Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
pretty straight forward, how do i get azura to stop pulling when shes on her leash. She did have a problem with biting them and eventually biting all the way through them but I fixed that problem with a chain leash which she knows not to chew on. But I still have the pulling problem.

·
Got mutt?
13,848 Posts
How old is she? If she's a young pup, she could just be getting her adult teeth. If she's and adult, she should see a vet.

As for her pulling, it's as easy (and as hard) as stopping forward motion any time she pulls. Once she gives you slack in the leash, start walking again. Another method is to turn and walk the other direction when she pulls. You can also combine the stopping forward motion with turning around and going the other way. Keep repeating these until either she quits pulling, you go insane, or both. Seriously, though, evenetually, she should get the idea.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
How old is she? If she's a young pup, she could just be getting her adult teeth. If she's and adult, she should see a vet.

As for her pulling, it's as easy (and as hard) as stopping forward motion any time she pulls. Once she gives you slack in the leash, start walking again. Another method is to turn and walk the other direction when she pulls. You can also combine the stopping forward motion with turning around and going the other way. Keep repeating these until either she quits pulling, you go insane, or both. Seriously, though, evenetually, she should get the idea.
^ this exactly, well said.

I used the every time my pup put tension on the leash I stopped moving forward method. Once he backed up or came back to me I moved forward. It takes a while but it is so with it because in the end you are not relying on any tools like a halti or a harness.

Reactions: Nubis'sDad

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
her tooth fell out about 5 minutes after I posted this but I have no clue where it went. As for the other advice I shall try that as soon as she needs back out again.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
She prolly ate the tooth.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I was having the same problem with our 18 month old boy. I was walking him with a 6ft leash and just a standard leather collar. I have since changed to a chain choke collar that has para cord weaved through it to stop hair pulling. I use a quick pull correction every time he gets ahead of me, pulls on the leash, gets excited, gets unfocused... basically when he does anything I would expect him not to do. Since these changes, his walk has done a complete 180, now only minor corrections are needed. It is getting to be a pleasure walking him! (FINALLY!!) lol.

Maybe some from of correction collar is needed?

- Jon

·
Bad Wolf
960 Posts
What about an anti-pull harness?

Reactions: Nubis'sDad

·
dobie fanatic
149 Posts
Thats what I do when apollo starts to pull. Just stop to let them know thats not allowed and tell him to heel and make him walk beside me. He still a puppy and is starting to understand when I say heel I want him to walk right beside me.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Ive thought about getting a "choke chain" but im afraid shes going to start running and hurt her neck and it mess with her health.
I would suggest trying the methods that Rosemary stated in her post, it takes time it is not and instant change. But in the end it is worth it because if you think about it, what if you didn't have a chain with you or a harness? You would always deal with the pulling problem. If you use the method that was first suggest with the they pull you stop and wait until there is slack on the leash and or when they pull you go in the opposite direction. By doing it this way you are not using a tool and they will learn not to pull.

My dobe is almost 12 months and he has learned not to pull on the leash since he was 5 months old, he still puts tension on the leash here and there but all I have to do is stop and that reminds him to come back to my side or put more slack on the leash. I don't always have to worry about having a tool to keep him from pulling.

·
Alpha Male
43 Posts
My dog did the same thing. We used a pinch collar with a chain leash for a few weeks and he stopped pulling completely. I switched him back to a reg collar and he doesnt pull at all.

·
Sashagirl
119 Posts
To be honest I don't think dobers ever fully break the leash pulling habit. My girl is 3 and half and very well behaved. Sasha does better off leash to be honest, she is a true Velcro girl and never wants to be out of range from me( location dependent of course). Point being even a well trained dog gets excited about certaian things, and pulls from time to time. I have found the best way to train dogs on a leash is give them exercise before training so they get out all of the excitement/ nervouse worked up energy. After they are calmed down the. Proceed with techniques mentioned. I am not the expert, this is jut what worked for me. I always try to research and listen to all of the experience on this forum and attempt to come up with my own based on everyone's experiences. that's why I love this site because if you are dobe lover/ owner you will eventually have similar questions as someone else

·
Sashagirl
119 Posts
To be honest I don't think dobers ever fully break the leash pulling habit. My girl is 3 and half and very well behaved. Sasha does better off leash to be honest, she is a true Velcro girl and never wants to be out of range from me( location dependent of course). Point being even a well trained dog gets excited about certaian things, and pulls from time to time. I have found the best way to train dogs on a leash is give them exercise before training so they get out all of the excitement/ nervouse worked up energy. After they are calmed down the. Proceed with techniques mentioned. I am not the expert, this is jut what worked for me. I always try to research and listen to all of the experience on this forum and attempt to come up with my own based on everyone's experiences. that's why I love this site because if you are dobe lover/ owner you will eventually have similar questions as someone else
Sorry everyone, this was even difficult for me to read! Prime example why you shouldn't read and post on DT while sitting in traffic after a 15 hour day to. include from an I Phone...car pooling of course

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
I use 2 leashes - but would never use a chain link one, to avoid dog dental problems.
- leasure walks, nylon leash...allowing dog to chew &/or hold it, on last block home
- formal OB, nice leather leash...not allowed to chew it

If your dog is a puller, maybe start using a short 6 inch leash...for a little while, until more control walking comes.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I can't take credit for this but when my girl is running wild in the yard and pretends that I don't exist ..........I get her red leash she is trained with and she runs to me and we pretend we are in the show ring in the middle of the floor.........:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts