Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight was a pretty trying night for us.. We usually take a family hike every day (just 2-4 miles on an easy trail) that wears the pupster out, in addition to the 5 or 6 15min training sessions we do. I was feeling under the weather today, and didn't do anything with her. No walk, no hike, no training. I may have grossly underestimated "working breed"

Oh.My.Gosh. She is a total TERROR! She had a serious case of the zoomies, knocking things over, was chewing on the couch, totally forgot EVERY rule of the house (was biting our legs HARD, jumping on us, got into my food.. everything!).. she never does any of this! and I was about to pull my hair out! I sucked it up and took her to the park down the street and ran for a good 30min with her. I sure feel sicker, but little miss is conked out sleeping now.

Lesson learned... Doberpups do not care if you are sick ;) I might invest in a treadmill for next time, LOL. What do you guys do when you can't get out of the house to get all that boundless energy out??

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
depends on the personality and age of each dog...sometimes just leaving the back door open so they can run in and out as much as they like...works ok if you have a dog that isn't going to drag household contents outside...sometimes, just allowing them a treat of being able to snuggle with you is ok for a lower drive or empathic individual...otherwise...call in the reinforcements of dog walkers (friends, family professionals).

I had 3 days of being almost completely bed bound when i broke my back...I left the back door open for Zil...but he barely left my bedroom to even eat. He just lay on the floor looking concerned and protective...and didn't once try to get on the bed...which is where he usually slept. Somehow he knew he had to be careful around me.

Somehow I highly doubt this foster mutt I have now would show me even a whisker of that consideration :lol:

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,301 Posts
I keep something extra special set aside for those days when I just can't manage the daily routine--a good 40 minutes of chewing an extra-special yummy treat almost makes up for the lack of exercise. Of course, mine are mature now and probably a bit less antsy.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
This is where bully sticks have saved me haha this last Sunday I wasn't feeling well and diesel was going crazy! He sat there and chewed a bully stick for an hour while I laid on the couch and then came and took a nap with me. Luckily I only had to distract him for 4 hours before my boyfriend could take over but I've had days where I was sick or hadn't slept the night before and Diesel is crazy! Barking, running, trying to bite everything as he's running. Its ridiculous. I also found just throwing a toy for him kills a lot of energy that way I can still sit down and relax but he loves to chew toys so those are the best for him.

Don't worry I've learned too the hard way. They are not a breed that can just chill for a day haha unless I've really worked him hard the day before with a trail walk or a play date or both.

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
I think it's hilarious when Lexi gets the zoomies.

I have a love seat, a ottomon and a futon roughly spread 3 feet from each other and she will sometimes leap from one to the other going back and forth.

She ALWAYS gets the zoomies after a bath to, never understood it. Maybe because she's feeling fresh?

·
Registered
793 Posts
a nice warm bath, a freshly warmed (in the dryer) blankie and a bully stick almost always guarantees us a two hour nap on her part. Works like a charm every time. lol.

·
Super Moderator
21,896 Posts
Like melbrod, on those types of days I pull out a raw knuckle bone and let them go to it for a couple of hours in their crates. It's not really necessary now that Shanoa is older and can manage the odd day of hanging out inside, but it worked great when she was a pup.

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
What do you guys do when you can't get out of the house to get all that boundless energy out??
LOL! Oh, yeah. I remember when Fi was a pup. No rest for the wicked (puppy Fiona) or the weary (me).

I get out of the house anyway. We went to agility training last night and I had a 102.4 temperature. I could have sternly told my girls to go lay down since they're both adults, but I feel bad. It's not their fault they're bouncing off the walls with boredom. As long as I'm not vomiting, it's easier to get up and do something with them than deal with energized fidgeting all night.

Also, on the plus side, apparently training sped up my recovery because my fever broke last night and I feel a million times better today! LOL :D

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Sorry, I know you're sick, but I laughed out loud when I read your post. Been there, done that . . . and paid big time.

It does get better, but at least in our experience, not a whole lot and not for quite a while. Now that Jack is three, we can occasionally get away with a shorter hike if we're really busy or tired or under the weather.

A chewing session on a fresh knuckle bone can help, and I also dip into my supply of special treats for stuffing into his Kong. But nothing cools him out as effectively as our daily hike, which always includes a vigorous session of off-lead fetching.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
I keep something extra special set aside for those days when I just can't manage the daily routine--a good 40 minutes of chewing an extra-special yummy treat almost makes up for the lack of exercise. Of course, mine are mature now and probably a bit less antsy.

This is what I do, too.

Plus a couple quick sessions of running them thru easy tricks/obedience they already know and I don't have to really think about.

The good news is, once she matures a bit, there's at least a chance she'll have an "off switch" and relax and sympathize when you're sick. For about one day, at least...then all bets are off and you better come up with more exercise :D

Reactions: longshot4me

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
LOL! Oh, yeah. I remember when Fi was a pup. No rest for the wicked (puppy Fiona) or the weary (me).

I get out of the house anyway. We went to agility training last night and I had a 102.4 temperature. I could have sternly told my girls to go lay down since they're both adults, but I feel bad. It's not their fault they're bouncing off the walls with boredom. As long as I'm not vomiting, it's easier to get up and do something with them than deal with energized fidgeting all night.

Also, on the plus side, apparently training sped up my recovery because my fever broke last night and I feel a million times better today! LOL :D
Meanwhile, every other handler at agility class is now sick! :roflmao:

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
luckily no matter how sick i am, or how long i am layed up, on crutches or whatever...................i have always manged to handle my dogs daily 'activities'.

though at times i have had trouble handling my own. :)

puppies......................been a longtime since i had a crazy, wild, zoomie puppy!

Hugz to that wild child of yours!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I think it's hilarious when Lexi gets the zoomies.

I have a love seat, a ottomon and a futon roughly spread 3 feet from each other and she will sometimes leap from one to the other going back and forth.

She ALWAYS gets the zoomies after a bath to, never understood it. Maybe because she's feeling fresh?
Diesel does zoomies after he gets a bath too. It's hilarious.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
depends on the personality and age of each dog...sometimes just leaving the back door open so they can run in and out as much as they like...works ok if you have a dog that isn't going to drag household contents outside...sometimes, just allowing them a treat of being able to snuggle with you is ok for a lower drive or empathic individual...otherwise...call in the reinforcements of dog walkers (friends, family professionals).

I had 3 days of being almost completely bed bound when i broke my back...I left the back door open for Zil...but he barely left my bedroom to even eat. He just lay on the floor looking concerned and protective...and didn't once try to get on the bed...which is where he usually slept. Somehow he knew he had to be careful around me.

Somehow I highly doubt this foster mutt I have now would show me even a whisker of that consideration :lol:
AW, what a sweetheart! Callie couldn't have cared less :D She was biting and jumping on me.. Hey mom, get off yer butt! lets gooooo!

We have a doggy door thats always open.. we close it at night though, just to prevent barking at the moon and harassing the night-time critters ;)

Reactions: Australdi

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Shhhh... we use 3" chunks of bully sticks like pacifiers around here :roflmao: that, or her kong! Like brw said... no rest for the wicked!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
She goes absolutely nuts when we give her a bath! Biting the air, zooming, jumping all over the place :) making really weird noises.. the whole bit. The bath frolicks! Shes the first dog I've had thats done it, so funny to hear there are others! I can't believe that at one point.. I thought she'd never come out of that super timid shell she came with, now, somedays (yesterday) I wanted it back! lol.

So many good ideas :) Thanks guys! I ended up just toughing it out and took me and my vomit outside for a run lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts