Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I must admit my ignorance, and it is something that I have wondered for a long time...

When I was researching breeds and deciding on a doberman I had read a bit about 'king' dobermans. I think my simon has a bit of king in him, as he towers over all of the other dobies I have met since getting him. I just started wondering because of the doberman's chest thread...simon has a VERY deep chest (everyone who meets him always comments about his size and chest) You can see a side picture of him on my gallery, I will not post it here because I can't get it any smaller! I do not know anything about his past other than that he was probably from a byb (the rescue paper said they got him from a friend.....and he is uncropped and a very poor job of a tail dock and dew claw removal). No matter, I just wanted a companion and not a show dog, and the rescue was wonderful about placing simon with me.

Anyways I just wanted some information about the so called 'kings' or larger dobies that are out there. Could it just be bad breeding also? I can guess that this is the case also. Is there any specific health problems that can go along with larger dobies?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Yes oversize dobermans are a result of bad breeding. Some people out there want mammoth-size dobies, when in all actuallity the breed is supposed to be a larger end of medium scale. Many so called breeders out there brag about their lines having Warlock and King lines in them, when in reality they are just oversize dobies, some are even crossed with Dane to get more size on them.

They are more prone to hip and joint issues, just b/c of their size and irresponsible breeding. Not to mention heart issues.

·
Super Moderator
15,665 Posts
sometimes also reffered to as "warlock" to attract uneducated buyers. Not that it matters, you rescued a very special boy!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yeah I agree here. Funny thing is I have had people look at a pic of mine and ask me if he was a warlock. And on 3 accounts I have had others tell me in person ..."Thats the biggest doberman i have ever seen" However he is the ideal height, he is 27in and his weight is right on par...he is 80lbs. He is 2 yrs old. I wanted to ask them back...Well how big are the dobies you looking at? I am aware they can be smaller esp. if they are a female. Even had a lady tell me when i told her, his weight, that i was in the gladiator line mix....i said no im not and then she tried to tell me i didnt find the doberman weight on the DPCA's website....while it is there you just have to look to find it. So that also lets you know how much others know about the doberman...in fact the lady breeds whites which none of us accept anyway. So that says alot about her anyways, and her no knowledge of dobes.but she thinks she knows it all. could have been the same lady from here, that PDS, cause some of the pics looked the same but on Myspace she is called Liz. sorry to get off topic, just pointing out that some clam to know about the breed when in fact they do not.

·
Banned
675 Posts
PDS and Liz are two different people, apparently, but they share the same mindset and often appear on the same forums.

Where on the DPCA website does it mention weight? I haven't seen it either. The breed standard doesn't mention weight, just height. Weight can vary depending on a dog's build.

·
Registered
357 Posts
wow, i see what you mean about the deep chest.. it kinda looks way outta proportion with his front legs.. im not an expert on dobes but it does look to be bad breeding.. but since you got him from a rescue it shouldnt matter since hes is just a companian. sorry i cant give you informaion on 'King' side of it all.. cause like i said im not an expert heh.
You boy sure does have a cute face that makes up for his chest :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I just tried to measure him....which was hard because he is deathly afraid of the measuring tape.. He is about 30 inches or so from his feet to the whithers (are they called that on dogs or just horses?? :) ) So yeah, he is a big big boy! He is all legs though, he only weighs 87 lbs at last vet visit...

·
Super Moderator
15,665 Posts
30" is pretty tall, the ideal height for males is about 27.5" and 26.5" for females. But remember he is just a companion as you have stated and it really doesn't matter (unless it has a connection with heart problems?)

·
Registered
134 Posts
He really does have a great face, he looks like he's smiling. You could send his picture to Bark magazine's Smiling Dogs page!
Jen

·
Registered
255 Posts
Actually if you go to the DPCA's site...find public ed committee link and click it, and then click the doberman link...it does state height and weight. Its there but you have to look to find it. And yeah lol 30in is pretty big.But still your baby none the less. Ok so they are not the same person....it just looked like some of the pics were the same, ty for correction. oh almost forgot, he has such a cute face...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts