Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working with Mensa for the last three weeks trying to get her to walk on a leash. For the most part she refuses. Off-leash she will follow me anywhere I go. On-leash she gets stubborn. She sits down and won't move. Not at all. Here is what she looks like when she is on a leash:

I've tried bribing her with treats, but she's starting to wise up to that trick. I've tried taking the other dogs with us to show her a good example. The only thing that gets her to move is dropping the leash and walking away.

Today I think she may have had a breakthrough-moment. I had her on the long 20' (6m) leash so I could walk further away from her and still have a hold of the leash. Normally when I pull on the leash trying to get her to follow me, she just sits tight and screams. Today I decided not to listen to her complaints. When she refused to come along, I pulled her along, kicking and screaming, until she got up off her butt and walked with me. She tested me a few more times, but I didn't let her sit and remain seated when we were supposed to be walking. She got to the point where all she needed was a light tug on the leash to get her to come along.

I don't want to declare victory yet, I'll have to see how she does tomorrow, but she may have gotten it. I hope so. The other dogs go absolutely nuts when they see a leash.

Does anyone have any advice to help things along? Have you had experiences like this? What worked for you?

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Sounds like you are doing things right to me,just get very excited when she does do the right thing and let her know it, then she will do it just to see you go crazy.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's exactly what I've been doing, Brumwolf. Whenever I catch her doing something good, like walking on a leash or peeing outside, we jump up and down like she just cured cancer.

I don't ever leash her up at home or in the yard. I want her to see the leash as her ticket to adventure.

Saturday I was downtown trying to walk her. She absolutely refused to budge so I had to carry her. I got heckled by a couple ladies in a Prius. They drove up next to us and one of them yelled something to the effect of wanting to know who's walking whom.

She's 37 lbs (17kg) now so it won't be long before she's too big to carry.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Try putting the leash on her and just let her walk around with it on. Let her get use to it. Let her run around with the leash on and then try picking it up without her knowing. Let her go where she wants until she is comfortable with the leash. :)

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Duchess didnt care for the leash when she was younger either...she just grew out of it as long as we still worked with treats and encouragement.:)

·
Registered
602 Posts
You are doing a good job so far. You've got a stubborn girl that's for sure. Treats did the trick for Princess and they still do, I think that is because she almost never gets treats. Treats are only for some very special occasions and training sessions. Is there something she likes especially? Could be a toy or an activity, add that while she is on a leash.

Good Luck
Naveen

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Gotta love those head strong girls.....LOL. treats helps alot. Not sure if just leaving the leash on her while walking outside will help her get use to it. Even if you just play with her with the leash on, might get her not to notice the leash is on her. If she stays with you without the leash, play follow the leader with it on her. She probably just does not understand what the leash is for....Gotta love those girls.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
since duchess had the same problem...Im going to warn you about the playing tug of war with the leash. Sometimes if I start to jog when duchess is on the leash...she will get very happy and start to grab the leash and tug...its almost like duchess is walking all calm and nice... and then once I start to act weird on the leash she says "HEY! what are you doing! your suppose to walk nice! (grabs the leash and gets in front of me pulling)"come on lets go! your not behaving! lol" hahaha

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Today was the best day yet, We covered almost two miles in about 45 minutes. She didn't play stubborn once. She enjoyed the walk. I'm glad I got that picture yesterday because I might not see her do that again!

·
Registered
602 Posts
LapDog said:
since duchess had the same problem...Im going to warn you about the playing tug of war with the leash. Sometimes if I start to jog when duchess is on the leash...she will get very happy and start to grab the leash and tug...its almost like duchess is walking all calm and nice... and then once I start to act weird on the leash she says "HEY! what are you doing! your suppose to walk nice! (grabs the leash and gets in front of me pulling)"come on lets go! your not behaving! lol" hahaha
You are so right. If I just look at Princess funny during a walk or run, she will grab the leash and sart to jump up and down like........yeaaaayyyy its time to play!!!!! Too funny.

Naveen

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Mensa reminds me of Java at that stage - I love the 'I'm NOT impressed with you right now' look in her eye. Java tried this manouver during her second obedience class - just dug in her heels while refusing to look at me. Two gentle corrections on the training collar and one indignant yelp later and she was very willing to budge.

I've read in 'Puppies for Dummies' to tie one end of the leash to your belt loop and have puppy follow you around the house. Didn't work for me - Java kept getting under my feet and I spent most of my time trying not to trip over her.

·
Premium Member
10,160 Posts
I usually start puppies out with a very light collar and a show type leash (also very light weight) AND I take them for their first walks, on leash, with one of the adult dogs--takes about two trips with an adult who knows about leashes and walks well on them and puppies catch on.

Having said that I retrained a very stubborn young male for a breeder friend who at nearly 5 months and over 50 pounds had decided he would simply lie down and not move if you put a leash on him. We had two very ugly sessions in a grassy area--I carried him out to it and put a leash on him (standard 6 foot obedience type leash that I almost never use for anything) I started forward and he made a mad dash the opposite direction and hit the end of the leash and lay down. I kept going--he shreiked like he was being murdered. I walked a good 12 feet before he decided I wasn't going to stop and he was going to be dragged (I had him on a flat collar--fitting so it couldn't slip off over his head) if he didn't get up--so he jumped to his feet and dashed here there and yonder--hitting the end of the leash multiple times. Through all of this I just kept walking--slowly and offering him a cookie--as I had been all along.

We made it down to the end of the grassy area (by this time I had an audience of all the stay at home moms in the neighborhood) and I made a u-turn and started back the other direction. At that point he threw himself on the ground again and got dragged about 15 feet more for his efforts--at that point he was yelping everytime he hit the end of the leash and screaming when he was being dragged. I kept walking with the treats and calling him. He finally got up and ran up to me--it was like a light turned on--he ate the cookie--said "Oh, if I stay here you won't pull on me?".

We walked up and down the grassy area twice more. The audience abandoned up because nothing exciting was happening. The puppy got a lot more cookies and we walked home.

He never tried to lay down on leash again and it evidently did him no lasting harm as he was the first puppy to get an Obedience title from that litter--his eventual owner said he was the easiest dog she ever trained when it came to heeling.

This is NOT a technique that I generally recommend--but several people had been trying to get that puppy to get up off the ground and stop screaming about the leash for three months by the time I did that and he'd leaned the lesson very well that if he layed down, didn't move and screamed he'd won.

I would never do it with a puppy as young as yours.

RM (Bug) Russell

·
Registered
357 Posts
With jack i wrap our 5' leash around my waist and walk like that.. so im not really holding onto the leash.. he thinks its great except when he trs to go in front of me lol.
But yeah.. what you are doing now is what i did with jack when he was younger.. he was so stubborn i had to carry him.. then i gave that up and if he sat down i tugged on the leash and said come and dragged his butt til he had to walk..

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Seems like Piper wanted to repel away from me at first, I did pretty much the same thing as dobebug, when she stopped I kept walking. It didn't take her long, and she was planted next to my leg. Rommel was super easy, I started out walking him at the same time I walked Piper, they would both walk nicely on my left side (he wanted to be close to me and her) Then Scott would walk Piper, and I would follow with Rommel. I agree that they can learn alot from a well behaved older dog.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm having similar issues with my pup...

what are you supposed to do when he sits and just refuses to budge? Yank on the leash? You're not supposed to drag them, are you?

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
No, dragging is not a good thing. Maybe some gentle tugs of encouragement on the leash would be beneficial. Maybe try moving real quickly as if you are running away from him while calling him to you with your back turned. Most puppies love the "chase mom or dad" game.
Maybe bring a favorite or loud toy or some special treats for baby puppies for added encouragement for walking nicely on leash.

Young puppies such as the adorable Toro can't and shouldn't take walks that are too long. Not good for their growing joints.
Plus, Toro probably gets distracted often when walking on leash, and that is okay and normal. Don't expect too much at his young age.

Keep the walks short, fun, and positive. Right now is a building block to his future of walking on leash, practice the basics, keep sessions short, upbeat, and praise him often.

I agree with Bug, for young puppies I like to keep everything very light. Light thin leashes and plain buckle collars too. I am also a fan of slip leads since they are so easy (if you don't have a monster puller, I had to change the slip lead with my male at around 4.5 months).

Also, I would make sure he isn't stopping b/c he is tired or too hot. The summer heat can really take a lot out of a young puppy.

Good luck. =)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts