Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working with Mensa for the last three weeks trying to get her to walk on a leash. For the most part she refuses. Off-leash she will follow me anywhere I go. On-leash she gets stubborn. She sits down and won't move. Not at all. Here is what she looks like when she is on a leash:

I've tried bribing her with treats, but she's starting to wise up to that trick. I've tried taking the other dogs with us to show her a good example. The only thing that gets her to move is dropping the leash and walking away.

Today I think she may have had a breakthrough-moment. I had her on the long 20' (6m) leash so I could walk further away from her and still have a hold of the leash. Normally when I pull on the leash trying to get her to follow me, she just sits tight and screams. Today I decided not to listen to her complaints. When she refused to come along, I pulled her along, kicking and screaming, until she got up off her butt and walked with me. She tested me a few more times, but I didn't let her sit and remain seated when we were supposed to be walking. She got to the point where all she needed was a light tug on the leash to get her to come along.

I don't want to declare victory yet, I'll have to see how she does tomorrow, but she may have gotten it. I hope so. The other dogs go absolutely nuts when they see a leash.

Does anyone have any advice to help things along? Have you had experiences like this? What worked for you?

· Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's exactly what I've been doing, Brumwolf. Whenever I catch her doing something good, like walking on a leash or peeing outside, we jump up and down like she just cured cancer.

I don't ever leash her up at home or in the yard. I want her to see the leash as her ticket to adventure.

Saturday I was downtown trying to walk her. She absolutely refused to budge so I had to carry her. I got heckled by a couple ladies in a Prius. They drove up next to us and one of them yelled something to the effect of wanting to know who's walking whom.

She's 37 lbs (17kg) now so it won't be long before she's too big to carry.

· Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Today was the best day yet, We covered almost two miles in about 45 minutes. She didn't play stubborn once. She enjoyed the walk. I'm glad I got that picture yesterday because I might not see her do that again!

· Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Looking at that photo, it's hard to believe it's the same dog. Mensa loves going for walks now, and she quit fighting the leash a long time ago. My little 37lb baby is now 6 months (Monday) and 65lbs.

Alienex, Mensa is still getting her ears posted once a week or so, so maybe we'll run into each other in Dr Jezbera's waiting room one of these days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.