Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok where to start..... i have had 4 dobes in my immediate family...my personal last one was incredibly well trained, and i was super proud of that.. so in my experience i have learned good ideas/theroies on training, and they have worked very well.. my new pup Nariko 16 weeks old, is another amazing girl and responds well to training. she sits when i tell her to, she is potty trained, she stops doing whatever when i tell her no, she chews usually on her toys only (which she has plenty of) im working on stopping her from putting her paws up on my legs and she doesnt do that much anymore.. she is accepting the fact that i am alpha without much issue.... sounds good right?

heres the problem... my girlfriend who lives with us.... i have explained that when nariko jumps up for her to put her knee up and say nine... she says she does this..... but i have seen her respond by saying hi sweety and praising her for wrong doings... i explained that she needs to set her pecking order with the dog and sweet talking and letting her do wrong things only confuses the pup and will not be able to learn accepted behaviors... also explained that right now they are both tied for #2 in the pecking order and it is due to her not taking a stand and letting Nariko know where she belongs....when i tell her these issues as nice as i can, she gets upset... arrrgh.. she never owned a dog why wont she accept my experince and knowledge.

now for reality.... the dog is here forever, and i want her as finely trained as my last, but with indescrepancies this may not occur....

what do i do, how do i make my girlfriend understand and do the necesary things, so that we can ALL be happy in the house.

Nariko will play with me and usually never cross boundries i have set, but when she plays with girlfriend she will cross them all the time... biteing feet jumping absolute nut... if i jump in and correct her she stops... i know its not the pup....

please help me train my girlfriend to understand dobes...

·
Registered
22 Posts
A note from one of the guys. Instead of kneeing the Doberman in the chest. (I actually had a friend who broke a dog's rib doing that.) Grab both of the dog's front legs and hold them up and walk the dog backwards. This will make them very uncomfortable and will not jump up on you any longer. This may take a few times, but I promise you it will work. Also, say the word No in English or if you prefer German commands you can say "Nine." The other thng as you know is consistency. As you know Dobies are almost too smart for their own good. You are correct in saying that you have to train your girlfriend. I would say get a good bottle of wine sit down with her (your girlfriend) and explain the issue. I think once you explain to her things will get better. Actually, humans are harder to train than Dobermans so their is no promises that your girlfriend will listen.... Good luck and I hope this helped... :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
theuer said:
A note from one of the guys. Instead of kneeing the Doberman in the chest. (I actually had a friend who broke a dog's rib doing that.) Grab both of the dog's front legs and hold them up and walk the dog backwards. This will make them very uncomfortable and will not jump up on you any longer. This may take a few times, but I promise you it will work. Also, say the word No in English or if you prefer German commands you can say "Nine." The other thng as you know is consistency. As you know Dobies are almost too smart for their own good. You are correct in saying that you have to train your girlfriend. I would say get a good bottle of wine sit down with her (your girlfriend) and explain the issue. I think once you explain to her things will get better. Actually, humans are harder to train than Dobermans so their is no promises that your girlfriend will listen.... Good luck and I hope this helped... :)
lol i understand what you say about kneeing but i dont hit her, i just put it up it makes her attempt unsucessful, ive trained 4 dobes and a giant shnauser, well ive been trained as a handler lol, never could i see it breaking a rib.... i say nine all the time i was saying no on here due to the fact i thought we could all understand what im saying... she doesnt understand what no is, she has never heard it from me.
i have told her in nice ways and sometimes very stern ways, maybe we need the wine....lol

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im just getting frustrated cause she is getting bitchy bout it, she doesnt want to hear its her, not the dog...... maybe i need a bottle of jack...lol

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
HotPUrsuit:
kneeing your roommate inthe chest probably won't work either, but could be tempting lol
in your explanation aske her to imagaine that little ppup is a 90 lb. adult dobe. I don't think then she would much like that kind of greeting - cuz Nariko would definitely be right up in her face.
does your girlfriend under stand the word nine?

My feeling overall is this. you are responsible for Nariko's training and growing up to be a happy healthy, well behaved dobe. if she is not YOU will get the phone calls etc from the neighbors, not your friend. I think you really have to put your foot down (really, no pun intended) and tell her she either has to stop or find another place to live. Neither you Nor Nariko can afford to let your friend reinforce bac behaviour.

Nariko may not ever jump on you, and your friend may be big and strong enough to handle a dobe jumping - put 87 year old grandma down the street won't be able to, nor could a little toddler going for a walk.

sorry for the long winded (seems to be a bad habit I have picked up lately, too much coffee) but your friend needs the 'my way or the highway' speech and you have to be prepared to give her the boot.

There is just too much at risk down the road.

Carrie

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Another one from the guys side. Had the same problem with my SO/fiance'. She would tell me,"tell me when I did things wrong." I would tell her when she did things wrong and would get mad at me for it....It a long hard battle. It wasn't until she saw my girl only doing those bad things to her and not me is when she really started paying attention. When we started to do the classes, she was the handler in the class. I would train outside of class and then she would do the training in class. This really helped in getting her involved and realizing what is needed to be done. Once she sees that training is important, she jumped on the bandwagon. Also, she understands that she needs to be higher in our pack than our girl and she is still working on that. She wants to be the nice goody lady, but also knows that Nikita needs to see her as #1.....I would suggest getting your girlfriend involved in your training routine. Its great to do things together and she'll learn why this is so important to you....Good Luck.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Great advice from all, I'll throw in as a female perspective, okay now this may come as a surprise... are you guys sitting down? Women can tend to be a little hard headed and "bitchy" when told they are doing something wrong :) I think the best thing to do is as Kratty says, try getting her involved in the training. And get in a group to train so she can see that, yes, other people actually also train their dogs not to jump (imagine that, they aren't born preprogrammed to not jump!).
Good luck!

(btw, isn't my husband lucky, I'm NEVER like that ;) )

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hotpursuit, your partner needs to imagine what life is going to be like with a dobe that puts her lower than itself in the pack order. Good advice from everyone here. But I will give you an example of what happened to me!

When I adopted Jeddah I was desperate for doggy cuddles and affection, as my Rotti had passed around 3 to 4 months prior. Jeddah had belonged to a young single man who had a girlfriend. So Jeddah comes into my life, is fantastic with my husband and adult son, but completely ignores me and my daughter, and any instruction that we gave her. You could almost say that she treated us with contempt. I phoned prior owner, asked if she'd had much to do with women, response was "no, not really, she kind of ignored my girlfriend". So began the "girly" rehabilitation.

To be honest, I had to get tough with her just to get her attention, but then once I had it, lots and lots of praise. I do all of Jeddah's training, so as has been suggested get your partner involved, this will work miracles for their relationship. But she also needs to understand how this breed thinks, they are so very clever, if they can get away with putting one over you, they will! We as females obviously do this loving, nurturing kind of behaviour, and that can sometimes backfire when dealing with a highly intelligent dobe. I know if I get a little lax in my corrections, I see a definite change in her behaviour, and it's not for the better, believe me. :)

Jeddah idolizes me now, and that really didn't take long at all to achieve. Best of luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts