Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Little question about pulling on the lead...

We have to have Bruno on a lead when we take him to potty outside (he's 10 weeks old now).

I've been using treats to try teaching him to heel as we walk to the potty place and he's sometimes doing well, though I'm not expecting very much at all at the minute because of his age.

But when we're at the pee place, he likes to try to pull so he can get to the interesting smelling parts of the grass.

If I stand strong & let him pull but get nowhere, is he going to associate negative feelings with anything?

I don't want him to think pulling gets him anywhere, but likewise I don't want him to think anything negative at all about being on the lead!!!

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
A 10 week old puppy, hardly knows much more than their name, and a few short sit, stays...in the house.
Out side is full of 100x more distractions, and the nose is learning all about the smells of the world, just like the fur babies learn about their enviroment buy putting things in their mouth.
So the early pulling on the leash is so completely normal, just as common as puppies liking to bite & chew (which can be dealt with if on the humans hands or legs).

Maybe that is why, I let my first dobe (1977) pull me to the potty field area initially...when we lived in an apartment.
2nd pup came when we where home owners, with a jard fenced on 3 sides.
This one from 8 weeks old, always went outside with me always off-leash, and I controlled its location with my fun presence and excited & loving voice.
Amy pup, was like +12 weeks old before I put a leash on it, and that was just to drag it around the yard and investigate stuff...so it never got to dislike the leash.
Probably at 14 weeks, we did short leash walking, in a small park, and I lured it with my voice, while we practiced the "come" command.
The leash work was done in baby steps, on a temporary basis...as the puppy got older...and everything remained positive and fun.

Puppies arn't born, with leash and house manners from day1...and a 10 week old, will not want to do everything as Mom &/or Dad wants...little things, all improve on a learning curve.
Take it all in stride, mix things up - you and your puppy will find a balance.
Sometimes its 2 steps forward and 1 step back and sometimes its 3 steps forward.
Try and be as flexible, as you can....with a very young puppy.

Sorry I didn't totally address your pulling problem...its can be completely normal, at that age.
- I probably wouldn't care if a 10 week old dragged me around a little in the yard or just wanted to sit down, and smell the roses
I would do what seemed right, to get the dog to find its regular potty spot first / and worry about the pulling later.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I don't think I'd try too hard on the way to potty-after all he's got to go-I'd pull too. Perhaps work on it leaving the potty place. He's still just a baby and wants to explore.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
At that age I let Diesel explore. I wasn't too worried about pulling. Everything is still so new to them so I wouldn't force it. Diesel is 17 weeks and we've probably been working on loose leash walking for a little over 2 weeks but I still give him some time to explore. Remember that their still puppies and everything is still so new and exciting.

As far as pulling what we do is turn the other way if he starts pulling one way. That way he knows he doesn't lead the walk, I do. Also sometimes if he really fights me I just stop and wait till he comes back and then lots of praise when the leash is loose. He's really getting the hang of it. It's a process but Diesel has never associated anything bad with the leash. He's always been happy to just move onto something else :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts