Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have raised Timber Wolves for many many years and now have no wolves and have a European Doberman now. He is 14 weeks old. My questions is Wolves and dogs are COMPLETELY different in their nature, training and thinking ( I am finding out and learing my best to learn to communicate with a dog). I love him dearly but my question is about them being protective and who is the alpha. Should not I let puppy ( Noah) feel as though he is the Alpha so he will feel as though he has the right to protect me? I have read to not let a Doberman think he is the alpha ( I don't understand why). With wolves, they protected me because I belonged to them. Does a Doberman think the same? If the Doberman does not think I belong to him, I would think he would have no reason to protect me when he gets older. Sorry if this sounds like an odd question, but I am baffled as to why I should not let Noah feel as though he is the alpha or am I reading other posts or interpreting what I am reading wrong.

·
Premium Member
8,960 Posts
The whole Alpha thing is over rated in dogs. Generally, the owner is going to be the leader and that should not affect the dogs willingness to protect you - it is what a Doberman was bred to do.

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,800 Posts
Quote from MMc -- Indiana is off its collective rocker

I guess you have never been to Indiana before - off the rocker is perfectly normal here MMc --- lol

Hanna - If I can ask , what part of Indiana ? we live east of Indy 25 miles and welcome fellow Hoosier : ))

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Neo Puppy, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 7 y/o, RIP Eva HADR Rescue Dobe, Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
5,718 Posts
Quote from MMc -- Indiana is off its collective rocker

I guess you have never been to Indiana before - off the rocker is perfectly normal here MMc --- lol

Hanna - If I can ask , what part of Indiana ? we live east of Indy 25 miles and welcome fellow Hoosier : ))
ECIN, NOW it all makes perfect sense why those Indiana coyotes migrated to Oklahoma!
(Hoosier wolves chased them out of state toward the lure of chickens around the Guthrie, OK area...) (y)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts