Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had Ghost (9mo) on purina pro plan latge breed puppy (chicken and rice) ever since I've brought him home. I gave him pumpkin and coconut oil along with it. I had to add water to it to help him get enough water for the first few months. He's started to turn his nose up at his food.
He's never been given scraps. We don't feed him "something better" outside of meal time.
He's always done very well on this food: infrequent gas, coat looks fantastic, stools are normal, normal energy levels.. until recently.
Because it's summer and hot, he has been eating less.
Well for the last month and a half, he's been refusing to eat his food. When he does it, it's because he's so hungry, he'll eat anything and he only eats just enough to keep from starving. He will only eat at night and in the mornings, he's been throwing up a portion of the previous night's dinner.
He's been to the vet and examined for obstruction, he's clear. Vet cannot find anything wrong to this sudden intolerance.
We tried beef and rice flavor of the same thing, but he refuses to eat that too. He will eat other dog food and bone broth, but nothing purina. He won't even eat his food mixed with peanut butter or mixed with bone broth. As soon as i put a few pieces of his food in the broth, he won't touch it.
What other large breed puppy food do you recommend?
I've been looking at archived posts and other discussions and i can't find what I'm looking for.
I will not feed grain free or anything listed by the fda that has been linked to dcm.
I thought there was like 5 different large breed puppy foods that were highly recommended, but i can't find them. My google skills are suffering today.
Any advice?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wow he got super finnicky... even enticing goodies he still refuses. Provided there isn't something medical it may be a bad experience eating Purina he now associates it with. However if he is throwing up that's telling me he is now allergic to something in his food, making him a little ill. It also may be simply a bad batch of Purina he is reacting to and may be able to smell it, so you can try to get a small bag of it again from a different source to see. Is it the same bag of Purina this whole time? Perhaps the Purina Pro sensitive stomach Salmon & Rice?

Right now his refusal to eat is because he knows there's something bad or allergic to in the food is my best guess.

I recently started feeding Acana Healthy Grains Puppy which is going very well. You may have to go process of elimination of ingredients or see if you can get allergy tests done.

A limited ingredient kibble diet may be also an option that you can add too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow he got super finnicky... even enticing goodies he still refuses. Provided there isn't something medical it may be a bad experience eating Purina he now associates it with. However if he is throwing up that's telling me he is now allergic to something in his food, making him a little ill. It also may be simply a bad batch of Purina he is reacting to and may be able to smell it, so you can try to get a small bag of it again from a different source to see. Is it the same bag of Purina this whole time? Perhaps the Purina Pro sensitive stomach Salmon & Rice?

Right now his refusal to eat is because he knows there's something bad or allergic to in the food is my best guess.

I recently started feeding Acana Healthy Grains Puppy which is going very well. You may have to go process of elimination of ingredients or see if you can get allergy tests done.

A limited ingredient kibble diet may be also an option that you can add too.
I purchased the beef and rice formula from a different store. I haven't checked to see if rhey have similar lot numbers or whatever.
Yes, It has been the same bag of the chicken so it definitely could be a bad batch.
I'll probably have to switch to something else for a while and try a different bag of ppp later.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I purchased the beef and rice formula from a different store. I haven't checked to see if rhey have similar lot numbers or whatever.
Yes, It has been the same bag of the chicken so it definitely could be a bad batch.
I'll probably have to switch to something else for a while and try a different bag of ppp later.
Hope all it is is just a spoiled bag, or just one that spoiled quickly after opening. A puppy refusing to eat is usually a huge red flag something is wrong... mine is 4 months and sill loves eating dirt!

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
14,071 Posts
Purina changed several of its formulas not that long ago. Leo had been doing great on the Sensitive Skin and Stomach Salmon and Rice, but about two bags into the new formula, she started not doing as well as she had been. I switched all of them to a different brand, and started feeding an all life stages kibble, so that I didn't have to buy two different foods, one for the seniors and one for the puppy.

·
Registered
One
2 Posts
I've been feeding Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy after transitioning my girl from the breeder's food. She loves it, is thriving well and her coat looks fantastic. Good solid poop 2x a day. She's 7 months old and has been eating it like a champ since she was 10 weeks old.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We switched not too long ago from Acana to Farmina N&D Ancestral Grain Chicken & Pomegranate Medium & Maxi Puppy. Our girl likes it, and I read good reviews on it as well. Eventually I was going to try lamb formula as well just to make it a little more interesting.

·
Premium Member
10,917 Posts
We switched not too long ago from Acana to Farmina N&D Ancestral Grain Chicken & Pomegranate Medium & Maxi Puppy. Our girl likes it, and I read good reviews on it as well. Eventually I was going to try lamb formula as well just to make it a little more interesting.
On the basis of having tried lamb formulas over the las 50 years several times I'd recommend against it. I've been posting on Dobe lists and forums for years that everytime I tried lamb based kibbles the first thing that happened was that in only a few weeks the coats on the dogs got duller, and they had a problem maintaining their weight--and feeding more to keep them in show weight didn't work very well because that immediately led to softer and softer stools because they were just plain getting more food .

It was only recently that I saw some information that explained why lamb wasn't working well for Dobemans. In a list of common products which are the basis of most kibbles. There is a definite order of products which are used and which are most easily utilized by the dog. The most available is fish, then poultry (chicken or turkey most often) , beef and lamb is at the very bottom.

I don't really agree with switching food to keep it more "interesting". I've found over time that if something is working well for a particular dog--keep feeding that. Change only when there is a reason, a real need to change.

That is what has worked best for me for all of the 60 years I've had Dobes.

dobebug

·
Premium Member
10,917 Posts
I really am just putting this in because it comes up so often. Dobes are not really a large breed--they are considered a medium breed and except for puppy foods--if you feed puppy food, especially to puppies in the 4 to 7 month range you only really need to feed large breed puppy food then. And I only feed puppy food until 4-5 months and then switch to adult or all life stages.

And for adult large breeds are not Dobermans--they are dogs like Danes, Irish Wolfhounds, Mastiffs...Dobes do fine on any of the all life stages foods or just plain "adult" food.

dobebug

·
Super Moderator
22,576 Posts
Since he's 9 months old, I would probably just switch him to one of the adult formulas of Proplan and see if that solves the problem. There are a lot of all life stages formulas....

Is he intact? He could also be in the midst of the "intact young adolescent finicky behavior"...normally I would say tough it out, but he's at the age that I'd switch to adult formula anyway, so...why not do that and see what happens?

·
Premium Member
10,917 Posts
LOL--You'd think, MeadowCat, with all the males I've owned and shown and lived through the adolescent male "testosterone" period, I 'd remember to mention that as a possible reason for changes of eating habits in young males.
I used to want to tear my hair out when a male who had just about gotten competitive in the conformation ring would decide that he was not much interested in food since he had discovered girls! I had a lot of practice at holding my breath and counting to 10 while the dog who had a great appetite 3 weeks earlier inspected his meal to see if he could bring himself to eat two kibbles.

I created a couple of picky eaters before I learned to just pick up the food and give it to one of the other dogs (I did learn to feed the "non-eater" first so I didn't just end up throwing out the food).

But fortunately they do get older and the effects of that full fledged testosterone flush does wear off and they go back to eating.

dobebug

·
Registered
7 Posts
On the basis of having tried lamb formulas over the las 50 years several times I'd recommend against it. I've been posting on Dobe lists and forums for years that everytime I tried lamb based kibbles the first thing that happened was that in only a few weeks the coats on the dogs got duller, and they had a problem maintaining their weight--and feeding more to keep them in show weight didn't work very well because that immediately led to softer and softer stools because they were just plain getting more food .

It was only recently that I saw some information that explained why lamb wasn't working well for Dobemans. In a list of common products which are the basis of most kibbles. There is a definite order of products which are used and which are most easily utilized by the dog. The most available is fish, then poultry (chicken or turkey most often) , beef and lamb is at the very bottom.

I don't really agree with switching food to keep it more "interesting". I've found over time that if something is working well for a particular dog--keep feeding that. Change only when there is a reason, a real need to change.

That is what has worked best for me for all of the 60 years I've had Dobes.

dobebug
Good to know!
She did well on Acana but her poops were very large which made me wonder if her body is not able to process it very well. Farmina she likes just as much but her poops are half the size.
I was going to try Purina Proplan but I don’t like that corn is one of the main ingredients - I always considered corn as a filler so not really sure what other benefit it has.

As for breed size, I recall on Blue Buffalo their cut off was 50lbs. Anything over that they considered large breed. Our girl will probably be 75lbs so I always think of her as large breed.

·
Premium Member
10,917 Posts
Mmmm--corn as the main carbohydrate component has gotten a rather bad name because of a lot of foods which added corn in a variety of ways and it simply ended up being a major component of the food.

Corn is actually a pretty good carb--has a reasonably high protein percentage and when not overused is not a "filler".

But there are a zillion (or more) opinions on which food is best and for me the bottom line is a consideration of who is making the food, if they use nutritionists, and veterinarians and have a test kennel to make sure their formulas are doing what they say they will do. And on my end i choose food that my dog likes and eats well and keeps him in good weight with reasonably small poops and makes his coat shiny, his eye bright and gives him a lot of energy.

This has worked well for me for many years.

dobebug

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have an 18 month old bitch. She was raised on a salmon and sweet potato product made by a company called Pinto Canyon. It's a specialty dog food company and they are pricey but she and my other dogs absolutely loved it. She is now 65 pounds of muscle and extremely active, as a Dobe should be. The company has several other choices available but the salmon is the only one recommended for growing pups. If you care to pursue it google pinto canyon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts