Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading a previous thread about not wanting to leave your doberman alone for more then 8 hours. The thing is I have too. No way around it. And I cannot get a walker or do daycare etc. I live out in the country on alot of land. What I plan on doing is during nice weather have him on a chain that's on a wire so he can roam around a pretty sizable area and obviously have access to plenty of water and a nice sized doghouse. This would be 7:30 to 4 mon though fri. I can't imagine this causing any problems. Thoughts? Would a caged fenced enclosure be better for any reason?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Age of the dog will slightly help determine a course of action. Keeping your dog indoors in a crate is always the safest plan. Safest meaning your dogs safety, and your belongings. Many will say no, but I feel that a dog run with shelter could be a viable alternative. This is assuming you can guarantee your dog cannot escape. No one, or nothing will try to steal your dog. The temperature is perfect. No dangerous insects, plants, etc... So once again I will say crate him indoors. They grow to like their crate after time!

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
What happens if an animal (wildlife or dog) comes onto your property?
What happens if the weather turns nasty?
How is s/he to receive mental stimulation all day, alone?

As I mentioned on another thread, I wouldn't own a doberman if they had to alone for 8 hours/day. I just wouldn't own a dog, period.

a Doberman needs to live with his family INSIDE the home—interacting and living next to and with all the family members. He is NOT AN OUTSIDE DOG—under ANY circumstances! He must be a family companion and protector in the home WITH the family. Did I say INSIDE the home with the family? Just wanting to make the point that the Doberman is not for outside living.
Source: Doberman Pinscher Club of America: Basic Care

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
My thoughts? Why do you have a Doberman??
My thoughts, why have a dog??

OP, I would wait until your lifestyle changes a bit, no dog should be left outside, or in a home for 8 or more hours with absolutely no potty or check in break.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I would be incredibly nervous about your proposed setup. Too much can happen when you aren't around. In addition to risks other people have mentioned, what if . . .

• the dog becomes tangled in the chain?
• wildlife, other dogs or people show up?
• the dog is stolen?
• the dog tips his water bowl and has nothing to drink?
• the dog chews through the wire?**

** This can happen. Friends who lived in the country ended up adopting a dog (complete with ruined teeth) who lived a concession over and was tied out all day on a heavy wire. He chewed through the wire several times and showed up at their place. The first couple of times, they (reluctantly) returned him. The next time, they suggested to the owners that they give him a new home -- and the owners agreed.

Is it not possible to at least keep the dog inside? Perhaps in an area that allows him some freedom but is blocked off from the rest of the house? If not, I would reconsider the plan to get a Doberman -- or any dog.

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
My thoughts? Why do you have a Doberman??
I'm inclined to agree.

I just had this discussion with my girlfriend, she was given a shift during the day at the restaurant she works at....which meant out of the cage in the morning for 2 hours, just to be back in for another 5 hours. (I work 830am to 430pm with zero flexibility) She was supposed to tell her employer that she cannot do early shifts during the day until Lexi is capable of being trusted alone and out of her cage but they still gave her the shift. Usually she is in the cage during the day for 3 hours until I get home to watch her.

Needless to say, I flipped out and had to leave work halfway through the day.

I'm not interested in my dog being a prisoner. When she gets older I see no issue with the dog being alone for 8 hours as long as it's not caged up and the exercise is taken care of afterwards. Just be prepared that the dog may get bored and destroy something or eliminate on your floor. :p

personally I'd say 4-5 hours alone max.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
that was my idea to have him outside. I might be able to check on him during my lunch break. Ive thought of a wild animal so I may change to having him inside and leave a radio on and have plenty of toys and come home on my lunch and play and take him out to goto bathroom then leave again. And I absolutely will have this dog as a member of our family.

I would never have him tied up outside if I was there. Was just an idea for when Im at work.

I wasn't quite sure which was better for the dog. or rather which he would enjoy more. Inside or outside.

Thanks for the info. I will be setting up a area inside the house and come home on my lunch beaks to check on him and give him a chance to go the bathroom.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
While I'm not in favor of tying a dog up, most people I know have to leave their dogs to work. Until I win the lottery, I'm stuck working myself. It's never been an issue for my dogs. Again, I would NOT leave a dog tied up outside but I have no issues with people having lives and working, etc. I do spend a lot of time WITH my dogs, get up early/stay up later when I have young puppies too.

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
If you already have the dog (and he's house trained) I'd be inclined to make a dog safe room in my house with a dog bed (or sturdy, thick crate pad if he chews), a bowl of water, and some safe toys for 8 hour days. That way he's not a sitting duck outside tied up all day. He needs to be out of the weather and I'd also worry about him tangling the line and potentially hanging himself. Or as mentioned before he could be attacked by another animal or stolen...there are just so many scary possibilities.

If you don't have the dog yet I would encourage you to reconsider having any dog at this time. It sounds like you don't have ideal circumstances to own a dog right now. Dogs are companion animals and they don't do well spending so much time alone. A lot of people force those kinds of living situations on dogs but it doesn't mean it's good for the dogs. Most people are just ignorant dog owners and think it's fine if they think about it at all, but it's really not good for the dogs.

ETA...Just read your last post. I would highly recommend you come home at lunch to let him out if that's an option. That's what I do each day. That way the dogs can relieve themselves and stretch their legs, play some, and then they sleep the afternoon away until I get home after work. It's doable and most adults can manage okay for 8 hours alone if they're given proper comforts and access to some water.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I'm not going to wait till I retire to own a dog.

I have a unfinished basement that i will be converting into a dog safe area to keep him in instead of being outside. I have reconsidered and will be going home on my lunchbreak. I understand some of you wishing I reconsider but Ive reconsidered for 2 years. My day job isn't changing anytime soon and I know I can provide a loving family for my doberman.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Yes, I agree.

OP- If daycare or a dog walker is not feasible, having a lunch date with your dog is a good alternative.

I would highly recommend you come home at lunch to let him out if that's an option. That's what I do each day. That way the dogs can relieve themselves and stretch their legs, play some, and then they sleep the afternoon away until I get home after work. It's doable and most adults can manage okay for 8 hours alone if they're given proper comforts and access to some water.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have to chime in on working and owning dogs; we both work and we own 3 dogs. We have the dobe, a westie and an old labrador. I work a steady 8 hour day Monday thru Friday while the significant other works swing shift; so every 3 weeks we're both on days although not always on the same days if that makes sense.

Our dogs are well taken care of and get plenty of love, attention and exercise daily.

It wasn't an issue with the breeder either as she knew our situation before rehoming her Dobe with us:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
I agree completely with Hooligan. Leaving ANY type of dog alone, outside for any amount of time is not a good idea. Especially for 8 hours and especially a Dobe.

The things I can think of going wrong can include the dog getting himself tangled up and not being able to get free. My friend once left her dog tied outside and he managed to hang himself by accident. You might think it's not possible but it can easily happen.

Someone could decide to steal him. This one is probably more common than you think too, and not just limited to purebreds, but they're especially at risk. Some dumbass sees a nice looking dog and no one watching him, consider that dog gone. There is an endless amount of idiots out there willing to do whatever they can to make a few dollars.

An animal could attack him. Not sure of your area, but if you're at all rural wolves, coyotes, bears, and (of course) other stray dogs could wander in your yard and attack. Since your dog would be tied up, he really would not be in the best position to defend himself and that fight could leave him seriously injured or worse.

The elements. Dobes are not outside dogs - not the way other breeds are, that love to live outdoors 24/7. Your dog needs access to warmth and shelter from any rain/wind/whatever.

8 hours is too long to leave him outdoors. Especially alone, with no one to check up on him. I can't tell you that you're not fit to own a dog, just that this would be an incredibly bad idea. I would never get a dog knowing that it would have to be alone for that amount of time (whether indoors or out) since it is simply not fair to the dog. If it's a new job (previously unforeseen situation) then I would do whatever it took to make sure that dog was being taken care of during those hours. Leaving him at doggy daycare, finding someone to come by to let him out a couple times, whatever.

I would strongly suggest reconsidering owning a dog at all. Like I said, I'm not saying you shouldn't own one, or are a bad owner or anything, just that not everyone has a lifestyle cut out for dogs. Think about it long and hard, and if you can't find a way to make sure the dog is happy and safe while you are at work, then you should ask yourself if you're really at the best point in your life to have one. Just my opinion.

Edit -- Just read your follow-up post and that sounds like a much better idea than leaving him outside. Sorry for ranting. ;)

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have to leave my dog all day 4 days/wk 6am to 3pm....he is loose in the house. When he was a pup I'd bring him to work & have him in my car in a crate & go out a lot to walk him. Then I was able to have a neighbor come let him out a few times.(he'd be confined to 1 room) Now he is fine all day in the house. (he's 3/ 1/2)
I would not leave him outside. Even though it is secure, around here it'd usually be too cold for one thing. He is fine dozing in the house. When I get home its a big party-off we go for a nice run in the woods or playtime out side-lots of quality time.
I have a 30 min commute..so there would be no time for me to go home as some suggest.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
I'm at a loss here.. Most of you who know me will agree I'm fairly benign and don't get riled very often. If I do, I just stop reading the post and go on to something else. But this time, I feel I should speak up ( hormonal???)
I was raised with dogs.. have always thought a house is not a home without one. But I've had to work a good portion of my life, so I opted not to have a pet. I just thought it was unfair to have a dog cooped up for hours at a time. Dogs are pack animals.. We are their pack. They need us more than we need them. Personally I think it's unfair and selfish to have a dog and a Doberman in particular if you're not there for him. I realize most people have to work. I do too.. I work from home. If I didn't I simply would not have an animal. Some people think having two will keep each other company. I suppose that's an option, but in my opinion, it's just a way to neglect two. Okay.. enough of this rant, as I'm sure it will incur the rath of so many who insist that a walk in the morning a lunch visit, then a walk in the evening is enough for a high energy, needy breed like a Doberman. Not meaning to offend anyone. That's why they call it a Forum..

·
Registered
884 Posts
I'm not going to wait till I retire to own a dog.

I have a unfinished basement that i will be converting into a dog safe area to keep him in instead of being outside. I have reconsidered and will be going home on my lunchbreak. I understand some of you wishing I reconsider but Ive reconsidered for 2 years. My day job isn't changing anytime soon and I know I can provide a loving family for my doberman.
If your dog is going to be crated or kenneled in the basement, you might want to give him access to the stairs or higher ground in the basement. I once read a tragic story of people who had their dogs crated in the basement and the basement flooded while they were gone (and couldn't get home in time to save the dogs). Even if you live in a no-flood area, the sump pump could fail or your electricity could go out.

·
Registered
213 Posts
So if someone has to work 8 hours a day they should not own a dog, but more specifically a doberman? I'm not ever going to be in agreement with that... Keep in mind my dog is/was never left that long except for extreme circumstances. But to say that someone can't go to work with their trustworthy dog or doberman loose in the house or crated for 8 hours baffles me.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts