Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Viktor is 3 months old, and we have been posting pretty successfully so far. But, the posts tended to pop out after 2-3 days and then his ears were going too close together at the top, so we started using a bumper or the middle rod between them. The first time we tried this, it helped keep the posts from popping out, but he had the middle bumper thing bent really quick (we used half of a piece of coil) This last time, to try and prevent that, we used a whole piece of coil between his ears for the bumper and the posts stayed in the whole time. However, we are not sure what a pocket is, but the bottom of his left ear is larger looking at the bottm and it lays completely over at the base of the ear. I hope I can load the pic for you to see. Please give us some suggestions. I really want his ears to be pretty. They were show cut, so they are really long.

Attachments

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
If the issue is just the ear not standing my suggestion is... post them more.
My boy's ears took until 7 months to stand and a long show cut can take even longer. I would suggest to post nonstop (changing the posts every 3-5 days) until he is done teething at about 6 months and don't worry about whether they're standing or not until then. Between postings let them air out for about 10ish minutes. They don't need to be out of posts for more time than that (unless, for some reason, he gets an ear infection, then they shouldn't be posted).

If you're having issues posting you can try contacting a breeder in your area, or a vet. There is a really good posting guide on the forums somewhere...
http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/47747-ear-posting-directions-photo-tutorial-my-method.html
http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-c...ll-help-new-owners-ears-please-post-here.html

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I used a bridge for a short time but it was simply a piece of tape that kept his ears in the right place (they couldn't go down, they were forced to stand straight up that way). When his ears started touching at the tips I took the bridge off.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
What city in Tx are you in?

Quite frankly, I don't think at 3 months that a whole lot of people have had standing ears with a long show crop. Surely you haven't been posting but for a couple of weeks. At this early stage, it would not be unusual for one ear to stand and the other to flop.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Don't give up and don't stress :) My dobe is 10 months and I just now stopped posting. He is still using the breath rite strips too since his tips can get weak. Check out the tutorial that was posted and follow that. If they were touching at the tips that sounds like pockets. Using the backer rod/bumper method will correct it. Hang in there! He's got a beautiful long crop so be patient ;)

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Just keep posting. I would clean them and leave them down for 20 to 30 minutes as they need to be completely dry before reposting. There is usually one ear that is weaker than the other for some reason. You have to really pull those ears up, up, up and tape while you still have the ear pulled taut. If you allow slack, then the ears will tip inwards forming pockets where ears teepee at the top with tips touching. Pockets are sort of a creases at the base of the ear where the ear folds inward from the top of the skull to the inside of the ear. This crease causes the ears to tilt inwards. Its kind of like a dart in sewing where the excess material is inside the garment, but the dart, pocket, is not sewed together. Hope you had home ec.:) The bumpers will help prevent or correct them, too.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Amy still had 1 lazy ear at 7 months old...another month of re-posting...made it perfect.
- loosing their baby teeth, makes ear standing, more of a problem

A 3 month old pup, can't be expected to have finished ears...with a show crop.
- btw...Viktor is handsome....keep the photos coming, of your boy

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Ok, you're about an hour and a half from me. If you want to meet half way I wouldn't mind taking a look and helping if needed. I think we have a DT member in Clear Lake...need to check on that.

Who did you get him from?

Reactions: Beaumont67
1 - 12 of 12 Posts