Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be getting my new 2 year old dobie girl in the beginning of February. All the obedience commands she know is in Serbian language. I want to learn her english. Does anyone have experience with this? I will get an audio file with all the serbian commands. The advice I have been hearing so far is to first give the english command quickly followed by the serbian. Then she should be able to soon get the connection and start doing the motion when the english command is given. However this advice was given by a person with no experience with this. Does anybody know if that is the best way? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
It isn't quite the same but some years ago I adopted a Beagle from an American family. Instead of 'good boy' they used 'outstanding' and 'atta boy', now I know this is the same language, however, when you speak English with a specific accent, I am from Yorkshire, it really wasnt going to work.
The way I dealt with it, was I would say 'outstanding' then say 'good boy' I did this for several weeks gradually dropping the americanism, after a couple of months he was a Yorskhire speaking Beagle.
Good luck.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Yes, that is how I would do it. I teach a hand signal for many commands and THEN a verbal. When I add the verbal, I do exactly as you were instructed. I say sit, wait 1-2 seconds give hand signal (which would be your Serbian command) and then reward for a job well done :)

Reactions: KevinK and Jones
1 - 4 of 4 Posts