure this has been said many times: reputable breeders are not looking to profit from their breeding programs. If you think this breeder might be looking for a profit it is adviseable to stay away and not support him.

·
Banned
675 Posts
Taking "all lmajor credit cards" is one definite red flag for a volume breeder. LeGard is a volume breeder, of the type of Kimbertal or HOH. Their website is set up, like Hoytt's, to seem informative and fool people.

They have had one or two champions, but mostly they just breed. They've now gotten on the "Euro" bandwagon, and are importing dogs from there. If you look closely you'll see that they import the dogs already titled. They don't seem to really *do* much of anything with the dogs except breed them.

Then they inflate their prices based on the titles the parents came with, and call the puppies "working dogs".

I don't know if they still do it, but they used to offer "models" of puppies. You could buy the "stripped down" puppy with nothing added, the economy model. Or for more money, you could have them train your puppy for you to various levels, each level costing more money. This is exactly what HOH does.

I think think they have the same kind of "guarantee" too, where if something is wrong with the puppy you get temperament or healthwise, they'll take it back but only if its ears are standing and if it hasn't been spayed or neutered.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I Like Hoytt maybe they do Breed to much IDK for sure. But I like there Dogs and everything they offer. I dont believe its about Money to them. There not byb's I dont see whats wrong with offering different levels of Training before the Dog goes home ofcourse it would cost more. Hoytt just trys to get the correct Dog for the Person. I think a real volume Breeder is Amaris. You could say oh boy did they so fool You! I completly understand where your coming from. I just dont see it that way.

·
Banned
675 Posts
I think if you check registrations Hoytt probably breeds more than Amaris. There' s nothing wrong with training dogs, what's wrong IMO is calling dogs models as if they were cars, IOW inanimate objects.

They produce too many dogs, too many to raise and socialize properly, their dogs live in kennels, even the puppies don't live in Barrie Hoytt's house. He is in it for the money because he makes his living off the dogs. There are already too many Dobermans in this country, more than there are good homes to take them. The rescues are always full of them, and turning dogs away.

He doesn't do the recommended health testing, he doesn't do temperament evaluations, until recently he didn't compete with his dogs in either obedience or conformation because he said he didn't need to do, he had already created the perfect dog. Now he has hired trainers to take some of his young dogs to trials and get CDs on them. He calls these dogs Grand Victors or something and charges more for them as if a CD was a big deal and hard to get.

He doesn't screen the homes he sells dogs to, he'll sell them to anyone, and doesen't know or care what happens to t hem after that. Nothing he could "provide" could make up for that treatment of the dogs.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Rescues are full of HOH dogs. Barrie won't take them back and could care less about them
Someone on another forum just recently didn't believe HOH was bad. He did some leg work and contacted several rescues only to find out indeed rescues are very familiar with HOH and not in a good way.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have heard that too. I had a friend that bought a male dobe from them and he turned on them and others. I know she would never hurt her animals they are like her children. She tried to talk to them to see if she could do something that might help and he never called back ignored all phone calls and I have heard of someone else that had problems too.

CoAl-s-Mom said:
Rescues are full of HOH dogs. Barrie won't take them back and could care less about them
Someone on another forum just recently didn't believe HOH was bad. He did some leg work and contacted several rescues only to find out indeed rescues are very familiar with HOH and not in a good way.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks for filling me in. I'm making faux-pas everywhere it seems :emo11: I don't know the background on everyone. You all are invited over to the Saddlebred forums - you'll be equally as lost as I've been here!!!

·
Banned
675 Posts
I saw some posts from you on a saddlebred forum. And a picture of one of your girls. I was looking for updates about the horses who were attacked a year ago.

I used to watch Dr. Gene Scott's tapes of his horses being shown, he used to have some to play every week, then he went off the air here and I lost track of all the horses.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Thats ok I some times I feel that way too

What forum is that?

TwoDobieGirls said:
Thanks for filling me in. I'm making faux-pas everywhere it seems :emo11: I don't know the background on everyone. You all are invited over to the Saddlebred forums - you'll be equally as lost as I've been here!!!

·
Registered
606 Posts
I dont really like their dogs.

I like HOH dog better, but not the breeder

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was just wondering if someone could fill me in on if you think Aramis is good or bad or maybe falls in the middle.
I am a newer dobie owner and I thought that I had done my homework... Maybe I did not do enough!
I purchased my Mojo from Aramis and was convinced till I read this it was the best monies I had ever spent. Am I in for some surprises down the road I am not aware of ???
Thanks
Amy

1 - 20 of 81 Posts