Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Yikes that is brutal. Postal is right. I can just imagine the law suits that will come out of this, I'm sure it will get ugly.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
As I posted earlier I am SO glad that I've been feeding Java to 90% home-made food, the 10% being premium kibble. I almost bought some Wegman's Bruiser brand dog food on Monday, to keep as a back-up in the pantry, but decided against it. Just checked out the Menu product recall list and this brand was listed! So glad I thought the better of picking some up as a back-up. Instead I've bought some additional bags of brown rice and frozen veggies - the rice is easy enough to cook up and freeze.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
For some reason it was instilled in me at a very young age that it was not good to feed your pets "wet" food. I would assume this came from a vet we took our cat to. I remember at a visit he said that if you feed "wet" food, the cats teeth will rot out as they need the dry kibble to keep their teeth clean. So I have never been one who buys canned wet food for my cats or my dog. Every once in a while I would serve it (mosty the damned cuts/gravy!) mixed with Rudi's dry kibble. Before I switched Rudi over to Innova EVO chicken/turkey I was feeding the dry kibble Nutro Natural choice Lamb and Rice. I guess that vets advice was a blessing in disguise. I think I only gave Rudi a few cans over the 2 year span that I have had him and the last can I gave him was probably last summer. If I give him anything other than his dry kibble, it will be a special blend that I create based on the satin balls recipe.
I'll add a dozen scrambled eggs and brown rice along with other things to the recipe. I make them into "hamburger" patties and freeze them.
I would be devastated. I hope there aren't many more pets that die because of this. So sad. :O(

·
Registered
694 Posts
Somewhere in the back of my mind also I have been made to believe feeding the canned was not good...Angie I think it had to do with the teeth too! I am soooo glad that I am not having to deal with this...I would be so devesated. That poor woman...I feel for her that is for sure.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Isabelle was eating food that was on the recall list (nutro large breed - we are taking it back to petsmart) before I switched to the Innova evo. She is fine - Thank God! She still gets wet (innova evo) but only a few tablespoons with her breakfast. Dinner is dry and somethimes she eats it sometimes she dosen't. She has always been a nibbler especially in the summer when it gets hot. She also likes to keep treats around. She stashes them and then eats them later. Who knows. She is an only child so I figure her eating habits have to do with that or she's just weird :). One of my friend involved in cat rescue said they lost 2 kittens. He didn't think sueing would get anywhere with a large corporation. He said they are going to submit the vet bills though and see if they can get something. I personally think they did a poor job of getting the info out & the local media didn't do too much either. A few quick stories here and there. The info about the symptoms and such should have been made know in the post with the recalled foods. Maybe they have done it. I haven't looked. But when I found out isabelle's food was on the list I looked up the sympotms on the internet. It is a very sad situation I feel terrible for the people who have lost animals and I too would be postal if Isabelle would have gotten sick or worse! I wonder if they will ever figure out what happened. I too have heard that wet is bad for their teeth but done know where I heard it.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I have heard it was an ingredient that is used to thicken up the gravy in the canned food. It is mostly used in the "Cuts with gravy" type of canned food. I don't think there is anything to worry about if you dog has eaten only dry kibble from the listed brands affected by this.

I did a lot of research about dog food and cat food back when my ex-bf lived with me and brought along his 3 pit bulls. It was a VERY rude awakening finding out about the truths behind what goes into general pet food. Here is a good link for all of you who have no idea....
http://www.api4animals.org/facts.php?p=359&more=1
http://www.healthypetnet.com/Healthypetnet/home.aspx?realname=
The above links are provided as a resource.
I started buying the holistic Life's Abundance for the cats and dogs...then 2 of my young male cats came down with struvite crystals in their urine and have since had to go on Hills c/d. I by no means think it was this particular food. I called Dr. Bicks and she returned my call regarding my questions about her food and my cats problems. And since I was buying all of the food for MY cats and HIS dogs (long story!) it got to be very expensive but was very informative at the same time. So now I can take care of MY animals the way I wish to. pheeew!

If I wasn't able to find Innova here locally...I would have put Rudi on Life's Abundance and signed up for auto-shipment.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I just was told today by someone at school that her son's cats both died because of one of the foods. I asked her what he fed but she could not remember. One was was 14 and that one died first the other one was 4 and died yesterday in his arms. :( I would be livid and would be sueing for sure!!

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
There was a thing on NPR when I was on my way to lunch - didn't catch the whole story but will look it up later. It sounded interesting I wish I could have listened!

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
What a shame, we had a case here in BC as well, one cat passed the other is being treated.

This is why I love my butcher, my dogs do eat kibble but it's organic and a small company, they get tripe and bones from the local butcher which is what I am comfortable with. The barn cats DO get wet food to keep them at a nice weight in the winter and most of it's donated as they are all rescues.

I am like others wet food = bad!!! LOL

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
My dogs ate Nutro and I live in Los Angeles, so this story makes me cry....I cannot imagine how she feels.
Since my spoiled rottens will not eat their dry food without a hint of wet food I have purchased Solid Gold. Any feedback on that brand of food?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
We do not have the dogs on any of the food on the recall but I was feeding my cat the Nutro pouches. Pepper used to get one every night but she started putting on weight so I cut her back to every other night. She gets dry food and has all her life but after our last cat passed away and we got Titus I started giving her the pouch food as a treat. She is 10 years old and does not look it or act it. The vet was very surprised at her last visit and said that her teeth look great for her age. She has not even needed a dental cleaning. I'm sure that is because I waited until she was much older before I started give her moist food. I just love her and I have been keeping an eye on her. I think (and hope) that she is going to be fine. I have not noticed any problems with her.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
They said on the news tonight pets that have eaten the foods listed maybe in the thousands before it is over. Very sad so many lost alot of people tell me they cannot afford the better foods just do not know if it is worth feeding grocery store brands sure glad I do not think my Fur Kids eat better than I do.my sister feds her Boston Beneful they think it is a great food poor ole Boston is so fat he can hardly walk looked up the ingredients has sugar in it guess that is why the dog likes it.
Patches Mom

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I think the dry foods from these listed brands are fine. It is just the canned food with "gravy" that they are finding the problem. I think if people stay will the lower cost brands "dry" food they will be ok.

All pet owners are in my prayers as this unfolds.

edited: I meant the dry foods are FINE......as in not contaminated....what they are made of is a different story. yuk!

·
Registered
694 Posts
I think that those dogs that refuse to eat just because it isn't wet....well...they will eat the dry kibble if they got hungry enough, lol...better safe than sorry.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
I was at the vet's yesterday picking up meds for Isabelle and told them that she had eaten some of the food - needless to say She's going in next week to check. They say symptoms can show up between 1 and 60 days. So far she isn't symptomatic (knock on wood) but with her I just need some piece of mind. So my regular vet is back in town monday so I will call her monday morning. Just thought I'd share that tid bit.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts