Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
i use a torch with Harvey ..especially when it gets dark early an harveys less inclined to go off and have a run ..he loves it-sends him wild everytime :D

·
Registered
416 Posts
lol trinity likes the flash light more. When I pull it out she goes nuts I start moving the flash light all over the place and she trys her hardest to get it. Sometimes I will make the flash light go into a circle once and trinity will keep going.LOL she whins and barks because she can't get it and sometimes she goes in so many circles she falls over because she so dizzy. LOL

·
Registered
460 Posts
Ava goes nuts over the laser pointer. In the summer, at night, I'd take it out in the yard and she'd run all over the place trying her best to catch the elusive red light. :)

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
Same here, Takira loves it!

One word of caution though... I was watching The Dog Whisper show and there was a dog he went to visit that was obsessed with the light, infact so much that even if there was no light he was still looking for it. It got to the point where it was neurotic and the dog was going crazy sorta.

So just a word of caution, maybe use the light in moderation> :D

TD

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
TakirasDad said:

One word of caution though... I was watching The Dog Whisper show and there was a dog he went to visit that was obsessed with the light, infact so much that even if there was no light he was still looking for it. It got to the point where it was neurotic and the dog was going crazy sorta.

TD

I saw that one too, talk about a one track mind! That dog has spot light on the brain and that was it!

·
Registered
111 Posts
thats why im hesitant on getting one for my pups, i can see Sasha doing that

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lexus said:
TakirasDad said:

So just a word of caution, maybe use the light in moderation>

TD
I saw that one too, talk about a one track mind! That dog has spot light on the brain and that was it!
Yeah, i saw that too. that is why i only use it maybe once a week.

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
Holy necroed thread, Batman!
10 days shy of 2 years...

Red LOVES the laser. All you have to do is utter the word laser and he goes into freak out mode. He gets this crazed look in his eyes and he just runs... I run him out in the backyard for a good 10 minutes or so. I've never seen his nub wag so fast, it's like a blur! lol I wish I could get it on video but it's too dark. :(

·
Extraordimary
4,923 Posts
It's not something I'd choose to use, personally. I attended a seminar at the national a few years ago with an OCD expert and the footage and stories of some of the dogs was just startling, depressing and sad. Some of them become obsessed with light from any source beginning with recreational laser pens and they wind up chasing shadows and reflections all day every day. They needed much behavioural modification and some required drugs to get back to living normal lives, and some of them weren't able to at all and just continued to be nutjobs.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
personally I'd never use one on any dog. My bro just got one and I only let him use it on his cat.

I've heard it can cause OCD and compulsive behaviors. Also builds up aggression and frusteration in chasing something he will never catch. Maybe not for all dogs, but I wouldn't chance it.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I also seen that show... But even before that I heard it was not good to allow your dog to get fixated on a lazer pen. I have a friend, who's dog will become aggressive when chasing it, and attack the other dogs. Now she's so bad that if someone hold a pen or anything in the shape of one she stares at it foreverrrrr!

I think maybe short sessions of this play will be fine though. But it's hard not to keep going because they are sooo entertaining! lol

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
It's not something I'd choose to use, personally. I attended a seminar at the national a few years ago with an OCD expert and the footage and stories of some of the dogs was just startling, depressing and sad. Some of them become obsessed with light from any source beginning with recreational laser pens and they wind up chasing shadows and reflections all day every day. They needed much behavioural modification and some required drugs to get back to living normal lives, and some of them weren't able to at all and just continued to be nutjobs.
Of the two that like to play with it, I have one that can handle it, another that simply can't. I would use caution, make a key word for beginning play and ending play and don't do it in long frequent sessions. Basically know your dog.

Reactions: Burns

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
I would use caution, make a key word for beginning play and ending play and don't do it in long frequent sessions. Basically know your dog.
Yes, I do make sure he knows when play time is over. And once he knows we're going back inside and laser time is over, he settles back down and there are no problems. I've never seen him chasing lights or whatever before. I saw that one Cesar Millan show with the dog who was fixated on the light, and there's no way I would let my dog act like that. Red knows when its laser time, and when its not. I probably only use it about once a week, and for like 10 mins at a time, like I said above. If I saw him becoming obsessed outside of playtime, that would be the end of that. But so far, he is just enjoying some full-out sprints in the yard, which saps the rest of his energy, then he crashes for the rest of the night, lol.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts

TD
I made the mistake of using a lazer with my shepherd, seemed harmless enough and she LOVED it. Problem was she became obcessed with lights and would attempt to drag you towards them INTO traffic or in front of cars at a store. I learned I had created a monster. It took months to get her totally out of wanting to go toward car lights especially park lights because they are red.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts