Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should you, and if you do at what age, change from feeding your Doberman "large breed" puppy food to regular puppy food? My dog is nine months old and probably close to his overall height so slowing down his bone growth doesn't seem to be as important and perhaps a higher protein food to help fill out his muscles is a better idea now. Is there a general opinion on doing this?

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Rather than going by "large breed puppy" specifically, look at the nutrient analysis. not all dog foods are created equal and not all large breed puppy foods are the same. I personally don't feed puppy food to either of my breeds. They go on all life stages or raw from the beginning. But there are some good large breed puppy food brands out there.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I don't feed puppy food at all. And if you do feed puppy food, I recommend switching to adult food by 4 or 5 months old. Puppy food often causes puppies to grow too quickly. My dogs have all been eating an All Life Stages (ALS) or adult food since I got them as puppies (and one dog is on raw).

There are differing opinions on this topic, so others may have other viewpoints. But at his age, if you don't want to feed the large breed puppy anymore, I wouldn't switch to regular puppy. I'd switch to adult.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
My dog had horrible diarrhea on the three puppy foods he was on. I switched him to an all life stages food with lower protein and everything firmed right up. He is now half that same kibble and half premade raw.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. Raw isn't an option for me so I'll try the all life stage formula.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is some good info on the subject by Dr. Karen Becker.

Why "Overgrowing" Your Large Breed Puppy is Dangerous

Slow Growth Diet in Dogs - YouTube
Funny you should mention that as I just finished watching it when I saw your post :nicejob:

That's exactly what I'm trying to do, grow him healthy instead of just growing him.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
My biggest concern before 12 months is protein amount.. the lower the better (under 26%)! I know everyone has different views on this. But raising pups I've seen some issues when feeding a higher protein food to a growing Doberman.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I use Artemis large breed... My pup 5.2 months was going east/west on an ALS formula.. while I used to agree with ALS I am now of the view that reading the nutrient analysis and making sure calcium/phos is the correct ratio and the protein isnt above 28% (no I did not over feed when on ALS this is a brand new situation for me).

I'll probably change her over at 10 -12 months.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Im taking the advice of my breeder. She told me to feed large breed puppy until 3 months. Then switch to half large breed adult and half large breed puppy from 3 months up to a year. Ive done that and had great results with no problems. Then again whose to say it would really be any different if I went any other way?? I feed solid gold wolf cub and wolf king. Coat is shiny and stools are firm!! And he loves it!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the very informative advice. I've been studying as much as I can find on all the different quality brands. I have been avoiding any with protein over 30% but not sure where I should be on the fat & carbohydrate percentage. Also, what's the general consensus regarding grain free? It seems popular but does it matter as long as you have a good percentage of meat protein and your dog isn't having any allergic reactions to any of the grains?

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
My Dobe was on pro plan large breed puppy before I got him. At 5 months I switched him to Orijen ALS and now he is on Acana ALS. I would not put another puppy on puppy food.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts