Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dobe bruiser just turned 1yr old. he is a wonderful dog but there is a problem, he barks uncontrolably at other dogs and lunging at them while he is the leash or on another side of a fence. he looks like he is being aggressive but he isnt, all he wants to do is play. he does play a little ruff but everyone thinks he is an aggressie dog and give him/me dirty looks. he is fine once we actually get in the dog park ad starts playin, besides him wanting to hump every dog there, any suggetion on how to solve this problem?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Try a basic obedience class in a group setting. There is a dozen or so other dogs and people around in a controlled setting, and focuses pretty much on obedience while on lead.

·
Super Moderator
21,981 Posts
You need to work with a professional trainer. I would also recommend picking up a copy of Leslie McDevitt's book, "Control Unleashed." The techniques in there, especially the "Look at That" game, would be very useful for you.

I would personally stop taking him to dog parks. It sounds like the potential for things to turn ugly is very high. Humping other dogs is very rude dog behavior.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
You need to work with a professional trainer. I would also recommend picking up a copy of Leslie McDevitt's book, "Control Unleashed." The techniques in there, especially the "Look at That" game, would be very useful for you.

I would personally stop taking him to dog parks. It sounds like the potential for things to turn ugly is very high. Humping other dogs is very rude dog behavior.
I agree with this 100%. Right now you're setting him up to fail and it could turn ugly quickly.

Reactions: Herb2relax

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I also agree humping other dogs is going to end in a dog fight.

I am going to tell you tho that acting that way before entering the gate is something I had to work on with Tippy. Teaching some self control sounds like its in order. She was not allowed to enter the park if she acted that way. I have left her in the car while I took the other two in. I walked up to the gate turned walked back and then back to the gate until she was calm. I also now may go to the park and never go in the park. We may walk around the fenced area, then around the whole rest of the park and then get in the car and leave.

Go to the training area and read some threads there. Here is one about an exercise that is in the book "Control Unleashed." Is this the only form of exercise he is getting? He can burn some of that energy focusing his attention on you.

http://www.dobermantalk.com/general-training-obedience/62676-look-lat-look-away.html

·
Registered
463 Posts
my dobe bruiser just turned 1yr old. he is a wonderful dog but there is a problem, he barks uncontrolably at other dogs and lunging at them while he is the leash or on another side of a fence. he looks like he is being aggressive but he isnt, all he wants to do is play. he does play a little ruff but everyone thinks he is an aggressie dog and give him/me dirty looks. he is fine once we actually get in the dog park ad starts playin, besides him wanting to hump every dog there, any suggetion on how to solve this problem?
Well, have you taught him how to greet dogs properly while on a leash? It's something you need to train... He needs to know self control and that he won't get anywhere far by acting out like that... Going to meet a dog is a reward in my opinion, and I am in control of the situation not my dog. If she obeys her commands and is polite, she gets rewarded by playing and sniffing if the other owner is ok with it. My pup is 9 months old, so almost up the Bruisers age, and she use to do a lot of those things you are describing. Formal obedience has helped this 100%, as well as enforcing my leadership skills and confidence while walking her. He needs to learn it is not acceptable to act this way when he sees another dog, and must obey your command. Sometimes my pup does still get excited on walks, so when approaching another dog she seems interested in I will give a firm "leave it" command. If she leaves it she gets lots of verbal praise... If she blows the command off within the next few seconds, we go into a sit stay until she is ready to get up and continue. Above all, you need to seek out a good trainer to work with you in order to gain control.

Also I don't know if it is actually "leash aggression" you are referring too as you are saying he is not aggressive and is good with other dogs at the park... But A) I'm certainly not a trainer and B) I don't know you or your dog personally but he seems like just an excitable dog who doesn't know his place. Leash aggression however can develop very quickly if for instance in the situation where he starts barking on leash, you tense up, shorten his leash and hold it tightly putting ension on his neck. This sends a signal that you are stressed and that there is something for him to be alert of, i.e., the dog that is approaching.

These are just my experiences and advice I have personally received from my trainer, hope it helped.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am not a trainer or an expert, but I have had this issue with my girl. I took her to the park every day (that's another topic touched on below) and she was never aggressive off leash, loves to play. At about 1, she became aggressive on leash. I tried a lot of things and finally have it almost completely under control. Here are some things I've learned from the trainer (about my situation):
- It is called territorial aggression. When in a crate, car or on leash, she feels territorial and/or that she can't protect.
- I needed to assert my dominance and get back to the basics. Really getting her sits, stays, etc perfect while doing things like entering a door first, winning at tug, not letting her sleep with me (for now), etc.
- We worked a lot on the leash/walk itself. Make her heel perfectly on walks, etc. Teach her to always focus on me when I ask, etc. This is where a good trainer really will help.
- After all of this, once she is to a point where she can do ok around dogs on leash, we are now starting group classes.

Specifically related to the issue, my trainer asked that I stop going to the dog park. She told me that while at the dog park, because my dog still has some work to do, she is dominant and free to run all over. Every trainer I've ever met says to avoid the dog park. It was hard for me to stop, because my girl loves it so much and I had made a lot of friends going every day, but we did stop. Some day we may go back every once in a while. The park really can be a dangerous place, and when something breaks out, it is always going to be the dobie's fault because of perceptions.

:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
we are already in a class at petsmart but he does not pay attention in the class because he is focused on the other dogs barking at them and trying to play with them. ive tried running his energy out before we go to class and it still doesnt work and neither does treats, i cant ever get his attention when he sees another dog. he is not neutered yet and some people say that would help

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
we are already in a class at petsmart but he does not pay attention in the class because he is focused on the other dogs barking at them and trying to play with them. ive tried running his energy out before we go to class and it still doesnt work and neither does treats, i cant ever get his attention when he sees another dog. he is not neutered yet and some people say that would help
Not to be mean or anything but PetSmart is a place to go when you want basic basic OB. I think you would benefit greatly looking for a professional that has worked with working dogs, and problem dogs. IMO they are the ones that can really pick out minute behaviours, and modify their methods to suite your dog and his needs.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
I'd check out kennel clubs in your area. Perhaps find one that will provide one on one training sessions and then help you transition into group sessions. Training Resources

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea im in the process of finding a different trainer, more of a professional trainer in my area but i had a free class so i didnt want to pass it up

1 - 14 of 14 Posts