Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can a dog be 'handed' like a human?

for example, Quincy is clearly a left spin dog. He spins to his left to ready for poo, turns out left after peeing or pooing, goes left after sniffing.... he's a left-turn dog.

any right turners out there?

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Dreizehn is a right turner! Too poo, to lay down, and when I tell him to spin he always goes to the right (he does know how to spin to the left but it always takes a lot of persuasion from me).

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
Fiona spins both ways. Some times she'll spin one direction and then stop and start turning in the other.

Tali most often turns left that I've noticed.

·
Registered
537 Posts
My adult male lab is a right turner...and sometimes, freakin hilarious, he'll be doing his little nesting thing before laying down...sometimes he spins so many times, I believe he forgot what it was he was about to do, and ends up walking away after giving the situation a puzzled look for a moment.

Our little girl and the dobe aren't either I think. He will just be going in a straight line and do his barely hunched over squat to drop a duece. Little girl is the same way.

The adult male lab will walk when he is pooing, which is pretty funny.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
When I teach dogs target with a paw, they always seem to use their right paw... Not sure about poops though, Lottie is a stationary pooper...

This thread reminded me of Zoolander.
"I can't turn left! I'm not an ambiturner!"
^ reminds me of me trying to do left turns for obedience LOL

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,326 Posts
When I teach dogs target with a paw, they always seem to use their right paw...
I used to trick folks into thinking my dog knew his left from his right (Give me your LEFT paw; give me your RIGHT paw). What they didn't know was that he keyed off the position of my hand and always reached ACROSS his body to put his paw in my hand. I just moved my hand slightly from side to side to get the correct paw. A fun parlor trick.

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I used to trick folks into thinking my dog knew his left from his right (Give me your LEFT paw; give me your RIGHT paw). What they didn't know was that he keyed off the position of my hand and always reached ACROSS his body to put his paw in my hand. I just moved my hand slightly from side to side to get the correct paw. A fun parlor trick.

Quincy has a neat parlor trick too... I say paw-paw, then he indeed gives the paw in whatever hand I have out and simultaneously gives a toot.

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
When Indy went to flyball practice, they tested him by placing a ball and seeing which way he turned and he's a lefty.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts