Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are looking to purchase our first Dobe. LA Dobies in Effie, LA and Sure Shot Dobermans in Picayune, MS are at the top of our list. I am somewhat hesitant about LA Dobies because of the low price compared to other breeders I have spoken with. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
14,256 Posts
Don't just walk away from these breeders, but RUN. Neither is a good breeder.

There are a lot of good breeders in Texas, if you don't mind driving a bit.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't just walk away from these breeders, but RUN. Neither is a good breeder.

There are a lot of good breeders in Texas, if you don't mind driving a bit.
I have also spoken with Sierra Dobes in Memphis, TN as well as Dillon Dobermans outside of Birmingham, AL. Both of these breeders asked a lot of questions about my home and let me know about all of the DNA testing performed on their dogs. Maybe this is the way to go...

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
I have also spoken with Sierra Dobes in Memphis, TN as well as Dillon Dobermans outside of Birmingham, AL. Both of these breeders asked a lot of questions about my home and let me know about all of the DNA testing performed on their dogs. Maybe this is the way to go...
Hi, welcome to DT. Congrats on becoming a future Doberman person.

I'm a bit confused by your "all the DNA testing" comment.

There are only a couple DNA tests available, currently, for our breed. One is for the PDK4 marker, which is one of the genetic mutations associated with dilated cardiomyopathy in Dobermans (an always-fatal heart disease), and the other is used to confirm DNA status on dogs who have sired a certain number of litters.

All the other health testing that is so very vital, is not done by DNA. Rather, there are blood panels, radiographs sent to OFA, and the all-important 24 hour holter monitor and echocardiograms, that must be done on breeding animals a minimum of once per year.

I'd second the suggestion to read thru that link about how to choose a reputable breeder--this is, sadly, a breed that is riddled with health issues, and nothing sucks much more than having to say goodbye to your dog friend way too young, so try to avoid breeders who "sweet talk" potential customers, and look for action, not talk ;)

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
14,256 Posts
Forget Sierra. They are just as bad as the other two.

My laptop has decided to be cranky, so I can't do a search for any threads about Dillon, but you can either do a search on DT, or else go to google, and enter dillon and Dobermantalk in the search, and Any DT threads will show up.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
14,256 Posts
So do you know about these breeders personally?
Which breeders? The ones you asked about, or the ones in Texas? Personally, I don't know any of them. However, the websites for LA Dobies, Sure Shot, and Sierra Dobies Farms speak for themselves. None of them mention titles or health testing. Also, some of their dogs come from known puppymills.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Dillon looks better but seem to be relying on Meurs negative for their DCM testing. I didn't really dig into the site too much as I'm on my way out the door but health testing (holter/ultrasound) on the parents would be first on my list of questions, as well as longevity in the lines.

·
Extraordimary
5,057 Posts
There are only a couple DNA tests available, currently, for our breed. One is for the PDK4 marker, which is one of the genetic mutations associated with dilated cardiomyopathy in Dobermans (an always-fatal heart disease), and the other is used to confirm DNA status on dogs who have sired a certain number of litters.
Actually, there are a few DNA tests that Dobermans might use.

The DNA test for von Willebrand's disease.

The PDK4 DNA test referenced above.

There is a DNA test for narcolepsy in the breed, although I don't really know anyone who uses it.

I believe there is also one for juvenile renal dysplasia in Dobermans.

And some breeders might also be DNA testing for colour (to know whether or not their Dobermans carry or are able to produce dilution).

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Actually, there are a few DNA tests that Dobermans might use.

The DNA test for von Willebrand's disease.

The PDK4 DNA test referenced above.

There is a DNA test for narcolepsy in the breed, although I don't really know anyone who uses it.

I believe there is also one for juvenile renal dysplasia in Dobermans.

And some breeders might also be DNA testing for colour (to know whether or not their Dobermans carry or are able to produce dilution).
Well, I sit corrected ;)

I forgot the vWD one, which is ironic, since I just sent one off. Those two are really the "common ones."

But, in the context of this discussion, do any of us actually believe that the majority of the breeders mentioned are doing this extensive DNA testing?

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
OP, check these sites out:

Breeders - Good And Bad - DPCA Breeder/Exhibitor Education

DPCA | The Doberman | Breeder Referral

DPCA | The Doberman | Health

Don't take people's word that their dogs are health tested. Many try to act like health tests are merely a health check by their local veterinarian. Ask to see copies if the health certificates.

Stay away from oversize and overweight dobermans. Dobermans are a medium sized breed so they can do the work they were bred for. An oversize doberman will not maintain healthy joints over time or live as long as a correct size doberman.
Good luck on finding a puppy.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Nancy of Dillon Dobermans is VERY reputable and respected in the Doberman community. I have even considered Zeus for one of my girls. I HIGHLY recommend her as a breeder.

·
Shake n' Bake
839 Posts
Nancy is a very nice person and is active in showing and, I believe, a member of the DPCA.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I have been put on the waiting list at Southern Pride Kennels in Madison, MS for a litter she is planning for February/March 2014. I spoke with Becky Floyd today and she really impressed me! My wife and I are going to look at her dogs Saturday. She said she would show me test results for cardiomyopathy, hip dysplasia, hypothyroidism, vWd and something to do with the eyes. She said all tests were negative and also said her dogs had no Z factor. I called a breeder in Missouri that seems to have a good reputation on this website that has dealt with her and I was given the all clear! Can't wait to join the Doberman family! Thanks for turning me away from these other folks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts