Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She has Demodectic mange, and entropion. We're back on Ivermectin treatments for the mange, and eventually might need surgery on her eyes. The vet seems to think that maybe the infection, and the mange has helped to cause her entropion. She also has an eye ulser, which might also correct itself. Lady still needs some weight on her, aparently her beginning weight was off (it was 50lb) because she weighed 48.8 today, and there is NO way she weighs less with some fat on her than she did just as skin and bones. She definatly did not enjoy her trip to the vet lol, poor girl stood on the table and shook the whole time. We have a follow up in two weeks and hopefully we can get this mange under control...BTW the vet estimated her at 1yr old. Which means she almost HAD to of come from a puppy mill because she has been bred before.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Poor Lady! Obviously someone w/o any sense of decency would allow a dog under a year to be bred - she's still a puppy herself! We're thinking good thoughts for her...

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
That is so disgusting that someone left her in the condition she is in and bred her on top of that. Thank god she has your emotional support.

·
Banned
675 Posts
At least now you know what the problems are, and the diagnosis makes sense to me. There is an operation that can fix the entropion, and it's likely that the entropion is what caused the ulcer on her eye. It causes the eyelashes to rub on the eye which has to be uncomfortable for the dog.

Hopefully you can also get the mange cleared up.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
It's good that you found some answers. That is sad about her past. Good luck with getting her in top condition.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Hope she feels better soon.:)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I am so glad she has someone to love her and take good care of her now, bless her heart, keeping good thoughts for her recovery!

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Here's hoping you can get her well soon so you can have the dobiegirl in full health.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Good Luck with the treatments. Once you find out whats going on, its a relief. Hope you get this resolved and back in health.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you guys for all your kind words, I am so glad that I finally know just what is wrong with her. I was hopeing it would have been something more simple though. The vet gave Lady a 60% chance of fully recovering from the mange, but we might have to battle it for the rest of her life. We have a follow up in two weeks when her Ivermectin is gone, hopefully by then she'll be doing well enough for a more thourough eye exam. I have to put her back on puppy food, so anyone have any suggestions for a good quality puppy formula? Authority doesn't have the harvest baked for puppies...well not anywhere that I can find. Poor Lady will also have to suffer a bath twice a week as well lol, I'll enjoy it, but her on the other hand will hate it. I'm glad I got the second opinion, because it turned out that everything the first vet said was wrong. The entropion is worse in one eye than it is the other, like the vet said once the mage is handled it could correct itself, Lady seems to be bringing the eyelid in herself because of constant scratching and pawing at that one eye.

·
Banned
675 Posts
Why does she have to be fed puppy food? Innova is a good food, and they make a puppy formula, but I don't know if it might be too rich for an adult dog.

There is a fawn Doberman in rescue who has mange and entropion. The rescuers said that the mange caused her entropion, I'd never heard of that connection before, but since your vet also says that, maybe it's true, it would be good if the entropion resolves itself without needing surgery.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Canidae all stages is for puppies through adult. Just a suggestion. It might not be as rich as innova puppy food. Or California Natural makes a lamb and rice puppy food.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since Lady is only 48 lbs she of course needs to gain more, and the vet says that puppy food will help her do that better, also she has a very weak immune system, so she's still a puppy in an adult body.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts