Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Hank-A-Potamus
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Black and Rust Male was born on October 11th, 2011. I was just wondering if anyone else has had a 4 month old that was 54lbs?! He's not overweight, just growing incredibly fast. He's growing at a 13.5lb/month rate, which is higher than all the forums that i've read. Has anyone had a puppy this large? if so, how big did your dobie get? we're trying to figure out how big he's going to end up.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
My girl was petite her whole life and our 2 rescues were/are grown when we got them.

But HANK-A-POTAMUS!!! sooooo cute! I have an english bulldog named Clyde who is a little porkchop and I call him CHUNK-A-POTAMUS all the time :) I stole the name from another bully who really was named chunkapotamus!

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Jasmine was also a large puppy I think at 4 months she was around 45 lbs, pretty big for a female. She did end up large as an adult, almost 28" and close to 90 lbs. Although she is carrying extra weight as she is hypo thyroid and I cannot get her weight down. But before that she was about 82 pounds and looked pretty lean.

How big is the sire and dam of your puppy?

·
Hank-A-Potamus
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Sire was 90 lbs at full grown and the Dam was 80 lbs.
Since the Sire and Dam were average size, i figured we could expect the 10lb/month average. I guess i was wrong to assume!

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
I am going only by what I have seen, but I believe the average weight of a male would be between 80 to 90 lbs with a lot falling around 83/85 lbs when not in show/heavy weight. Females are more in the 60 to 70 range. So, I think your pups parents were oversize, using 271/2 in as the ideal height. Myself, when you get over 28 1/2 inches its over height, tho there is not a dq for height. Your pup could be also, or he could be one that gets his height early then quits or slows down at six or so months. I would look to his parents tho.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Gus was 68 pounds at around 5.5 months. He's now like 90-something and could fill out more. I didn't know him at your dog's age but imagine it must have been a close number

1 - 7 of 7 Posts