Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used this in connection with separation anxiety?

Stormy has really become anxious over the last few months and is now bloodying her nose and generally leaving any given area looking like a butcher shop if she is left alone. (or even with Carson gated in the next room).

I had to have her in the van while I was in with Carson at the vet yesterday, and it looked like a murder scene. (It's the top of the nose being scraped).

I started her on clomipramine a couple weeks ago, too early maybe to tell if that will work, but someone mentioned L-theanine to me.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Emily, have you heard of the Thundershirt? It works for anxiety. Was for dogs that feared thunderstorms, hence the name, but has been shown to work on other anxieties, also. Google it. Am on phone and cant link you, sorry. It works on the same principle of swaddling a baby as the snuggness of the shirt causes the dog to calm down. Better than drugs and probably cheaper, too!:)

·
Super Moderator
22,000 Posts
Have you tried the Dog Appeasing Pheromone (DAP) spray or diffuser? Does the Thundershirt help Stormy? I've given Simon valerian for fireworks anxiety and that seemed to help quite a bit. There are also some prescription drugs on the market that have shown good success with separation anxiety issues.

Reactions: EmilyB

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
might try some rescue remedy
Yes, right! I gave that to her when I first got her, then I ended up giving it away to someone. I'll pick some up for her.

Emily, have you heard of the Thundershirt? It works for anxiety. Was for dogs that feared thunderstorms, hence the name, but has been shown to work on other anxieties, also. Google it. Am on phone and cant link you, sorry. It works on the same principle of swaddling a baby as the snuggness of the shirt causes the dog to calm down. Better than drugs and probably cheaper, too!:)
Yah Linda, she has a TShirt and wears it a lot. It has helped with her pacing behavior, but it's not enough to calm her when I'm gone.

Have you tried the Dog Appeasing Pheromone (DAP) spray or diffuser? Does the Thundershirt help Stormy? I've given Simon valerian for fireworks anxiety and that seemed to help quite a bit. There are also some prescription drugs on the market that have shown good success with separation anxiety issues.
I thought I had actually ordered that once, but I must have imagined it.....she just went to the vet again recently and they had no suggestions, but she wasn't doing the nose thing so bad at the time.

Sigh, I hope I don't have to spend all my time in the health section...

·
Super Moderator
22,000 Posts
Simon has very mild separation anxiety (mostly manifests in the lick granulomas (we're making good progress on the last one...shhhh!)), but he also has some crate anxiety and has rubbed his nose raw and bloody on a crate on several occasions. He did it at the vet when he had to stay there overnight for his heartworm treatment. He's also done it here at home more than once.

One thing you might try sounds completely insane, but both of my dogs respond to it really well. There's a CD called "Through a Dog's Ear" that is designed to calm dogs. It has a lot of research and science behind it. I've seen Shanoa go from pacing and nervous to asleep while listening to it. Our trainer plays it during our reactive dog class, and I've heard a lot of anecdotal stories to suggest it's pretty effective. It's not expensive and is easy to leave on when you're gone (on repeat, of course). Might be worth a try (Amazon.com: Through a Dog's Ear: Music to Calm Your Canine Companion, Volume 1: Joshua Leeds, Lisa Spector: Music).

·
Registered
262 Posts
Willy gets anxious when it storms. Have had some success with Melatonin- 3 mg
right before the storm hits. Have also been recommended a herbal tonic called
"Sleepytime Tonic" but have not had a opportunity to try it. We tried the Thundershirt
but that didn't seem to help much.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Has anyone used this in connection with separation anxiety?

Stormy has really become anxious over the last few months and is now bloodying her nose and generally leaving any given area looking like a butcher shop if she is left alone. (or even with Carson gated in the next room).

I had to have her in the van while I was in with Carson at the vet yesterday, and it looked like a murder scene. (It's the top of the nose being scraped).

I started her on clomipramine a couple weeks ago, too early maybe to tell if that will work, but someone mentioned L-theanine to me.
Try Health Dobes Message #82839

You can also search L-theanine it will bring up a couple of messages.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Try Health Dobes Message #82839

You can also search L-theanine it will bring up a couple of messages.
Thank you, another yahoo group !! I've joined and will get on there soon.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Awww, poor baby. But she doesnt need to hear that.:) I hope you can get her straightened out or her behavior, at least, modified.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I have used L-Theanine. It was prescribed by the veterinary behaviorist for anxiety. She prescribed Anxitane M&L but I used natural L-Theanine because it is the exact same thing, contains less "other" ingredients and was a lot less $$$$. I used it because Sweep had a previous elevated liver enzyme problem and the L-Theanine is NOT processed through the liver. It is processed through the kidneys. I gave it to her for 18 months and it really helped. She has been off of it seven months but I keep it on hand. I used Swanson Suntheanine L-Theanine 100 mg and gave it to her every day.

·
Kats Benson
23 Posts
Hi, my boy has had some success with melatonin. The vet originally prescribed it for his blue dobe alopecia, but a side effect is a calmer dog. Per my vet, try it for 3 months and see if there is improvement. He said he could remain on it indefinitely if it helps. He's just recently started staying outside by himself for short periods, think the melatonin is bringing his anxiety down a notch. Either way, wont hurt to try and really cheap as well. My dobe is 90lb and his dose is 6mg, 3 times daily. I found the tabs in 5mg instead but close enough. Good luck with ur pup!!

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Stormy has been started back on Rescue Remedy, she is started on L-Theanine, still on Clomipramine. I have ordered the DAP.

Yesterday I had to go out. Her nose is a mess again, and she left this meteor shower.

[URL="
[/URL]

This has become typical, with her peeing elsewhere, this time was on the couch.

I have to go out tomorrow and I will leave her access to the whole house.

·
Super Moderator
22,000 Posts
Poor Stormy :(

I was actually thinking of you guys yesterday - I was playing the Through a Dog's Ear CD as I left and wondered how Stormy was doing.

Reactions: EmilyB

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I found that on Amazon.ca so I'm going for that next MC.

It's tough not to be able to help her. It started getting this bad a week or so before we lost Swilly. Not that she hadn't done it in the past, but not every single time I went out.

Perhaps all these calming things and some time to adjust will make a difference.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
This might sound like a weird question but did she get to say goodbye to Swilly? I remember reading about multi-dog households, that if one passes the others should be able to sniff and see the dog that passed. When this doesn't happen, anxiety about the dog's whereabouts can occur with the other dogs.

I believe I read this in one of my dog health magazines but not sure if this holds true, or not.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts